The immune system is the natural defense of our body; It is a mechanism that is found in the body of every living being and that is responsible for protecting us against external agents that can cause us damage (toxins, bacteria, viruses, poisons, etc.).
Maintaining a strong immune system is important precisely for this reason, because if it weakens, the chances of getting sick increase.
Why do we get sick – the reasons
The question why we get sick is difficult to answer, since it may be due to internal or external factors capable of attacking your body without you being able to do anything about it. There are several causes for which you can get sick, however, the most frequent are those related to diet and lifestyle.
The intestine is in charge of filtering nutrients, absorbing water and certain electrolytes and synthesizing some essential vitamins for your body, as well as eliminating waste that the body does not need. For this reason, it is especially important that its operation is always optimal ; You should avoid constipation, diarrhea and intestinal parasites, as this prevents the intestine from performing its functions properly. Thus, an intestine that does not work as it should can be a source of disease.
A good diet is essential to avoid the appearance of diseases; It is necessary to eat foods that promote the proper functioning of the body, as well as avoid those that can seriously harm health. The consumption of saturated fats, for example, can become a problem when it comes to good health, as well as the lack of certain nutrients .
Bad habits and stress
Bad habits (smoking, drinking regularly, a sedentary lifestyle, drug use, poor nutrition or hygiene, etc.) make us much more vulnerable beings , so it is significantly easier for a person who leads an unbalanced lifestyle and unhealthy suffer from more diseases than one who leads a healthier life.
The pH is the degree of acidity of the body. To achieve an adequate pH, it is necessary to avoid stress, exercise and suppress bad habits, in addition to increasing the consumption of foods such as lemon, garlic, raisins, watermelon, papaya, broccoli or parsley, among others. An inappropriate pH can directly harm your immune system.
we explain how to measure the body's pH .
Inherited genetic diseases are those in which the altered gene causing the disorder is found in the gametes of the germ line. So, if you wonder why we get sick , you should keep in mind that there is a long list of diseases that can be inherited from generation to generation, some of the most common being cystic fibrosis, thalassemia, fragile X syndrome, Huntington's disease, Marfan syndrome, etc.
How to strengthen the immune system so as not to get sick
There are diseases that are practically impossible to avoid, however, some of the most common ones (colds, flu, obesity, stomach problems, etc.) can often be avoided by strengthening the immune system . Here are some of the things you can do:
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet
- exercise daily
- Take vitamin C, A and E
- Get the necessary minerals
- rest adequately
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol
Having a healthy and strong immune system is essential for good health and not getting sick frequently. Therefore, below, we will talk in more detail about some of these tips.
Eat a healthy diet
A healthy and balanced diet with all the nutrients your body needs is essential to maintain a strong immune system. These rabbits will help you to know what are the essential nutrients and foods for your body:
- Consume proteins : proteins are a fundamental nutrient for the body, since they are essential elements in the formation of our muscles, brain and vital organs. From we recommend you consume protein from meat, fish, cheese and milk, but always avoid excessive consumption of protein of animal origin.
- Saturated and unsaturated fats : avoid the usual consumption of saturated fats, as they increase the risk of heart problems and obesity (limit the consumption of chocolate, butter, eggs, etc.). However, do not forget to add unsaturated fats to your diet, as these help absorb fat-soluble proteins that your body needs (avocado, salmon, nuts, etc.).
- Eliminate trans fats from your diet : that is, those foods processed in an industrial way (industrial pastries, precooked foods, pizzas, hamburgers, etc.).
- Do not abuse carbohydrates : these are a source of energy for your body, but in excess they could cause serious problems such as obesity. This is because carbohydrates are always broken down into simple sugars that are absorbed into the bloodstream, so it's best to keep them to a minimum.
- Eat fruits and vegetables : these foods cannot be missing from your diet because they are rich in minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, basic nutrients for our body. In addition, they are low-fat foods and are made mainly of fiber and water.
- Don't forget to stay hydrated – each of our cells and tissues depend on water to function optimally, so make sure you drink a minimum of 2 liters of water daily.
On the other hand, it is also important that you consume vitamins and minerals, as they are essential to prevent colds and flu, strengthen skin and hair health, prevent heart problems, etc. Consume vitamin C (orange, berries, broccoli, strawberries), vitamin E (nuts, essential oils), and vitamin A (carrots, tomatoes, pumpkins, etc.)
Keep stress under control and take care of your mental health
Frequent stress can lead to gastrointestinal problems, anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, and skin problems such as acne or psoriasis. In addition, stress and anxiety can weaken the immune system , which can lead to a feeling of extreme tiredness, drastic changes in weight, headaches and muscle aches, and serious sleepiness problems.
Leading a very tense or busy life means that your body does not respond correctly to the stimuli that surround you, in addition to affecting your diet, rest and general health.
In this case, it is essential that you try to sleep a minimum of 6-8 hours a day, because only then can you contribute to improving your energy levels. On the other hand, when faced with anxiety and/or depression problems, we advise you to go to a psychologist , since these disorders can be treated quickly with the patient's will.
For more information, check out this article on How to Manage Anxiety and Stress .
Avoid bad habits
To strengthen the immune system and avoid getting sick easily, not only will it help to eat a good diet and consume the most fundamental nutrients for the proper functioning of the body, but you will also have to give up bad habits that are highly detrimental to health.
- Avoid habitual consumption of alcohol : consuming alcohol is often very harmful to health, as it is a substance that destroys the white blood cells responsible for the body's defense. On the other hand, alcohol in the blood decreases the absorption capacity of certain vitamins and minerals.
- Do not smoke : tobacco is one of the main causes of lung cancer and is, without a doubt, one of the most harmful habits that exist. Smoking causes serious lung and heart disease, increases the risk of infections and diabetes, and, to top it off, causes skin and bone problems, eye disease, and ulcers.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle : eating a balanced diet and consuming the most beneficial nutrients for health is not enough, because you must avoid a sedentary lifestyle at all costs and exercise at least 3 times a week. Exercise will improve your endurance, balance, strength, and overall health.