It is quite common that on some occasion, throughout our lives, women suffer some kind of vaginal infection, either by the entry of bacteria, intestinal parasites, the appearance of fungi and, even, by a vitamin deficiency, among other possible causes. The clearest symptom that we are suffering from an infection in our private parts are vaginal itching, which is characterized by being a rather annoying and uncomfortable sensation accompanied by a general irritation in that area.
Although there are pharmaceutical treatments that help you reduce this discomfort, in this article we teach you 10 home remedies for itching in the private parts, which are very effective and useful as an aid for the medical treatment of the cause. In addition, we want to clarify that if this type of itching is constant or appears very frequently, we recommend that you go to the gynecologist to know what type of infection you have and, consequently, prescribe the most appropriate treatment, because in such a case it is not advisable to treat only the symptom of itching or stinging because it is likely that it will not be completely solved and your intimate health will worsen, therefore the cause must be addressed.
If you have already gone to the doctor and know what is the cause of your vaginal itching, you can use the following home remedies for itching in the intimate area, as long as they are a complement to the pharmaceutical treatment you have been assigned.
We start by recommending the use of yogurt, because this probiotic product provides good bacteria for the body and has antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, which goes very well to reduce itching and stinging. In fact, it is a natural treatment for candidiasis well known for its effectiveness.
To use plain yogurt to relieve itching in the private parts you have to follow these steps:
- After washing your hands well with soap and water, you can apply the yogurt throughout the affected area or you can use a tampon by immersing it in the yogurt and introducing it into the vagina.
- You will notice relief almost immediately, but for a greater effect let it act for a maximum of two hours.
- Then you will have to remove the tampon, if you have used it, and wash well with warm or fresh water and soap specific to the vaginal area, or with one of neutral pH, to remove all the remains.
It should be applied twice a day, until you notice that you no longer have this annoying symptom.
Another of the good home remedies to relieve vaginal stinging is the sage plant. Sage infusion has antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, which makes it an excellent remedy for this itching sensation. To use sage to relieve itching in the private parts follow these indications:
- Boil in water a few sage leaves for 10 minutes to prepare the infusion or tea.
- Strain the liquid to remove the leaves and let it cool.
- Once the infusion has cooled, wash it twice a day in the vagina for a few minutes. You can do it by watering or you can fill the bathtub with a little water to pour the infusion and make a sitz bath more comfortably. In the case of the bath, you will need more infusion and we recommend preparing between 1 and 2 liters to pour into the water.
You can find a wide variety of sage infusions on Amazon with which you will surely get rid of vaginal itching.
Garlic has a powerful antibiotic action that fights a wide range of bacteria and fungi. To relieve vaginal itching with garlic you can follow these indications:
- Peel and crush three cloves of garlic.
- Boil them for 10 minutes and strain the liquid.
- When it has cooled, wash the vaginal area with the infusion once a day for a week.
Another option if you want to use garlic for genital itching is to apply a little garlic oil to the area. You have to do it a couple of times a day until you stop noticing these discomforts.
Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil is one of the best-known natural treatments to fight and prevent fungal and bacterial infections, as it boasts excellent antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. To use this remedy, you can do vaginal washing with water and tea tree.
- Mix 1 liter of warm water with 10 drops of this oil.
- Pour the mixture on the part affected by the discomfort or prepare a sitz bath with the tea tree diluted in this same proportion.
- Another option is that you wet compresses or a cloth with this mixture to give touches on the irritated and itchy part.
This plant has a powerful antiseptic action, so it is also a good remedy for vaginal itching. If among the home remedies for itching and stinging of the vagina that we show you want to try the infusion of pennyroyal mint, take note:
- You should only boil 30 grams of pennyroyal in hot water
- Strain the liquid to remove the leaves.
- Once it is cold, do vaginal washes twice a day with this infusion or wet gauze or compresses to apply the pennyroyal mint with gentle touches on the affected area.
Chamomile sitz bath
Chamomile to relieve itching in the intimate parts is very effective, as it has soothing, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. To wash the intimate area with chamomile, you have to prepare a sitz bath as follows:
- Prepare an infusion of chamomile, with leaves and flowers (use 1 tablespoon of chamomile per 200 ml of water). Let it boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain the infusion and let it warm.
- In a bathtub with little warm water or in a bucket or basin with water, add the infusion.
- Sit so that the water covers your intimate area well and stays that way for at least 15 or 20 minutes.
- Do not rinse or dry the area directly. Wait at least a couple of hours before washing thoroughly.
Water bath with salt
Salt water is antiseptic and soothing, so it can help you improve itching and stinging problems in the vagina. However, we do not recommend this remedy to use as a first option if the area is very irritated, because the salt can sting a lot and irritate more.
