Have you heard of the badass? There are many people who do not know of the existence of this plant and, therefore, do not know how they can take advantage of the benefits that it is capable of bringing to our body. The malojillo is a plant with long leaves (they can measure more than 1 meter) popularly known as lemongrass, lemon balm, lemongrass, lemongrass, lemongrass, pajete, lemongrass, holy cane, fever grass, lemon straw, lemongrass, Paraguayan lemon verbena or lemon verbena, among other names.
What is malojillo and its properties
The malojillo is known as an aromatic herb of the grass family; It is an evergreen plant that is found mostly in warm climates and grows continuously. Due to its pleasant lemon smell , it is also called lemongrass. This plant has a large number of properties:
Sometimes, the malojillo is also used as an insect repellent and can even be used in cosmetics and perfumery. As we can see, thanks to its properties this herb is considered a great medicinal plant. If you want to discover a more complete list of the properties of lemongrass , take a look at this other article.
What is the malojillo for: benefits and uses
The malojillo can be consumed in various ways to take advantage of all the benefits it provides, as we will see later. However, below, we want to tell you what these benefits are:
- Detoxification of the body : thanks to its diuretic properties, malojillo is an herb that fights toxins in the body, thus contributing to a better functioning of the kidneys and liver, among other organs. Lemon grass eliminates accumulated fats in the body and helps maintain the health of the digestive system.
- Helps reduce nervousness – Another benefit of lemongrass is that it is perfect for reducing nervousness and stress, as well as seizures and vertigo symptoms. This is due to its great relaxing properties, also perfect for stimulating the mind.
- Helps fight insomnia : also closely linked to its relaxing properties, since lemongrass is capable of relaxing muscles and, consequently, fighting episodes of insomnia.
- Helps prevent respiratory disorders : this plant also prevents colds and coughs, as its high content of vitamin C can help you fight cold symptoms such as nasal congestion or other symptoms associated with the flu.
- Perfect for fighting infections : malojillo tea is also very effective against skin infections, scabies, athlete's foot and even urinary tract infections. This is possible thanks to its antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
- Helps prevent disorders of the digestive system : Possessing antispasmodic properties, lemongrass can also help you relieve menstrual cramps and stomach aches.
- It repels mosquitoes and other insects : as we have already mentioned, malojillo is also often used as a mosquito repellent, since the citric smell of the lemon of this plant is very annoying for insects.
How to take malojillo
To benefit from the benefits of this herb, it is best to take malojillo in the form of tea or infusion. If you want to make this tea, you just have to follow the instructions below:
- Put a liter of water to boil and, when it is boiling, add 15 or 20 grams of malojillo leaves.
- Turn off the heat and let the infusion sit for 10 minutes.
- The last step in making lemongrass tea is to strain the result and drink it.
In turn, and as we have already indicated, this infusion can be prepared as a home remedy for certain problems. Here ‘s how to prepare lemongrass depending on what you want to use it for:
- To improve the digestive system, colds or colic : add a tablespoon of this dried herb together with a piece of ginger and two cups of water. Let the mixture boil for 7 minutes and, once it is ready, let the tea sit for a while and consume it twice a day.
- To combat Pylori bacteria : this bacterium is often the cause of various stomach problems, the symptoms of which can be relieved by drinking malojillo tea. Prepare this infusion with two liters of water and a few branches of malojillo. Not only should you not add more ingredients, but you should avoid sweetening this infusion, as it could worsen the health of your stomach. Drink this tea a couple or three times a day until you notice improvements.
- For insomnia : in a pot with water, add a few leaves of valerian and malojillo and let the mixture boil. Then, turn off the heat and let the infusion rest; it is best to drink the tea about 30 minutes before going to sleep.
- For menstrual discomfort : put a cup of water on the fire and when it is boiling, add a few branches of malojillo, a small spoonful of anise and chamomile flowers. After turning off the heat, wait about 10 minutes, strain the infusion and drink it when you need it most.
- Malojillo for wounds : if you have been hit or have a wound, you can place malojillo tea directly on the affected site or apply the leaves in a compress and put it on the wound. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties of malojillo will help reduce pain.
- Lemongrass for weight loss: If lemongrass is believed to be a perfect herb to lose those extra kilos, it is due, in large part, to its diuretic and detoxifying properties. To make malojillo to lose weight, you will have to put a liter of water to boil and, after a few minutes, add the well-chopped stems of the herb in question. Return the mixture to the heat and let it sit for another 5 minutes. Strain the result and pour the liquid into a cup along with a little lemon juice. Drink without sweetening the infusion, because this way you will be able to see the results in less time.
Contraindications of the malojillo
There are not too many contraindications when taking malojillo, but you do have to keep these tips in mind:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding , do not ingest this infusion under any circumstances, as it could pass into the milk and be transmitted to the baby, which could be harmful to it.
- Like all medicinal plants, it is recommended not to exceed the dose that is ingested each day. You should not drink more than two or three cups daily .
- Prepare malojillo tea in low concentrations, since otherwise it could be toxic to your body.
- If you are taking any medication, especially antibiotics, consult your doctor before taking malojillo, as it can cause interactions with said medication and could be harmful to your health.
- In the event of any reaction to this infusion, do not ingest it any more and go to a doctor to be examined, as you could have an allergy or intolerance to this plant , although it is not common for this to happen.