Why I feel itchy tongue when eating kiwi – here’s the answer!

0
140

Why when I eat kiwi my mouth itches?” This is something that really happens to a lot of people and, although some people only feel a slight tingling and some itching, there are those who feel burning and inflammation in the mouth. This nutritious and healthy fruit is delicious and serves to prevent and treat numerous health problems, especially related to the digestive system, but if we feel discomfort when we take it, we must be careful.

Why I feel itchy tongue when eating kiwi - here's the answer!

If this happens to you, or someone you know, we recommend that you continue reading this article in which we answer the question about why I feel itchy on the tongue when eating kiwi. Keep reading and know the reasons, what to do and what other fruits you can eat instead that bring you the same benefits.

Calcium oxalate crystals causing itching on the tongue when eating kiwi

If you feel more than once you have wondered “why does my tongue itch when I eat kiwi?”” you should know that in the composition of this fruit we find calcium oxalate crystals insoluble in a small amount. But this moderate amount is enough to produce irritation and itching on the tongue when eating this fruit, because this component causes this reaction in the mucous membranes of the mouth at the slightest contact with it.

The most common is that the irritating effects of these crystals occur as soon as you start eating the fruit, or at least begin to notice them before finishing it, and can last between 5 and 30 minutes after having stopped eating kiwi. This is a totally normal reaction, although not everyone has the same sensitivity to these components, but in case of being very sensitive or having an allergy, then the effect will be felt faster and will take longer to go.

It is normal that these discomforts are noticed especially when eating the central part of this fruit, because in the seeds is where there is more concentration of oxalates and, in addition, it is greater in the green kiwi than in the yellow and when it is freshly picked, still somewhat green, and is reduced throughout the ripening of the fruit.

In addition, there are those who worry because this oxalate hinders the absorption of nutrients and according to certain scientific studies, which are not yet sufficiently supported with evidence, it is believed that it can facilitate the production of kidney stones when its consumption is high. But precisely as they are problems that can only occur in case of consuming large amounts of this component, in the case of eating kiwis even on a regular basis there is no danger because the amount in this fruit is very low.

Kiwi proteins that cause allergy

If more than once you think “I eat kiwi and my tongue burns” you should know that not only the calcium oxalate crystals contained in this fruit are to blame for this reaction in the mouth. In fact, the proteins it contains usually produce irritation and allergy reactions very easily. At the moment, 13 kiwi proteins have been found that cause allergy and have been identified as “Act d” protein followed by the number that corresponds to it, from 1 to 13.

These proteins are found both in the skin and in the pulp and seeds of the kiwi and only one of these proteins (Act d 10) is found in the skin and most are in the pulp and seeds, in fact some of the last found are in the seeds and the center of the fruit.

Oral allergy syndrome or ODS from eating kiwi

In other cases, in addition to the usual discomfort reactions due to the above, the itching on the tongue from eating kiwi is due to allergy that can occur in this part of the oral cavity or throughout the mouth. This type of reaction is known as oral allergy syndrome or ODS and why kiwi allergy of this type is that, in addition to the usual irritation that proteins and oxalate crystals can produce, the person who suffers this reaction has antibodies that react to these and other components of this fruit. The symptoms of food allergies range from a slight itching and irritation to feeling burning and there is a very important irritation and inflammation in the tongue and rest of the oral cavity, which can cause anaphylaxis.

The usual thing in this case is that the first time this fruit is tasted there is a strong irritation due to the components mentioned in the previous sections but that this problem passes only after a short time or after eating more things. In this first contact the body creates antibodies to some of the components of the kiwi and, therefore, the next time it is taken, an allergic reaction occurs. As in most allergic cases and especially in the case of food allergies, the more times you eat the food that produces this reaction, the stronger it occurs. Therefore, doctors recommend not taking this fruit anymore and replacing it with others that provide us with the same.

Generalized allergy from eating kiwi

This fruit can produce from just skin allergy to mild or more severe oral allergy and can produce anaphylaxis, a generalized and severe allergic reaction to which you have to act quickly.

If you suspect that you may have some type of intolerance or allergy to this fruit, the best thing you can do is check with your doctor, as he or she will be able to give you guidelines on how to act when it happens to you and what other foods you can eat instead. In addition, you should know that people who are usually more sensitive to this fruit and who suffer from a greater allergic reaction often also have other allergies such as pollen, especially birch, and also latex.

Oral allergy syndrome or ODS from eating kiwi

In other cases, in addition to the usual discomfort reactions due to the above, the itching on the tongue from eating kiwi is due to allergy that can occur in this part of the oral cavity or throughout the mouth. This type of reaction is known as oral allergy syndrome or ODS and why kiwi allergy of this type is that, in addition to the usual irritation that proteins and oxalate crystals can produce, the person who suffers this reaction has antibodies that react to these and other components of this fruit. The symptoms of food allergies range from a slight itching and irritation to feeling burning and there is a very important irritation and inflammation in the tongue and rest of the oral cavity, which can cause anaphylaxis.

The usual thing in this case is that the first time this fruit is tasted there is a strong irritation due to the components mentioned in the previous sections but that this problem passes only after a short time or after eating more things. In this first contact the body creates antibodies to some of the components of the kiwi and, therefore, the next time it is taken, an allergic reaction occurs. As in most allergic cases and especially in the case of food allergies, the more times you eat the food that produces this reaction, the stronger it occurs. Therefore, doctors recommend not taking this fruit anymore and replacing it with others that provide us with the same.

Generalized allergy from eating kiwi

This fruit can produce from just skin allergy to mild or more severe oral allergy and can produce anaphylaxis, a generalized and severe allergic reaction to which you have to act quickly.

If you suspect that you may have some type of intolerance or allergy to this fruit, the best thing you can do is check with your doctor, as he or she will be able to give you guidelines on how to act when it happens to you and what other foods you can eat instead. In addition, you should know that people who are usually more sensitive to this fruit and who suffer from a greater allergic reaction often also have other allergies such as pollen, especially birch, and also latex.

What fruits to eat if I have a kiwi allergy

You should know that there is NO remedy for kiwi allergy, only if it is something very mild you can help relieve the itching with water and eating other foods, but they will not help you to pass faster or so that this problem does not recur. Therefore, in case of allergy it is best to stop eating this fruit. But, as the properties of kiwi for health are many, we recommend that if you only notice slight discomfort once when eating it and you pass in a few minutes keep this fruit in your diet, but if you see that the reaction is more serious or happens to you can always replace the kiwi with other fruits that provide you with the same and do not cause unwanted effects.

The best substitute option is orange, as its nutritional value is very similar. For example, a kiwi provides 1.8gr of fiber and an orange 1.6gr and the first gives us 37.1mg of vitamin C and orange 35.4mg. Other fruits with high fiber content are figs, apples and plums, in addition the latter also provide a lot of vitamin C as well as cherries, guava, lemon, blackcurrant, papaya and strawberries, among other fruits.

Author

Leave a Reply