Uric acid is a compound that our body generates by filtering purines, a chemical present in some of the foods we eat. Normally, our body is capable of filtering and eliminating 80% of this substance through the urine, but when the diet contains a high level of foods with purines, they end up accumulating in the blood and raising the level of uric acid in the blood the body. Excess uric acid can cause very painful diseases such as hyperuricemia, popularly known as “gout”.
For this reason, after certain ages and if you are prone to accumulate uric acid in your body, it is important to follow a proper diet in which the intake of foods with high levels of purines is reduced.
Forbidden foods for uric acid – complete list
Just as there are recommended foods to combat and eliminate uric acid, there are also foods that, due to their high purine content, are prohibited for uric acid. If you suffer from this ailment, you will have to limit or completely eliminate all foods that contain a high level of purines.
Now that you know the foods that you can add to your diet to take care of your health without giving up good ingredients, we are going to talk about the foods that are prohibited for uric acid that you should keep well away from. Take note:
- Red meat and all its variants : red meat contains very high levels of fat and purines, so its consumption is totally inadvisable when you suffer from uric acid. This recommendation also includes all its variants, since broths, sausages, dehydrated tablets and sauces made from meat can also seriously harm your health.
- The offal : meats such as liver, kidney or sweetbreads are very rich in purines, which is why it is totally inadvisable to consume them if you have uric acid in your blood.
- Shellfish and blue fish : both shellfish (prawns, mussels, oysters, lobsters, etc.) and blue fish (sardines, anchovies, red mullet, mackerel, etc.) have very high levels of purines. These foods can easily give you a gout attack, so avoiding them is a wise decision.
- Alcoholic drinks : alcohol is not recommended for those who suffer from uric acid. Within this category, beer should be highlighted, since brewer's yeast contains a very high level of purines.
- Foods with high amounts of sugar : Foods and drinks with high levels of sugar are prohibited or very limited in diets for uric acid. Avoid foods with a lot of sugar such as cereals, pastries, sweets, etc. Juices also have a high level of sugar, which is very counterproductive if you have high levels of uric acid, which is why we recommend you always make 100% natural juices.
- Broad-leaf vegetables: Broad -leaf vegetables such as spinach or chard are also high in purines. For this reason, and despite being very diuretic foods, it is advisable to limit their consumption.
- Full- fat dairy: Full-fat dairy is another type of food that is discouraged for those who suffer from uric acid. However, this has an easy solution, since you will only have to replace them with semi-skimmed or skimmed products.
How to lower uric acid quickly – other tips
As we have seen, if you want to lower uric acid quickly, it is very important that you follow an alkaline diet , that is, a diet based on foods that contain alkaline (a chemical component that helps eliminate purines from the body). But, in addition, we recommend that you pay attention to these tips:
- Balanced diet : As we have said, maintaining a balanced diet low in foods with purines is essential. On the other hand, if you are overweight, dieting to lose those extra pounds that are harmful to your health will significantly improve your lifestyle.
- Do some sport : complementing some exercise with your diet will help you lower uric acid quickly, since sport stimulates blood circulation, helps eliminate fluids and, consequently, eliminates excess purines in your body.
- Good hydration is essential : if you want to lower uric acid quickly, you should drink 1.5 to 2 liters of water a day, as this will stimulate your body's kidney function. Water will not only help you eliminate purines through urine, but it will also purify your body of other harmful substances. If you want to alternate the water with some infusions, we recommend consuming 2 diuretic infusions a day based on horsetail, rosemary or green nettle, as they are the most recommended to lower uric acid.
- Consume diuretic foods : if you are wondering how to lower uric acid quickly, you should know that it is essential to consume diuretic foods allowed in your diet. Citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, lemons, etc. They will help you eliminate purines easily and quickly. But be careful, because you should not confuse the consumption of fruit with the consumption of juices. Packaged juices, due to their high sugar content, are totally prohibited in diets to reduce uric acid.
If you want to lower uric acid quickly, it is important that you are constant, because skipping the diet, even in a very specific way, can be enough for a gout attack to occur. In addition, so that you can carry out these instructions easily, here are some foods that are good for uric acid that you should include in your diet.
Good foods for uric acid
Now that you know what foods to avoid to lower uric acid quickly, here are some foods that will significantly improve your health:
- Fruits with a high content of vitamin C: lemon and other citrus fruits such as pineapple and kiwi are fruits with high levels of vitamin C that, in addition, have diuretic qualities and totally natural sugars. Consuming these alkaline fruits will help your system drain fluids from your body and therefore eliminate purines with ease.
- Red fruits: other fruits that are also diuretic and have a high content of vitamin C and alkaline are cherries, strawberries, grapes, pomegranates and, in general, all red fruits.
- Nuts : Nuts are very nutritious foods, because although it is true that they are hypercaloric foods, they also have a great alkalizing power. Eating them raw and without abusing them; a handful of five walnuts in your breakfast will be enough to take advantage of its qualities. Consuming raw almonds or almond milk is also a healthy and very tasty way to get rid of uric acid.
- Vegetables : eating vegetables is essential in any self-respecting balanced diet. However, in the case of diets to lower uric acid, you should be careful, as there are vegetables that are not recommended due to their high purine content. Vegetables that are recommended include celery, tomatoes, green beans, onions, radishes, beets, and brussels sprouts. Its fiber and its diuretic capacity will help you keep uric acid in your body at bay. If you want more information about good vegetables to lower uric acid , take a look at this article.
- The seeds : the seeds have a high level of protein, phosphorus and magnesium, which makes them alkalizing foods and, therefore, perfect foods to lower uric acid quickly. Including flaxseed, alfalfa or soybeans in your salads will help you meet your goals.
- Eggs : the egg yolk is highly alkalizing, so when consumed in its proper measure, it is an ideal ally to eliminate purines from the blood.