Why my mouth itches when I eat grapes

0
152

The grape is a fruit that is extracted from a deciduous tree called a vine, which is currently grown in different regions of the Mediterranean. The grape, in addition to being a delicious fruit, is very beneficial for our health since it has different properties, among which its detoxifying action and its high alkalinity stand out, for which it contains anticancer properties. However, despite being a food with wonderful benefits, some people feel itching and/or swelling in their mouth every time they eat this fruit.

Why my mouth itches when I eat grapes

If this has happened to you, you will surely wonder “why does my mouth itch when I eat grapes?” In this article we give you the possible answers to this reaction to this food and its possible treatment.

Food allergy to grapes as a possible cause of itching in the mouth

Food allergies are more common in foods such as eggs, milk, nuts, soy, shellfish and fish. However, although they may be less frequent, allergic reactions can also occur when eating certain fruits, in this case, grapes and products derived from them such as wine, juices and raisins.

A food allergy occurs when, in this case, we take grapes and the person's immune system does not correctly identify the food believing it to be a harmful substance. Faced with this false danger, the immune system begins to produce antibodies called immunoglobulin E against grapes. Therefore, every time such a person takes grapes, immunoglobin will perceive it and release chemicals alerting the body to the false danger. These substances are what cause allergy symptoms, including itching in the tongue and mouth.

Other possible causes of itching in the mouth when eating grapes can be the following:

  • This itching can come from an allergic reaction to some compound in the grapes. The compound or nutrient that causes the most allergic reactions are the proteins contained in the grape.
  • It is also likely that the allergy depends on the type of grape you are taking since both the nutrients and its composition are not the same. In terms of color, the grapes can be red, purple, green and white.
  • Another potential cause of itching may be a possible allergy to yeast growing on grapes.
  • We must also consider that during the cultivation of the grapes different pesticides have been used and, on the one hand, we could be allergic to them and, on the other, if the fruit is not washed well, it could cause us some bad reaction such as itching due to its harmful compounds even if we are not directly allergic to these compounds.

Symptoms to identify grape allergy

The symptoms of an allergic reaction to the grape appear once we have consumed it and can occur both in a few minutes and after an hour since we ate grapes. To identify a food allergy to grapes we must observe if after eating them, in addition to suffering from itching in the mouth, we have one or more of the main symptoms of food allergy to grapes:

  • Itching and swelling of both the mouth and lips and throat
  • Irritated eyes
  • Irritated gums
  • Swelling of the face
  • Breathing problems or shortness of breath
  • Other breathing problems such as nasal congestion, asthma and wheezing
  • Urticaria
  • Rashes
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting
  • Low blood pressure

How to diagnose and treat food allergy to grapes

If you identify some of the symptoms that we have explained above, it is best to go to the doctor or the specialist in these ailments, the allergist. To diagnose a possible allergy to grapes, the allergist will first perform a physical examination and a dietary survey of the patient.

The specialist may also perform a blood test and a skin test to diagnose the allergy in which the patient's skin is exposed to the allergen (grape). This procedure measures the level of adverse reaction (if any) by scratching the surface of the patient's skin with the grape.

Through the examinations that the allergist will perform, these results can be given:

  1. If during the skin examination and, in addition, every time the grapes are ingested, the symptoms explained occur, it is that it is a food allergy.
  2. If, on the other hand, during the analyzes and the skin examination adverse reactions occur but intermittently, it is most likely that the cause of the allergy is not the grape, but the contaminants of the crop.

The only way to treat grape allergy is to avoid consuming it in all its forms, that is, wine, raisins, etc. should also be avoided. At the same moment that an allergic reaction is suffered, if it is mild, it may be that removing the allergen and resting for a while passes, but if the reaction is something more serious it is vital to go to medical emergencies as soon as possible, especially if there are breathing difficulties or a lot of swelling.

Author

Leave a Reply