Home remedies made with natural ingredients are not miraculous, but they can help us improve some basic processes of the body and, in general, our health. Among these natural preparations, there is one that has been used for years to combat ailments such as annoying colds or flu: garlic and honey syrup, a popular remedy in many homes because both ingredients with which it is made have great properties for health, among which its anti-inflammatory power and its expectorant effect stand out.
However, in addition to these excellent properties to alleviate some health problems, the preparation of honey and garlic has other equally important uses. Do you want to know them? Keep reading this article and find out more about the mixture of honey and garlic: benefits and how to take it.
Honey and garlic: properties and benefits
As we have indicated, garlic and honey syrup is a very popular remedy in homes, since its natural ingredients are full of essential nutrients for our health. On the one hand, honey is a natural substance produced by nectar collected by bees that stands out for its richness in enzymes, carbohydrates, vitamins (especially group B), phenolic compounds, organic acids and minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.
On the other hand, garlic is also a product full of healing properties, as this bulb of a perennial plant that stands out for its content of amino acids such as alliin and allicin (responsible for its characteristic flavor) and other nutrients such as quercetin, essential oils, vitamin B6 and C and minerals such as potassium, calcium selenium and manganese.
Due to this nutritional richness of both foods, these are the main properties and benefits of honey and garlic preparation:
- Circulatory properties: due to the oils and acid of both ingredients, the syrup has a powerful anticoagulant effect that activates the blood flow of our body and prevents some related problems such as varicose veins and thrombosis.
- Cardiovascular properties: thanks to the allicin richness of garlic and honey enzymes, this remedy is also a good option to reduce both high cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. In addition, due to these properties, the mixture of these products also prevents some cardiovascular problems such as high blood pressure.
- Depurative properties: This remedy also helps eliminate the accumulation of fluids and other toxins within the body through urine, which is ideal for preventing fluid retention and relieving some related ailments such as gout and rheumatism.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: due to the richness in essential oils and amino acids of garlic, this remedy also has anti-inflammatory properties that are of great help to fight diseases such as arthritis.
- Respiratory properties: Garlic and honey have antimicrobial and antifungal properties that help eliminate viruses that cause diseases such as colds and flus. In addition, thanks to its expectorant power, it is also used as a natural syrup to relieve typical symptoms such as cough, sore throat and fever.
How to take honey and garlic
Now that we know the properties that these natural ingredients give us, then we will explain how to take honey and garlic with this simple step by step. You will only have to get the following amounts:
- 335 grams of honey from bees
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 glass bottle with lid
Preparation and treatment
- First of all, you will have to peel and chop the garlic cloves until you get a few small slices.
- Next, pour the honey that we have indicated and the garlic that we have chopped into a glass bottle with a lid.
- Once you have added them, place the lid of the bottle and let the ingredients macerate for a week in a cool, dark place.
- After the indicated time, you will have the honey and garlic syrup ready.
Consume 1 tablespoon a day on an empty stomach (either alone or diluted in some warm water) for 7 days in a row. Then, rest for a few weeks and, if necessary, resume consumption.
How to take garlic, honey and cinnamon
In addition to the previous recipe, we can also add other ingredients such as cinnamon to our garlic and honey syrup. This spice has a richness in flavonoids and essential oils that would enhance the circulatory and antimicrobial properties of this combination, which is especially useful if we are using it to relieve viral processes or circulatory problems.
Preparation and treatment
- To prepare this recipe, we will need the same amounts that we have used for the previous remedy but adding 1 sprig of cinnamon to the mixture.
- In this case, we would add to a glass bottle 10 peeled and chopped garlic along with the cinnamon and the 335 grams of honey. Then, we would have to let macerate for 3 days in a cool and dark place.
- In this case, we would also take a tablespoon on an empty stomach (or diluted in a glass of warm water) for 7 days in a row. Then we would rest for 10 days and return to the remedy if necessary.
If this information has been useful to you, do not miss these other articles on to fight the cold with home remedies, Foods to increase defenses and Foods rich in antioxidants.