Prepare a bath of water with salt to relieve intimate itching like this:
- Prepare a bucket with warm water or put little water in the bathtub, just enough to cover your intimate part when you sit down.
- Add at least 5 tablespoons of salt, depending on the amount of water you use.
- Sit back and let it take effect for 15 or 30 minutes, then dry the area carefully.
You can repeat it as many times a day as you see fit.
Apple cider vinegar
Vinegar for itching is a very good remedy, because thanks to the acetic acid it contains, it relieves itching and deflation. In we recommend using apple cider vinegar for itching in the intimate area in this way:
- Wet a cloth or gauze or compress in apple cider vinegar and apply it with gentle touches on the affected part. If you squeeze you can reduce the vinegar with water.
- Let it take effect for about 15 or 30 minutes and wash well with warm or cold water to remove the remains.
- Keep in mind that another way is to make a sitz bath using about 5 tablespoons of this vinegar for each liter of water.
One of the best home remedies for itching in the intimate area if what you are looking for is an immediate relief is the application of cold, since blood circulation in the area is reduced and this calms and reduces inflammation. For example, you can use cold compresses for itching in the vagina:
- Wet some compresses or gauze in very cold water or wrap some ice cubes in compresses or gauze or even in a clean cotton cloth.
- Place the gauze on the genital lips and let the cold take effect for a few seconds. In addition, especially if you use ice, make soft touches without leaving the cloth on the skin for a long time. You will notice a quick relief, but this remedy is not definitive for the itching to pass because the cause of the problem will have to be treated.
- As the compresses warm, you can re-wet them in fresh water. However, it is advisable that you do it a few minutes in a row and then let the area calm down and rest, before applying another remedy or repeating this one.
This remedy is very good to combine with others and thus have more relief.
Aloe vera gel is very moisturizing and soothing, and can help with some types of infections. To use aloe vera to relieve genital itching take note:
- Buy the aloe gel or remove it from the plant, but in this case be sure to remove the aloin (yellowish part) it contains leaving the cut of the leaf in water for 24 hours.
- Use aloe vera gel as an intimate moisturizing cream or gel for the vulva area and the entrance to the vagina, that is, applying it carefully to the irritated and itchy area. You can apply it several times a day and for as many days as you need, until you no longer have discomfort or finish your medical treatment.
Another option is to dip a tampon in this refreshing gel and leave it on for a couple of hours. After removing it, wash the area very well with a soap specific to the intimate area or with neutral ph. You can do it once or twice a day.
Causes of itching in the private parts
What we know as itching in the intimate parts are those that can occur at the entrance of the vagina, in the inner lips and in the external ones, that is, in the vulva. In addition, this type of pruritus is usually accompanied by other symptoms such as irritation, inflammation in the lips and redness of the vulva. There are several possible causes and, therefore, it is necessary for a doctor to diagnose the problem and its origin, in order to find the best treatment. These are the main causes of itching in the intimate area:
- Vaginal infection: the most common are due to the appearance of fungi (candidiasis) and through bacteria (such as gonorrhea and chlamydia). Generally, in addition to itching in the vagina, you also usually have symptoms such as pain when urinating, lack of lubrication, unpleasant doored discharge and pain during intercourse.
- Vaginal dryness: it is a genital disorder that is characterized by the lack of lubrication in the vagina, which can also cause stinging in the vulva. Here you can learn more about natural remedies for vaginal dryness.
- Genital seborrhea: it is not very common in this area of the body but, in the case of occurring, genital itching is one of the symptoms of this problem.
- Vulvar dermatitis: it is a type of vaginal infection that occurs due to the aggressions you suffer, either by contact (use of inappropriate clothing) or by an allergic reaction produced by creams, chemical soaps, deodorants and other products with aggressive chemical substances.
- Skin parasites: The most common is scabies, which can cause intense itching in the vaginal area.
- Parasites in pubic hair: the barks are the microbes that appear the most and are usually transmitted through sexual intercourse. In this other link you will see information about How to know if I have flags and how to remove them.
Tips to prevent itching in the intimate area
Finally, after explaining the possible causes and having shown you the best home remedies for itching in the private parts, we want to talk about how to avoid them. Therefore, below, we give you some recommendations to prevent itching in the intimate area:
- Maintain good vaginal hygiene: proper washing of the genitals can help us prevent many infections in the vagina. Try to use specialized soaps for the private parts and with natural ingredients.
- Have a proper anal cleaning: It is also important to have this area clean, as germs and microbes could be dragged into the vagina.
- Wear comfortable clothes: try to wear loose-fitting and, if possible, cotton garments to maintain both good ventilation and proper moisture in the private parts.
- Use compresses and menstrual cup: during menstruation, it is more advisable to use compresses and menstrual cups than tampons, since these obstruct the outflow of blood and absorb it, but it can spend too much time retained and, consequently, favor the development of vaginal infections.