Looking for a natural way to cleanse your liver? Whether you need it for having fatty liver or some type of poisoning, or if you do it from time to time to maintain good health, it is a proper practice because it is important to clean the liver, as well as the gallbladder, because elements such as bile, bile mud or toxins that produce various health problems can accumulate. However, it is necessary that the cleaning is supervised by a doctor.
You may have noticed that there are many natural products that offer us properties for this aspect of our health, but one of the best is undoubtedly boldo, cimarron, bolder, lemongrass, romadizo lemon or Peumus boldus. For this reason, in we explain how to clean the liver with boldo, either taking the infusion alone or also using lemon and dandelion, two other very effective ingredients for liver cleanses.
Properties of boldo to cleanse the liver
Before deciding to take any remedy, it is convenient to know what nutrients it has and, therefore, what it really contributes to our body. Thus, the composition of boldo is mainly formed by essential oils, such as eucalyptol and ascaridiol, alkaloids, such as boldine, and also contains flavonoids, coumarin and tannins, among other nutrients in smaller quantities.
By this composition, it has mainly antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, digestive, cholagogue and choleretic properties, so it cleanses the liver, the gallbladder and purifies the bile. Specifically in the case that interests us in this article, the properties of boldo tea to cleanse the liver are choleretic, cholagogues and anti-inflammatory.
- Choleretic properties: this means that it increases the natural production of bile, favoring digestions and helping to recover the usual functions of the gallbladder and liver.
- Cholagogue properties: so, it facilitates the expulsion of bile, eliminating bile mud or even helping to expel gallstones that obstruct the gallbladder and / or liver.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: It is good to take advantage of the healing properties of boldo that deflate tissues for liver cleansing, since a damaged liver, whether intoxicated or fatty, can be more or less inflamed.
You can expand this information by consulting this other article on the Benefits of Boldo for Fatty Liver.
How boldo tea is taken to cleanse the liver
To make this treatment for the liver with boldo the best thing is first to consult with the doctor everything necessary about the state of general health, the causes why our liver is not healthy or, if it is really necessary that we do this type of cleaning, as well as the best way to take it in our case. The doctor can prescribe some medication, boldo capsules or, as we will tell below, drink tea or infusion of boldo on an empty stomach and throughout the day, well scheduled.
So, to make boldo tea for a liver cleanse, put these ingredients together and follow these indications:
- 1 and a half cup of water
- 1 tablespoon boldo leaves
- Stevia or honey (optional and to taste)
Preparation and treatment
- Bring the water to a boil and when the boiling begins add the boldo.
- Stir a little and leave the medium heat.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the pot or saucepan from the stove and cover it, letting it sit for 5 more minutes.
- Strain the tea, removing the leaves and debris, and when it is warm take it. You can add Stevia or honey if you don't like the taste.
- Take 2 cups a day. Specifically, 1 cup of boldo infusion on an empty stomach and 1 cup after eating.
Fasting will help you activate the gallbladder and liver more effectively, the rest of the shots throughout the day is better done after meals because it will also facilitate digestion. Therefore, you can drink a maximum of 3 cups a day, adding one after dinner, but it is only advised in cases where a deep liver or biliary cleanse is needed. Find out more details about How to take boldo in this other article.
How to cleanse the liver with boldo and lemon
Another option is to add lemon to the infusion, as it is another natural ingredient that, thanks to its acids and vitamins, helps eliminate fats and toxins and also facilitates digestion. How to detoxify the liver with boldo and lemon? It is very simple; you just have to take note of how to prepare infusion of boldo and lemon.
- 2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon boldo
- Juice of half a lemon
Preparation and treatment
- Boil the water and when the boiling begins add the leaves.
- Set the medium heat and allow it to boil for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the pot and cover it to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the half lemon and set aside.
- Strain the tea, add the lemon juice and when it is warm drink it.
- Take 2 cups daily, it is best to take 1 cup on an empty stomach and 1 cup after eating. In this case, as the treatment is stronger, it is not advisable to extend to three doses.
- The amount already indicated gives you to take the two cups of infusion a day, so the leftover can be reserved in a bottle in the refrigerator.
We recommend that you check out this other remedy that includes this citrus in this other article on How to Cleanse the Liver with Olive Oil and Lemon.
How to do a liver cleanse with boldo and dandelion
If you are wondering how to use boldo to cleanse the fatty liver and eliminate hepatotoxic toxins because you are looking for a powerful remedy, for example if you suffer from fatty liver, gallstones or have liver poisoning, you can use this plant next to dandelion. It is a very diuretic, anti-inflammatory and detoxifying plant, so it favors the cleansing of the liver, as well as that of the kidneys and other organs. Follow these instructions to clean your liver with boldo and dandelion.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon boldo
- 1 tablespoon dandelion
- Stevia or honey (optional)
- Put the water to heat and when it boils add the leaves of the two plants.
- Leave the medium heat and boil for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, set aside the saucepan and cover so that it rests for 5 minutes.
- Strain, add if you want something sweetening and once warm drink the tea.
- Drink 2 cups a day, but it is best to take 1 cup on an empty stomach and another after eating. Again, being more powerful, it is not advisable to extend to three doses unless recommended by the doctor.
The amount mentioned in this recipe gives to prepare the two daily doses, so what about after each dose refrigerate it for the next.
How long boldo can be taken
This is a very frequent doubt when starting to take this treatment. The correct thing is to follow the guidelines of the private doctor but, in general, you can take the boldo for a maximum of 3 weeks in a row. Then it is necessary to rest between 2 and 3 more weeks, during which it is not advisable to take anything that stimulates liver cleansing or, in cases where it is very necessary, that it is something softer and recommended by our doctor.
Contraindications to liver cleansing with boldo
Although as we have seen the boldo to cleanse the liver is really effective, it is necessary that before taking it we know the main contraindications of the boldo to cleanse the liver, since in these cases it is better that we look for another remedy or treatment.
- If you are a pregnant woman or if you are breastfeeding.
- If you suffer from severe and/or chronic liver disease.
- If there is a major obstruction of the bile ducts, that is, in severe cases when it is not just biliary mud or small stones.
Possible Side Effects of Boldo Tea
Finally, it is also advisable to know the possible side effects of taking boldo to cleanse the liver or for other purposes. If taken incorrectly, for example in excess by daily amount or by prolonged treatment, these are the most common side effects:
- Mild diarrhea.
- Hypnotic effect.
- Auditory and visual hallucinations.