Every day more people include turmeric in their diet, and this plant is popular for having a bitter taste and giving off a pleasant smell. Although it is known, above all, for being used in the kitchen, it is also frequently used to provide a series of benefits to our body thanks to its medicinal properties. It can be consumed in various ways, but one of the most common to take advantage of its properties is the capsule format.
Properties of turmeric capsule
Turmeric root, as we have mentioned before, is not only efficient in the kitchen, but also has a series of beneficial properties for health that make it an excellent medicinal plant. To summarize, these are the main properties of turmeric :
- Anti- inflammatory: both applied externally and internally, it can help you suppress the activity of the molecules responsible for inflammation.
- Antioxidant: thanks to its essential oil content and other active ingredients, this root helps fight free radicals, which is why it is frequently used to slow down the oxidation of cells.
- Hepatoprotective and choleretic: protects the liver and improves its functioning and, at the same time, stimulates the functioning of the gallbladder and the production of bile.
- Digestive and satiating: it helps you have a light digestion and avoids gastric reflux and other problems related to digestion. It also helps to feel fuller and, therefore, not to overeat, while digestion is better.
- Anticancer: because it helps eliminate toxic substances and waste that accumulate in the body, because it helps important organs, such as the liver, to function better and because it protects cells with its antioxidant properties, this medicinal plant is considered to be It can help reduce the risk of certain types of cancer.
- Hypolipidemic: turmeric helps reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, in addition to having antioxidant properties, so it can help protect the heart and the entire blood system.
- Antispasmodic: its composition serves to prevent muscle spasms or relieve them until they are reduced.
- Bactericide: it is also a medicinal plant with antibacterial properties, so it helps prevent and treat some infections caused by bacteria.
All this is due to its composition rich in essential oil with turmerone and zingiberene, curcumin, curcumoids and resins.
What is turmeric in capsules for – benefits
As you may have already noticed after reading the above, eating turmeric can help you with certain health problems, as well as prevent their appearance. Still don't know exactly what turmeric capsules are for ? Here we detail the main benefits of taking turmeric in capsules:
- Relieves digestive problems: it can relieve gas, inflammation, swelling and heartburn because turmeric helps you digest food, especially those with more fat to avoid heavy digestion.
- Regulates the menstrual cycle: healing qualities are attributed to it in this situation, it also normalizes irregular cycles, increases vaginal discharge and consequently reduces pain, especially during premenstrual syndrome.
- Improves breathing: turmeric has been used against respiratory disorders such as asthma, allergies, colds, coughs and bronchitis because it expands blood vessels, thus improving the oxygenation of your body.
- It provides benefits to the liver: it can help you prevent liver diseases such as fatty liver, cirrhosis, hepatitis… Although it is thought so, evidence on this is still lacking.
- It can help prevent cancer: this is because it helps protect cells, which is why it has been linked to reducing the risk of colon, prostate, breast, duodenum and skin cancer.
- Helps prevent neurodegenerative diseases: thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, this food can be used to prevent to a certain extent and to support medical treatment and thus reduce the symptoms of diseases such as Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's.
- Protects the heart: turmeric prevents the accumulation of cholesterol and the formation of blood clots, so it can prevent both cardiovascular and circulatory problems.
- Improves the immune system: although it has not been studied enough in people, it is believed that turmeric could cure bacterial or viral infections, since it increases defenses.
- Reduces arthritis pain: thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, it can help you reduce the pain caused by this problem. In this link you will find information on How to take turmeric for arthritis .
- Helps lose weight: if you want to lose weight, research has indicated that, if you use turmeric as part of a balanced diet and a healthy life with daily exercise, it can help you achieve your goals. This is because turmeric inhibits the growth of fatty tissue and hinders the conversion of sugars into fatty acids. If you want to lose weight with the help of this root, we recommend this other post on How to consume turmeric to lose weight .
How to take turmeric in capsules – indications
Today, turmeric can be consumed in various forms: powdered as a condiment in meals, in infusions, applied to the skin, in the form of syrup or in the form of capsules. This last format, that of capsules, is the one that offers a high concentration of turmeric and all its components, but especially curcumin, which makes it provide the maximum benefits to your body.
It is advisable to take the turmeric capsules according to the instructions on the package: 1 capsule a day before breakfast and use water to help swallow it. Turmeric in capsules is normally used as a food supplement, so it is recommended to consult a doctor or nutritionist before taking it, the specialist will indicate the guidelines to follow to ingest them, since in each case they may vary with respect to what it indicates the container, something that depends on the state of health of each person.
In addition, it is not recommended to consume it for long periods of time, so you have to talk to your doctor about the frequency with which you take this food supplement in capsules.
Contraindications of turmeric in capsules
Turmeric brings great advantages to your body, but there are a number of considerations to take into account, since although it does not have many contraindications, you have to be careful. Thus, these are the main contraindications of turmeric capsules :
- Do not abuse its consumption, since you could get diarrhoea, inflammation, ulcers.
- If you suffer from kidney disease, it is not recommended to ingest turmeric without first consulting the doctor who is treating you, since it could produce an adverse effect to the one you were looking for.
- During pregnancy and lactation you should also refrain from eating this food, as its effects have not been fully tested.
- If you have gallstones you should not take turmeric under any circumstances, as it stimulates the production of bile and this would further clog the gallbladder ducts by enlarging the stones or forming new ones.
- If you have sensitive skin, do not use turmeric topically. Although in principle you can take it in capsules, do not open them to use the powder on the skin for any type of treatment, unless you specify it first with your doctor.