Acne is a fairly common condition that consists of the appearance of bumps or pimples on the skin and, sometimes, filled with pus, due to the accumulation of fat in a certain area of the skin. This skin problem, in addition to being unattractive, can also be annoying, since pimples can cause other symptoms such as the appearance of itchy wounds and can become painful if they become infected. Although these elevations usually appear mainly in some parts of the face such as the forehead, chin and nose, they can also develop in other parts of our body such as the neck or head.
Pimples on the neck due to contact dermatitis
Contact dermatitis can be one of the possible reasons why pimples appear on the neck. Contact dermatitis is a condition where the skin becomes inflamed after being in direct contact with a certain substance . There are two types of dermatitis: the one caused by friction against an irritating element such as hair dyes, detergents, solvents or shampoos, or the one caused by contact with an allergen.
In the case of the appearance of pimples on the neck, it is more likely that the cause was contact dermatitis with an allergen that is probably found in perfumes, soaps and creams that have been applied to this area.
It is also possible that we have applied some products to the skin of the neck and they have reacted at the time we have been exposed to sunlight . Some of the products that cause this allergy are shaving lotions, ointments and sunscreens.
Pimples on the neck that itch due to lack of hygiene
Another cause of the appearance of these pimples on the neck could be poor hygiene. The neck is an area that we do not usually give importance to and we generally overlook it in our daily personal hygiene. However, it is an area that we should give the relevance that it really has, since due to the lack of cleanliness and the constant contact with other areas such as the face and hair , the sebum that is produced in said parts accumulates in the neck . and other traces of dirt.
Therefore, due to this accumulation of sebum due to lack of hygiene, these bumps or pimples eventually appear on the neck. To prevent pimples and other infections caused by acne, it is recommended that we wash daily by applying an antibacterial soap and water to the neck area.
Hormonal neck pimples
Hormonal disorders or changes could also be another reason for the appearance of acne in the neck area. Acne is a fairly common condition in stages such as puberty or pregnancy , since there are usually some alterations in hormones that cause an increase in sebum in the skin.
In addition to puberty and pregnancy, pimples on the neck can also be caused by another phenomenon known as hormonal acne . This condition appears in 30% of women over 25 years of age and in 5% of men of this age, its main cause being the increase in male hormones or androgens, a very common symptom in disorders such as ovarian syndrome polycystic.
Why pimples appear on the neck – other causes
In addition to the above reasons, the appearance of pimples on the neck can also be caused by the following causes:
- Problem with the endocrine glands : a failure in their functioning can cause alterations in our hormones.
- Malfunction of the liver : this organ is responsible for cleaning both our blood and our body. Therefore, if the liver does not work properly, toxins and other substances would accumulate that could cause an increase in acne.
- Shaving : when we shave we keep cutting our skin, which on sensitive faces and necks can be quite aggressive for our follicles so that these pimples end up appearing.
- Weakened immune system : in this case, our body reacts with difficulty to external aggressions, which can lead to the appearance of pimples both on the neck and in other parts of the body.
- Bad diet : a diet rich in fats and sugars can cause the pores of the skin to be accumulated with sebum, giving rise to pimples on the neck.