Do you have a bad vaginal odor and are looking for a way to remove it? First, we must bear in mind that the smell of fish in the female genitals, the smell of onion or others that are not usual when this intimate area is healthy, can indicate different things but always indicate some imbalance. Thus, there are several possible causes of a strange smell in the intimate area, such as fungi, bacteria, excessive sweating or poor diet, among others, and for this reason more symptoms must be taken into account. For example, if you have a bad smell and white discharge, you may have candidiasis, a fungal infection.
Although you can acquire intimate gel for the bad smell of the flow, medicated eggs to treat this problem and its causes, it is always better that you consult with your doctor and follow his instructions. In addition, you can complement medical treatments with home remedies to eliminate vaginal odor, such as the more than 15 that we reveal below in this article.
Yogurt to end vaginal odor
Once you have visited the doctor and know why you have a bad vaginal odor, we recommend that you follow the treatment indicated by your doctor and that you use some home remedies to remove vaginal odor that, in addition, you can use from time to time as home remedies to wash your private parts and prevent not only bad odors but also possible health problems.
One of the most commonly used remedies to treat problems in the vagina is yogurt. It is used especially in cases where there are yeast infections such as candidiasis, when the vaginal discharge smells for example of cheese or sweet, although these odors and others are not produced only by fungi. Here's more about Why My Flow Smells Sweet.
Yogurt is good for removing the bad smell from the vagina because it contains lactobacilli, good bacteria that reduce excess vaginal fungi, and because it regulates the pH of the intimate area. To use this remedy, take note:
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt with no added sugars.
- 1 disc or cotton ball.
- Pour the necessary yogurt into a cup and spread or dip the cotton in it.
- Apply the yogurt with the help of this cotton in the vagina, making sure to cover the area well with gentle touches.
- Let it take effect for 10 or 15 minutes.
- Wash in the shower with fresh water and using a neutral pH soap until all debris is removed. Dry the area very well.
- You can repeat this remedy 3 times a day on the days you need, but you will soon notice improvement.
Baking soda to eliminate vaginal odor
Baking soda is a natural remedy widely used for countless treatments, as it is very effective in these cases, especially if your problem is the flow with a bad smell after intercourse and, in fact, it is perfect to maintain good hygiene after these. Baking soda is a very good pH regulator, it is also antibacterial, antifungal and a powerful cleanser.
There are several ways to use baking soda to remove odor from the vagina:
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda in your bathtub water and bathe for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Take 1 glass of water daily with 1 or 2 teaspoons of baking soda mixed for several days.
- Douche with water and baking soda. Mix half a cup of this product with 1 large cup of water until it has been diluted and with the help of a jug or bottle do a vaginal wash. You can also do it with the sitz bath system, which is more comfortable than douches if you have a bidet.
- Another option is to make a paste with a tablespoon of baking soda and little water, wrap it in gauze without squeezing it too much and insert it into your vagina for about 20 minutes and remove it.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is a powerful natural antimicrobial, as it fights bacteria, fungi, parasites and more infectious microorganisms. Thus, among the main benefits of tea tree oil is to treat and prevent infections of various types. In addition to treating the basic problem, also thanks to its strong aroma from the first moment you will notice improvement in your intimate smell.
To use tea tree oil to remove vaginal odor, you can follow these steps:
- Apply 10 drops of this essential oil to gauze or cotton pad or ball.
- Insert it into your vagina and let it act for 15 minutes.
- If it stings or bothers you remove it immediately and after a few hours try it again but this time mixing it with olive oil.
- You can do this remedy up to 3 times a day as long as you need.
Garlic against vaginal odor
Another natural and very effective remedy is garlic. Although it seems strange that we recommend this food that smells so strong to eliminate a bad smell, taking into account that most causes are fungal or bacterial infections, using it ensures better health of the intimate area. The reason is that garlic is a very powerful natural antimicrobial, it acts against bacteria, fungi and other microorganisms that can be harmful. You can learn more about this topic in this other article from in which we explain how to use garlic for candidiasis.
To use garlic to remove the bad smell from the intimate area we recommend:
- Eat 1 or 2 cloves of garlic cured with a glass of warm water in the morning, fasting.
- Include garlic in your usual diet, in salads, toast, sauces, rice, etc.
