The flu is a respiratory infection caused by a virus which is easily spread and affects different areas of our body such as the nose, lungs and throat. Although it can be confused with a cold due to some of its symptoms, in the case of the flu they occur much more quickly (between 2 and 3 days after infection). In addition, this infection is identified by its own signs such as high fever, dry cough, pain in the body and even nausea and vomiting.
Although it is recommended that during the condition you rest absolutely and take the medications assigned to you by your doctor, flu symptoms can also improve with the use of some natural remedies. One of the most popular is the mixture of garlic and lemon, as both ingredients have excellent medicinal properties. That is why in the following article of we explain how to cure the flu with garlic and lemon. Notes!
Properties of garlic to cure the flu
Garlic is a plant that is used as an ingredient for different food dishes, but it can also be used as a natural remedy for a wide variety of health problems. For example, there are great benefits of garlic ideal for treating diseases like this, which specifically are given thanks to the properties of garlic to treat the flu:
- Antibacterial properties: its richness in active ingredients such as allicin, make this vegetable a powerful natural antibiotic. Thanks to this, garlic can relieve some of its symptoms such as high fever, chills and sore throat that can cause the flu. In addition, these properties eliminate the bacteria that may be causing this condition.
- Analgesic properties: the high content of essential oils and minerals, provide this vegetable with an analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect that helps us relieve other symptoms such as body and headaches.
- Expectorant properties: thanks to this benefit, garlic is a good remedy to treat the flu since it reduces dry cough and other symptoms in the airways such as nasal congestion, secretions, sore throat and nausea that can cause the accumulation of secretions in these pathways.
Lemon Benefits for Treating the Flu
Lemon is a fruit rich in different nutrients very effective against the flu, such as flavonoids, vitamins C and B6, minerals (including calcium and magnesium) and some acids such as citrus. All these nutrients allow there to be the following properties of lemon to cure the flu:
- Expectorant properties: its richness in essential oils give it these benefits that relieve some flu symptoms such as cough, secretions and congestion in both the nose and throat.
- Anti-influenza properties: lemon is rich in citric acid and flavonoids, which gives it antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and anti-influenza properties that fight the viruses that cause the flu. In addition, its habitual consumption also helps prevent this type of viral infections.
- Diaphoretic properties: its high content of alpha pinene acid also helps relieve symptoms such as high fever and, consequently, chills as it regulates our body temperature because it helps us sweat.
- Immune properties: lemon increases the defenses of our immune system as it stimulates the production of white blood cells in our body.
Therefore, for these reasons lemon is effective against numerous flu symptoms, such as headache, sore throat, chills and fever.
How to cure the flu with garlic and lemon – very effective remedy
Now that we know both the properties of garlic and lemon, here we explain how to cure the flu with garlic and lemon by preparing this simple home remedy. To do this, you just have to gather these ingredients and follow the next step by step:
- 6 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 glass of water
Preparation and treatment
- First heat a glass of water in the microwave to boil it. Then let it cool down.
- Now you will have to peel 6 cloves of garlic and cut it into pieces. Then add them to a blender next to the boiled water once it is cold.
- Then cut a lemon in two and squeeze both halves and pour the juice into the same container as the water and garlic.
- Process it all until you get a kind of syrup.
- Store the concoction in a glass or glass jar and take 3 tablespoons a day until symptoms improve.
Other recipes with lemon and garlic to fight the flu
In addition to the above remedy, you can also try some of the following remedies that carry lemon and garlic:
- Lemon and onion syrup: this vegetable has excellent antibacterial and antiseptic properties, so onions are widely used for colds, flu and other similar conditions. To prepare it, peel an onion, cut it into slices and place them in a glass jar. Cover the slices with half a glass of honey and add the juice of two lemons. Let it rest everything for 1 day in a dark and cool place and when it is ready, take 3 tablespoons a day.
- Garlic and turmeric tea: This spice is a powerful anti-inflammatory making it ideal for some symptoms such as headaches. To use turmeric with garlic to cure the flu, prepare an infusion by mixing a clove of garlic with boiled water and half a tablespoon of turmeric and, when ready, take it once a day.
- Garlic, lemon and apple cider vinegar drink: boil two cups of water and then add 4 crushed garlic cloves, a tablespoon of vinegar and the juice of a lemon. Let it sit the ingredients for a long time and then take a tablespoon a day.