Blood pressure worries many people, and that is that hypertension or high blood pressure can become a major health problem. On many occasions, when the person takes the tension, he does not know very well when the blood pressure can be considered normal, low or elevated because there are cases in which, apparently, there is no clear answer. For example, this happens when you have a blood pressure of 120/100 because the systolic value could be within normal, while the diastolic would seem high. But what happens if the two values are analyzed together? Is blood pressure normal at 120/100? In, we give you the answer. Is blood pressure normal at 120/100?
The answer to this question is not a simple ‘yes' or ‘no' because there is no clinical consensus on the parameters for determining whether or not a blood pressure is normal. In general, the guidelines of the World Health Organization (WHO), which created a system with blood pressure values, are followed.
Following this system, we see that the blood pressure of 120 is a systolic value that would be within normality, being also the limit to not have hypertension. On the contrary, the blood pressure of 100 is a diastolic value that would indicate a high tension, being able to diagnose as a hypertension in stage 2.
Despite this, this blood pressure could be within normality when studying the two values together. Anyway, as we have said before, there is no medical consensus, being very important to also take into account the relationship between systolic and diastolic value. In addition, the state of health of the person must also be assessed in order to determine whether or not this tension is really within normal.
Is the 120/100 voltage unbalanced?
The ratio between blood pressure of 120 and the value of 100 is key. The truth is that it can pose some health problem because both values are very close, it is what is popularly known as tension or decompensated pressure. Terms such as pinched tension are also used.
And the problem is not the small difference between the two, but is that the minimum pressure of 100 is a high value, so it is important to control it to avoid diseases and cardiovascular problems, although not always all people with this tension have health problems.
Can I have health problems with a blood pressure of 120/100?
Having a pressure of 120/100 carries a higher risk of cardiovascular problems because the level of 100, as we have mentioned before, would be high. But what can happen to the person? In the event that there are conditions, the most common is that you have high blood pressure, which can have its origin in different causes:
- Increased workload of the heart, that is, this organ has to make a greater effort to perform its normal activity.
- Blood circulation is not adequate, producing some alterations or disturbances derived from the heart not functioning normally.
- Blood vessels can also be affected by changes in their walls, which can lead to cardiac pathologies.
Anyway, this blood pressure can also be a sign that the person has other pathologies or is more prone to conditions such as:
- Atherosclerosis or accumulation of fats in the arteries.
- Thyroid problems, which would not work properly.
However, sometimes, this blood pressure simply indicates that you have bad habits because it is common for people to have it:
- They are subjected to stressful situations on a continuous or prolonged basis.
- They follow an inadequate diet, in addition to eating excessively at night.
- They drink too much alcohol and often.
- They don't do sports or physical activity.
I'm not feeling well, is it because of blood pressure 120/100?
There are people who feel good with this blood pressure, while others have some discomfort or symptoms, which in many cases are not associated with tension. The most common are:
- Weakness and feeling of fatigue and tiredness.
- Headaches that are usually accompanied by dizziness.
- Blurred vision.
- Occasional bleeding from the nose without any because that justifies them, such as the rupture of a vein or irritation of the nasal passages due to a serious episode of allergy.
With these explanations, we hope from we have helped you answer the question of whether 120/100 blood pressure is normal. We always recommend that you go to the doctor for any symptoms and so that he can evaluate your state of health, determining if there are risks and you need to follow a medical treatment.