The immune system is the natural defense of our body; it is a mechanism that is found in the body of every living being and that is responsible for protecting us against external agents that can cause us damage (toxins, bacteria, viruses, poisons, etc).
Maintaining a strong immune system is important precisely because of that, because if it weakens, the chances of getting sick increase. If you want to know exactly why our immune system decays and why we really get sick, don't miss this article. In addition, we talk about how you can avoid getting sick so easily. Take note!
Why we get sick – the reasons
The question why we get sick is difficult to answer, since it can be due to internal or external factors capable of attacking your body without you being able to do anything about it. There are several causes why you can get sick, however, the most frequent are those related to food and lifestyle.
The intestine is responsible for filtering nutrients, absorbing water and certain electrolytes and synthesizing some fundamental vitamins for your body, as well as eliminating waste that the body does not need. Therefore, it is of special importance that its operation is always optimal; you should avoid constipation, diarrhea and intestinal parasites, as this prevents the intestine from performing its functions properly. Thus, a gut that does not function as it should can be a source of disease.
A good diet is essential to avoid the appearance of diseases; it is necessary to eat foods that promote the proper functioning of the body, as well as avoid those that can seriously harm health. The consumption of saturated fats, for example, can become a problem when it comes to enjoying good health, as well as the scarcity of certain nutrients.
Bad habits and stress
Bad habits (smoking, habitual drinking, sedentary lifestyle, drug use, poor diet or hygiene, etc.) make us much more vulnerable, so it is noticeably easier for a person who leads an unbalanced and unhealthy lifestyle to suffer more diseases than one who leads a healthier life.
pH is the degree of acidity of the body. To achieve an adequate pH, it is necessary to avoid stress, exercise and suppress bad habits, in addition to increasing the consumption of foods such as lemon, garlic, raisins, watermelon, papaya, broccoli or parsley, among others. Inadequate pH can directly harm your immune system.
In this other article from we explain how to measure the pH of the body.
Hereditary genetic diseases are those in which the altered gene causing the disorder is found in germline gametes. So, if you're wondering why we get sick, you should keep in mind that there is a long list of diseases that can be inherited from generation to generation, some of the most common being cystic fibrosis, thalassemia, fragile X syndrome, Huntington's disease, Marfan syndrome, etc.
How to strengthen the immune system so as not to get sick
There are diseases that are practically impossible to avoid, however, some of the most common (colds, flu, obesity, stomach problems, etc.) can often be avoided by strengthening the immune system. Here are some of the things you can do:
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet
- Exercise daily
- Ingest vitamin C, A and E
- Ingest the necessary minerals
- Rest properly
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol
Possessing a healthy and strong immune system is essential to have good health and not get sick frequently. That's why, below, we talk in more detail about some of these tips.
Eat a healthy diet
A healthy, balanced diet with all the nutrients your body needs is essential to maintaining a strong immune system. These rabbits will help you know what are the essential nutrients and foods for your body:
- Consume protein: proteins are a fundamental nutrient for the body, since they are essential elements in the formation of our muscles, brain and vital organs. From we recommend you to consume protein from meat, fish, cheese and milk, but always avoid excessive consumption of proteins of animal origin.
- Saturated and unsaturated fats: avoid the usual consumption of saturated fats, as they increase the risk of heart problems and obesity (thus limit the consumption of chocolate, butter, eggs, etc.) However, do not forget to add unsaturated fats to your diet, as these helps absorb the fat-soluble proteins that your body needs (avocado, salmon, nuts, etc.).
- Eliminate trans fats from your diet: that is, those foods processed in an industrial way (industrial pastries, precooked foods, pizzas, hamburgers, etc.).
- Do not abuse carbohydrates: these are a source of energy for your body, but in excess they could cause serious problems such as obesity. This is because carbohydrates are always broken down into simple sugars that are absorbed into the bloodstream, so it's best to keep them at a grated.
- Eat fruits and vegetables: these foods cannot be missing in your diet because they are rich in minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, basic nutrients for our body. In addition, they are low-fat foods and are made mainly of fiber and water.
- Don't forget to stay hydrated: each of our cells and tissues depend on water to function optimally, so be sure to drink a minimum of 2 liters of water daily.
On the other hand, it is also important that you consume vitamins and minerals, as they are essential to prevent colds and flu, strengthen the health of the skin and hair, prevent heart problems, etc. Consume vitamin C (orange, berries, broccoli, strawberries), vitamin E (nuts, essential oils) and vitamin A (carrot, tomatoes, calabazas, etc.) Do you want to know the best vitamins to increase defenses? We show them to you in this other article!
Keep stress under control and take care of your mental health
Frequent stress can lead to gastrointestinal problems, anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, and skin problems such as acne or psoriasis. In addition, stress and anxiety can weaken the immune system, which can lead to feelings of extreme tiredness, drastic weight variations, headaches and muscle aches and serious drowsiness problems.
Leading a very tense or busy life causes your body to not respond correctly to the stimuli that surround you, in addition to affecting your diet, rest and general health.
In this case it is essential that you try to sleep a minimum of 6-8 hours a day, because only then can you contribute to an improvement in your energy levels. On the other hand, in the face of anxiety and / or depression problems, from we advise you to go to the psychologist, since these disorders can be treated quickly with the will of the patient.
For more information, check out this article on Managing Anxiety and Stress.
Avoid bad habits
To strengthen the immune system and avoid getting sick easily, not only will it serve to have a good diet and consume the most fundamental nutrients for the proper functioning of the body, but you will also have to give up bad habits highly harmful to health.
- Avoid the habitual consumption of alcohol: consuming alcohol is often very harmful to health, as it is a substance that destroys the white blood cells responsible for the body's defense. On the other hand, blood alcohol decreases the absorption capacity of certain vitamins and minerals.
- Do not smoke: tobacco is one of the main causes of lung cancer and is, without a doubt, one of the most harmful habits that exist. Smoking causes serious lung and heart disease, carries an increased risk of infection and diabetes and, as if that were not enough, causes skin and bone problems, eye diseases and ulcers.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle: eating a balanced diet and consuming the most beneficial nutrients for health is not enough, because you should avoid a sedentary lifestyle at all costs and exercise at least 3 times a week. Exercise will improve your endurance, your balance, your strength, and your overall health.