When you have diarrhea, one of the most common remedies in homes is to drink lemon juice. It is a tip that has been used since ancient times and that passes from family to family. However, is lemon really good for removing diarrhea? It is one of the most common questions you can ask yourself when using a natural remedy.
In we are going to give you an answer to this question of which we already anticipate that the answer is “yes”. In fact, it is the best way to end colitis and discomfort in the digestive system, although it should not always be taken either. It all depends on the cause of the diarrhea.
Main causes and symptoms of diarrhea
Diarrhea is an inflammation of the large intestine or colon area that manifests itself through various symptoms:
- Pain in the abdomen, which is also noticeable as more relaxed.
- Softer stools than usual, which can even become practically liquid.
- Bloody stools.
- Having a lot of desire to defecate and very often.
Causes of diarrhea
These symptoms may appear in response to the onset of diarrhea, which can occur from the following causes:
- A food poisoning.
- Infections caused by a virus, bacteria, or parasites.
- Food intolerances.
- Having ischemic colitis disease.
- Having radiation enteritis.
- Necrotizing enterocolitis.
- Pseudomembranous colitis that is caused by a Clostridium difficile infection.
Although lemon is good for diarrhea, it is not really convenient to take it (unless medically indicated) when you have a disease of the intestine or digestive system. Actually, this citrus is good for that colitis produced when something has not sat very well (but without becoming important food poisonings such as salmonella), indigestion or, as they say popularly, we have caught cold in the gut.
The properties of lemon to remove diarrhea
Lemon has always been associated with the digestive system in terms of health. And it is that properties are not lacking for it. Although its somewhat acidic taste may not be very pleasant and even somewhat annoying, the truth is that it has many benefits:
- Acidity: Lemon has a lot of citric acid. Precisely, this component has an alkalizing effect on the human being, helping to balance the pH of the person. This contributes to diarrhea not occurring because the digestive system is in balance. An effect that the body perceives, especially when lemon is taken on an empty stomach.
- Vitamins and minerals: Lemon is rich in vitamin C and minerals such as magnesium and calcium. These components are key to strengthening the person's immune system. Because of this particularity, lemon helps relieve colitis because it contributes to the digestive system being clean of viruses or parasites.
- Bioflavonoids: these antioxidants present in lemon act in the body as an antibiotic.
- Pectin: lemon also contains it and is of great help in lowering inflammation. One more reason to use this citrus to treat colitis because diarrhea leads to inflammation of the intestine, even if it is not noticed.
How to remove diarrhea quickly with lemon
Lemon can be taken in many ways to end diarrhea, although there are a number of home and natural remedies that are very quick and easy to prepare:
- Take the juice of a lemon for diarrhea: in this case, you just have to take a lemon and squeeze it. This juice should be taken directly when extracting it so that it does not lose properties.
- Eat lemon: If you don't have much time, one of the quickest options is to eat a piece of lemon. You don't need to eat the peels, but you do need to eat the citrus segments. The taste is strong and you may then notice the tongue and, above all, the lips a little irritated.
- Dressing: another option is to dress, for example, the salad with a few drops of lemon or add them to the grilled fish.
- Lemon with water: If you were wondering if lemon water is good for diarrhea, the answer is yes. In addition, it is one of the most basic recipes, although it is a combination that has several alternatives.
How to drink water with lemon for diarrhea
- One of them is to mix the lemon juice with water to take it. Its advantage is that the flavor softens quite a bit. It is better not to prepare a lot of it so that no properties are lost and take the freshly squeezed juice.
- Another option is to take a bottle, jug or very large glass to fill it with water and add a few pieces of lemon. Before throwing them out, it is important that you wash the lemon well to remove any remaining dirt on your skin.
Other recipes with lemon to remove diarrhea
In addition to the recipes in the previous section, there are other ways to take lemon for diarrhea:
- Baking soda: This recipe is prepared by mixing the water with the lemon juice and adding a tablespoon of baking soda. You just have to mix everything well and drink it.
- Infusion: making a lemon tisane is also a very effective remedy. You just have to put a little water to heat with pieces of citrus. It's like a normal infusion.
From we hope to have helped you with these explanations so that you know if lemon is good to remove diarrhea. For any episode or symptom, remember to consult with a doctor.