Has a kind of reddish lump appeared on your eyelid? If so, we are surely talking about a goatee in the eye, a condition that occurs in the sebaceous glands of the eyelid and that is generally caused by the appearance of bacteria. In addition to producing a red lump, pimples on the eyes, also known as styes, are characterized by other symptoms such as pain and inflammation in the eyelids and constant tearing.
Why do the knobs appear in the eyes?
Perrillas or styes in the eyes are reddish and painful lumps that can appear on the edge of the eyelid (external stye) or behind the eyelashes (internal stye). But why do styes come out? These lumps appear in the eyes because the sebaceous glands of the eyelids or eyelashes become inflamed and cause the fat in this area to solidify, thus causing an obstruction in this area.
Among the most common causes of styes in the eyes is the proliferation of the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus. On the other hand, there are factors that increase the risk of suffering from this condition:
- If you touch your eyes without washing your hands well.
- If you put on glasses without disinfecting them first.
- If you don't remove makeup from your face before going to bed.
- If you suffer from rosacea and/or blepharitis.
- If you use expired cosmetic products.
If you suffer from rosacea, in this article we tell you the best natural treatment for ocular rosacea.
Is a stye contagious?
Yes, styes are contagious . For this reason, if you or another person is suffering from this infection, it is advisable not to touch the eyelids or eyelashes of the infected person to avoid contagion of styes . In addition, it is important that you do not share personal items such as sheets, pillows, towels or handkerchiefs, as doing so can cause contagion.
If you want to know more about How to prevent a stye , visit our article and find out everything you need to know about it.
How to get rid of googly eyes
Many people wonder how to cure a stye or what are the best treatments to make it go away. In general, most of the knobs in the eyes tend to go away on their own with the passing of days. However, if the stye is persistent, your doctor or specialist may prescribe a course of antibiotics. If it doesn't work, you could choose to have surgery to drain the accumulated fat in the sebaceous glands of the eyelid.
Apart from these treatments, you can also try some of the following home remedies for styes . With them, you will be able to speed up the healing process of the bumps in the eyes:
- Compresses with warm water : the heat can bring the accumulated sebum to the surface. To use this remedy you only have to wet a clean cloth with warm water and place it on the eye for 5 minutes. Repeat this process 3 times a day.
- Hot tea bags: Like the previous remedy, hot tea bags can also help drain accumulated sebum. You just have to place a hot bag on the eye for 5 minutes. However, it is important that you use a different one for the other eye, in case you also have a stye in this one.
- Baby soap – Baby products are recommended for cleaning a stye as they do not cause irritation to the eyes. To use it, you will need to mix some mild soap with warm water and apply it with a clean cloth to the knobs. Perform this cleanse daily to speed up your healing process.
In our article How to cure an internal stye , we tell you more about the medical treatments and home remedies specially designed for this condition.
How long does a stye or perrilla in the eye last?
As we have indicated, styes are infections that usually disappear on their own with the passing of days. In general, the duration of an external stye or an internal stye depends on how large the lump has become. When these bumps are small, pimples on the eyes can heal in less than a week. However, if they have inflammation or other symptoms such as warmth and yellow pustules with pus, the stye may take more than 7 days to heal. In fact, in the latter case, it is recommended that you go to the doctor to assign you the most appropriate treatment.