Have you got a kind of lump in the neck area and you don't know what it could be? This physical condition is called cervical kyphosis, although it is also commonly known as buffalo hump. This problem is a curvature that occurs in the spine caused by an accumulation of fat in the back of the neck (or the dorsocervical area).
The hump on the neck is not a serious disease, but it can cause both discomfort and inconvenience when performing certain movements as well as a physical complex due to its appearance, which is why it is important that we find a way to correct this problem.
What is buffalo hump and what are its causes
As we have already mentioned, the buffalo hump, also called the widow's hump or hunchback, is a physical condition that is characterized by producing a curvature in the back due to an accumulation of fat in the back of the neck, which is why it receives the medical name for dorsocervical fat. This condition can be confused with other diseases in which this type of curvature also occurs along the spine, as is the case, for example, with kyphoscoliosis. However, this hump is caused by other conditions such as osteoporosis, characterized by making the bones increasingly fragile until they end up fracturing.
But, how can we identify the buffalo hump or dorsocervical fat? The causes are decisive to detect if this hump is caused by an accumulation of fat in the neck. Therefore, below we will give you the main reasons that cause this physical condition :
- Use of some medications and treatments for HIV: one of its side effects is lipodystrophy, that is, the accumulation of fat in certain parts of the body.
- Hypercortisolism: is a disorder that occurs when there are very high levels of the hormone cortisol.
- Obesity: Obesity is a disease that significantly increases the risk of this condition appearing.
- Prolonged use of certain glucocorticoid medications such as cortisone.
- Genetic disorders: This factor can increase the probability of suffering from cervical kyphosis. If someone in your family has buffalo hump, chances are you will too.
- Bad posture: an incorrect position can produce this hump in the neck.
How to remove buffalo hump: medical treatment
Can the humpback be corrected in adults? There are many people who question this, since the widow's hump is not easy to correct and takes patience and effort. However, we want to confirm that yes, it is possible to correct the humpback in adults . Here are some tips and recommendations on how to remove the buffalo hump:
- Physiotherapy sessions : if you suspect that in your case the hump may come from a bad posture, it is best to go to a physiotherapist. This professional will recommend the best methods and the necessary sessions to improve the posture of the back and thus correct, little by little, the widow's hump.
- Change of medication : as we said at the beginning, there are many treatments that have the appearance of the buffalo hump as a side effect. If you suspect that this is your case, consult your doctor about a possible change in medication or a decrease in the dose. Under no circumstances should you stop treatment without first consulting a health professional, as this could seriously harm you.
- Modify your diet : If your buffalo hump is due to obesity or a poor diet, you should change your lifestyle and eating habits, as well as reduce the calories in your meals. Weight loss can be very beneficial in this case and could make the hunched neck go away. In this case, it is best to put yourself in the hands of endocrinologists and nutritionists so that they can offer you a specific diet plan for your case.
- Liposuction – Many people who are unable to get rid of humping with the above tips decide to have liposuction. This intervention consists of suctioning the fat from the area with a small cannula that is inserted into the lump through tiny incisions made previously. The result and improvement after the surgical procedure can be noticed immediately, but still, you must not forget that it is an operation, so the recovery can be a bit painful. If you opt for this solution, the safest thing is that the doctor in charge of performing the operation will provide you with anti-inflammatories and/or analgesics so that the pain is not so annoying and you can return to normal life as soon as possible.
Exercises to remove buffalo hump
Although the widow's hump can be eliminated with liposuction that removes all the fat located in the back of the neck, it is normal that some people cannot afford this treatment or do not want to undergo it, since it is still cosmetic surgery. However, if you are wondering how to eliminate the buffalo hump without having to resort to liposuction , we will tell you that there is an alternative that consists of a series of physical exercises that will help you, little by little, to correct this physical condition. Keep reading and put into practice the following exercises for the buffalo hump:
Exercise 1: chest raises
- First of all you will have to lie on the floor on your back without any pillow or anything underneath.
- Next, put your arms on the floor so that they form a 45-degree angle with your palms facing up.
- Try to lengthen your spine and then press your back into the ground.
- Once you are in this position, raise only your chest and squeeze your shoulder blades.
- Hold your chest up for 10 seconds, then return to the starting position.
Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
Exercise 2: Chest Stretch
- In an open doorway, place your arms on each side.
- When you are in this position, gradually stretch your chest until you are lower than the original position.
- As you lower your chest, it's important to keep your shoulders flat and your head above your body.
- Then return to the starting position slowly.
Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
Exercise 3: arm raises
- Stick your head, shoulders, pelvis, and heels against a wall.
- Next, raise your arms by sliding them up the wall until they are at shoulder height. Then return to the original position.
- It is essential that while performing the elevations you do not tilt your head or raise your shoulders to avoid injury.
Do 2 sets of 10 reps.
Exercise 4: walk every day
If the main cause of your hump is obesity, it is essential that you incorporate aerobic exercises such as walking into your daily routine, as these will help you both lose weight and reduce localized fat in the neck. To achieve your goal, it is recommended that you walk at a medium pace and do it for at least half an hour every day.
If apart from the buffalo hump you feel discomfort and often in various parts of the back, take a look at this article on Exercises for dorsal back pain : they will help you relieve tension and stretch the muscles.