Many people have itchy armpits. Although, initially, it may sound like something strange, the truth is that it is more common than it tends to be thought. In general, it does not pose any health problem and there are several causes that explain the itching in this area of the body. In many cases, it is nothing more than a problem with deodorant that may not be well tolerated by the skin, this being one of the main causes. However, it is not a symptom that should not be paid attention to because this itching is also related to some important diseases, such as cancer. From, we are going to tell you the main causes that explain the itching so that you stop wondering why my armpits itch? In addition, we also give you some guidelines so that you know when there may be a health problem behind this itching.
Why the armpits itch – main causes
As we have mentioned before, itching in the armpits is quite common, since it can occur for various causes. In addition, the remedies are simple because, sometimes, it only consists of stopping using a certain product. And it is that the skin of the armpits is very sensitive, so it is easily affected by the chemicals of the creams, deodorants, bath gels or soap that you use to wash clothes or tollas. But there are still more reasons for the itching.
- Cosmetics: it is the most common reason that explains the itching in the armpits. And there are some that contain products that cause a skin reaction. One reason why it's especially important not to use deodorants that contain alcohol. Whenever possible, it is best to use deodorants or creams that are as natural as possible.
- Synthetic fabrics: Wearing garments that are made with synthetic fabrics can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions. Therefore, it is better to opt for cotton or other natural fabrics.
- Poor skin care: many times, itching is related to the dryness of the skin and poor hydration and nutrition of it, which produces tightness and itching. It is solved with proper care of the dermis.
- Hair removal: hair removal is another factor that explains the itching in the armpits as a result of the irritation that occurs when removing the hair, so it is convenient to choose depilatory methods that are less aggressive with the skin, apart from being careful with ingrown hair, which also produces itching.
If the latter is your case, in this other article we will explain how to get the ingrown hairs out of the armpits – steps and remedies.
What it means when your armpit itches – diseases
In addition to the causes that we have discussed above, there are still more factors that explain why the armpits itch. And, on some occasions, itching is a symptom of some diseases that, in general, are related to the skin, although this itching in the armpits is also noticeable when you have chickenpox, there is a real insufficiency or the bile ducts are obstructed. Normally, in all these cases there are another series of symptoms that help in the diagnosis of the disease. But, in addition, the armpits can also sting by:
- Fungi in the armpits: candidiasis can be had in the armpits. It is normal for fungi to appear because of moisture due to excess sweat or because it has not dried well after showering. Even synthetic fabrics, by not allowing perspiration, can be behind fungi.
- Scabies: this skin disease caused by small parasites produces a very intense itching, being usual to be located in certain areas of the body, such as the armpits.
- Psoriasis: this inflammatory disease is more frequent in elbows or knees, although it can appear in other areas of the body such as the armpits or its closest area, producing itching due to the appearance of reddish scaly lesions.
- Atopic dermatitis in the armpits: this disease produces great itching. It is a great unknown because even today it is not known very well why it occurs. However, the latest research sheds light on this, such as that carried out with mice at the University of Michigan, which has made it possible to detect that it is linked to the molecule called delta toxin, which releases the pathogen Staphylococcus aureus and to which the cells of the immune system react with the production of eczema .
Hives in the itchy armpits – skin cancer
Itching in the armpits, especially when hives also appear, can also be a sign that you have more serious pathologies, such as cancer. The clearest case is the probability of skin cancer, but there are other types such as Hodgkin's disease, which is a cancer of the lymphatic system, which is part of the body's immune system and is made up of lymph nodes, which are like sachets that are located in various areas of the body, like the armpits.
Despite having a rather complicated name, the truth is that it is a frequent and serious pathology. Data from the American Cancer Society  estimate that in the United States alone more than 1,050 people will die from this pathology, although it must also be said that current treatments allow positive results to be obtained in eight out of ten cases.
In addition, the latest research is focusing on improving the treatments that are applied, for example, in chemotherapy so that it is less toxic and has fewer side effects in the long term, in addition to boosting targeted therapy drugs, among other advances .
Research, in addition, continues to advance in determining the cause that originates it, because it is still not one hundred percent clear in all cases, although most studies relate it to the Epstein-Barr virus, which is responsible for infectious mononucleosis. A disease that increases the risk of having this type of cancer, which presents several symptoms such as itching on the skin, but without any rash in the armpits.
With these explanations, we hope from to have answered your question of why do my armpits itch? Always in case of any doubt or symptom, it is advisable that you go to the doctor to determine if you have any disease or the itching is due to generic causes such as a bad choice of deodorant.