Acne is a fairly common condition that consists of the appearance of bumps or pimples on the skin and, sometimes, full of pus, due to the accumulation of fat in a certain area of the skin. This skin problem, in addition to being unsightly, can also become annoying, since pimples can cause other symptoms such as the appearance of wounds that itch and can hurt in the event that they become infected. Although these elevations usually appear mainly in some parts of the face such as the forehead, chin and nose, they can also develop in other parts of our body such as the neck or head.
However, if you have suddenly had these bumps excessively, it is normal for you to wonder: “Why do pimples come out on your neck?” Keep reading this article from and find out the possible causes of the appearance of these pimples on the neck.
Pimples on the neck from contact dermatitis
Contact dermatitis may be one of the possible reasons why pimples come out on the neck. Contact dermatitis is a condition where the skin suffers inflammation after being in direct contact with a certain substance. There are two types of dermatitis: the one that is produced by friction against an irritant element such as hair dyes, detergents, solvents or shampoos, or the one that is caused by contact with an allergen.
In the case of the appearance of pimples on the neck, it is more likely that the cause has been a dermatitis by contact with an allergen that is probably found in perfumes, soaps and creams that have been applied to this area.
It is also possible that we have applied some products on the skin of the neck and have reacted at the time we have been exposed to sunlight. Some of the products that produce this allergy are shaving lotions, ointments, and sunscreens.
Pimples on the neck that itch due to poor hygiene
Another cause of the appearance of these pimples in the neck could be poor hygiene. The neck is an area that we do not usually give importance to and we usually overlook it in our daily personal hygiene. However, it is an area that we should give it the relevance it really has, since due to the lack of cleanliness and constant contact with other areas such as the face and hair, the sebum that occurs in these parts and other remains of dirt accumulate in the neck.
Therefore, due to this accumulation of sebum due to lack of hygiene, these bumps or pimples finally appear on the neck. To prevent pimples and other infections caused by acne, it is recommended that we wash daily by applying an antibacterial soap and water to the neck area.
Hormonal pimples on the neck
Hormonal disorders or changes could also be another reason for the appearance of acne in the neck area. Acne is a fairly common condition in stages such as puberty or pregnancy, since there are usually some alterations in hormones that cause an increase in sebum in the skin.
In addition to puberty and pregnancy, pimples on the neck can also be caused by another phenomenon known as hormonal acne. This condition appears in 30% of women over 25 years of age and in 5% of men of this age, its main cause being the increase in male hormones or androgens, a very common symptom in disorders such as polycystic ovary syndrome.
Why pimples come out on the neck – other causes
In addition to the above reasons, the appearance of pimples on the neck can also be caused by the following causes:
- Problem with the endocrine glands: a failure in their functioning can cause alterations in our hormones.
- Erroneous functioning of the liver: this organ is responsible for cleaning both our blood and our body. Therefore, if the liver does not work properly, toxins and other substances would accumulate that could cause an increase in acne.
- Shaving: when we shave, we do not stop cutting our skin, which in sensitive faces and necks can be quite aggressive for our follicles so that these pimples end up appearing.
- Weakened immune system: in this case, our body reacts with difficulty to external aggressions, which can cause as a consequence the appearance of pimples both in the neck and in other parts of the body.
- Poor diet: a diet rich in fats and sugars can cause the pores of the skin to accumulate with sebum, giving rise to pimples in the neck.