Sinusitis is a condition that causes inflammation in the sinuses, which are spaces inside the nose located, on the one hand, in the nasal bridge (ethmoid and sphenoid sinuses), near the nostrils (maxillary sinus) and, on the other hand, in the forehead (frontal sinuses). This nasal condition is usually the symptom of the development of another health problem, usually a flu or other disease of a bacterial nature and related to the respiratory system.
In addition to going to the doctor to diagnose us and assign us the best treatment for this problem in the nose, we can also resort to different natural remedies to improve this discomfort. One of the best home treatments is lemon, as it has medicinal properties that can help us relieve the different symptoms of the disease. Therefore, in the following article of we explain how to cure sinusitis with lemon. Read!
Causes and symptoms of sinusitis
Sinusitis is a disease that causes inflammation and infection in the sinuses, spaces or gaps located in the inner area of the nose. It can be of four different types: acute (which lasts four weeks), subaguada (approximately four to twelve weeks), chronic (more than twelve weeks) and recurrent (occurs in specific cases over a year).
There are many causes that can cause sinusitis, being among the most common those that below, we list:
- Infections caused by viruses and bacteria such as flu, asthma or allergy.
- Inhaling or being exposed to harmful substances such as tobacco smoke or air pollution.
- Deviated nasal septum.
- Introduction of objects into the nose, something very common in children.
- Inadequate oral hygiene.
- Abuse of nasal decongestants.
Among the symptoms of sinusitis, we find the following:
- Sharp pain in the front of the head and sinuses.
- Pain in other areas such as teeth, jaw and eyes, among others.
- Nasal congestion, cough and lack of smell.
- Fever and malaise.
- Feeling of having an inflamed face.
Properties of lemon to cure sinusitis
There are different home remedies to cure sinusitis and relieve its annoying symptoms, but one of the most effective is the use of lemon juice. This fruit has a richness in nutrients such as flavonoids, acids, essential oils, vitamins (C and B6) and minerals (calcium, potassium and magnesium), which gives it great properties and health benefits. These are the main properties of lemon to treat sinusitis:
- Thanks to its richness in essential oils, such as citric acid, lemon is an excellent remedy to reduce some symptoms of colds and sinusitis, such as nasal congestion and cough, due to its expectorant properties. In addition, thanks to its antibacterial and anti-influenza properties, it also helps fight infections that cause this nasal disorder.
- Another symptom of sinusitis that can reduce this fruit is fever. Its alpha pinene content also gives it diaphoretic properties, which help regulate body temperature and lower very high fever.
- This fruit is very rich in vitamin C, which gives it powerful immune-boosting properties. Thanks to them, lemon favors the production of white blood cells and, therefore, helps to increase defenses. In this way, we can prevent the appearance of infections and reduce them that cause sinusitis.
- Finally, this food is also an excellent remedy to reduce other symptoms, such as acute pain in both the head and sinuses. Its richness in different acids (especially caffeine) gives it a very good effect against migraines, as it is anti-inflammatory and analgesic.
Learn more about what are the healing properties of lemon with this other article.
How to prepare lemon to cure sinusitis
Now that we know the properties of lemon to cure sinusitis, then we will explain how to use lemon for sinusitis with this home remedy. To do this, we will need to have the following ingredients in our kitchen and follow these simple steps:
- Peel of 2 lemons.
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- 1 liter of water.
- 1 tablespoon of natural honey.
Preparation and treatment
- First of all, we will boil in a saucepan a liter of mineral water.
- When the water begins to heat up, add the peels of two lemons. Remember to wash them to remove any dirt.
- Once the water reaches its boiling point, add the juice of a whole lemon to the same saucepan and let everything cook for 20 minutes.
- Once the aforementioned time has passed, turn off the heat, cover the saucepan and let the mixture sit for 10 more minutes. You will already have ready the lemon infusion that will relieve the symptoms of sinusitis.
- Pour the mixture into a cup and add a tablespoon of honey to improve its flavor.
- Store the rest in a glass bottle with lemon peels to take it in later days.
Take 2 cups a day of this infusion until you begin to notice that the symptoms are reducing. However, in addition to trying this home remedy, it is important that you go to the doctor to assign you the most appropriate treatment for you.
Vahos with lemon to cure sinusitis
Another very effective option to cure sinusitis with lemon is to make mists or vapors with this citrus. In this case you can use lemon slices, the zest of the peel and / or a few drops of the essential oil. To do this you have to boil between 1 and 2 liters of water and when it breaks to boil add the lemon in the format you prefer and in quantity, if you use the essential oil with 20 drops it will be enough.
Let it boil for 5 minutes over high heat so that it integrates well and remove it carefully, leave it on the countertop and place your face on top covering yourself with a towel to take advantage of all the steam. Breathe in through the nose and exhale through the mouth during the time you hold or until steam stops coming out, you can go withdrawing to breathe better or air in some moments but do not remove the towel from the pot so that the steam is better retained.
You can do it 2 times a day until you feel better and combine it with the medication prescribed by your doctor and with the infusion mentioned above.