Apple cider vinegar for the bad smell of the vagina
If you want to continue knowing more options on how to remove vaginal odor with home remedies, you may be more interested in this: apple cider vinegar. This product is widely used to improve health and even beauty, because it has a lot of beneficial properties and as you can see in this other article of, we explain how to use apple cider vinegar for fungi, which are one of the main causes of foreign odors. Mainly, it is a pH regulator, antifungal and antibacerian.
To use apple cider vinegar to eliminate the bad smell in the vagina you only need:
- 750 ml or 3 cups of apple cider vinegar.
- A bathtub with warm water.
- Fill your bathtub with water, add the apple cider vinegar and stir a little.
- Immerse yourself so that your intimate area is well covered, if it is not completely covered add more warm water.
- Stay in the tub for 30 minutes.
- You can do this natural treatment 1 time a week or up to 5 times, depending on the persistence of the problem.
Other ways to use apple cider vinegar for vaginal cleanses are:
- Dilute a little of this vinegar in water, being at least double the amount of water, and take a shower of the intimate area.
- Drink a cup of water daily with three tablespoons of this product, which will help you balance the pH of your entire body, improve defenses and eliminate harmful microorganisms.
- Soak a cotton or tampon in this vinegar diluted in water, put it on and let it take effect for half an hour to an hour.
Guava leaves are another excellent remedy for this intimate problem. We emphasize that its leaves are anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant and pH regulatory. You need to prepare an infusion of these leaves to use to treat the bad smell of the intimate area.
- 4 cups of water or 1 liter.
- 3 tablespoons dried guava leaves.
- Bring the water to a boil, when it comes to a boil add the guava leaves and cover the pot.
- Let them boil for 10 or 15 minutes, more or less half of the water you had put should remain.
- Remove it from the heat, cover it and let it warm. Then strain to remove the leaves and debris and when the liquid is already cold use it to do a douche or sitz baths.
- You can do this remedy 2 times a day for several days, until you are better.
Alum to remove the bad smell from the intimate area
If you are still wondering how to eliminate the bad smell of the vagina with home remedies, this other natural remedy is about taking advantage of the astringent and antiseptic properties of alum, which is a mineral widely used as a natural deodorant for armpits and feet, but also to treat problems of bacteria on the skin. Thus, on the one hand, it helps to control the bad smell and, on the other hand, it slows down the growth of bacteria.
To use alum for the bad smell in the vagina you can mix 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon of alum powder with a little water. Then mix well until diluted and wash your intimate area, both internally and externally. Do it once a day for at least a week in a row.
In this other post you can learn much more about what the alum stone is for.
What are vaginal eggs and how they are used to eliminate vaginal odor
Another option to eliminate vaginal odor is vaginal eggs. These medicines are made with vegetable oil, oval in shape, along with ingredients necessary to fight bacteria. Although, really, they have different compositions and vary depending on the type of treatment they offer. When using vaginal eggs to eliminate vaginal odor, you should follow a series of recommendations:
- First, clean your hands thoroughly with soap and water to carefully remove the egg from the container.
- Then, in a sitting position, flex your legs or find the position with which you feel most comfortable to introduce the vaginal egg.
- You should push it as much as possible inward. In case it comes with applicator, you just have to follow its instructions for use to apply it.
When you finish and feel that it is well placed, wash your hands thoroughly again and follow the treatment indicated by your doctor.
Tips to eliminate vaginal odor and prevent it
Finally, here are more tips and home remedies to avoid and eliminate vaginal odor:
- Wear breathable underwear, with fabrics like cotton instead of synthetic fabrics.
- Also, avoid underwear and tight pants.
- Do not use soaps or intimate products with fragrances or perfumes, use the most natural or with neutral ph.
- Avoid doing too much douching, it is better to do it sometime or only when it is for treatments. If you abuse the showers in the intimate area, you will change the pH and you may have changes in the smell but infections can also appear.
- When you are with the rule, change the compresses every so often, do not wait for the time limit. This is especially important when using tampons, remember that the maximum time of use is 6 hours.
- Maintain very good hygiene after sexual intercourse.
- Follow a balanced diet and do not abuse sugars, as they facilitate bacterial and fungal infections. If you suffer from one caused by bacteria, we recommend you consult this other article about home remedies for bacterial vaginosis.
- Also, avoid highly seasoned foods, since spices greatly affect the smell of the whole body.
- Eat foods with vitamin C, as it helps prevent and treat conditions by boosting the immune system.
- Drink plenty of water to stay well hydrated.