Parsley (Petroselinum Crispu) is a culinary and aromatic herb widely used as a condiment, it was discovered more than two thousand years ago in the Mediterranean, distributed first in Europe and then taken to the rest of the world. It is used mainly in gastronomy, but also in natural medicine.
Parsley water, for example, is widely used as a home remedy, as it can provide extensive health benefits. If you are wondering why parsley is so useful for culinary art and natural medicine, in we tell you what parsley water is for and how to make it to take advantage of all its properties.
Properties of parsley in infusion
Parsley is a plant rich in beneficial properties for health, as it has high amounts of minerals and vitamins. While parsley is most commonly used to flavor foods, you can take advantage of its benefits more effectively if you consume it in water or infusion. These are the main properties of parsley in infusion:
- It is antioxidant and antibacterial: parsley is rich in vitamin A, C, K and the entire family of B vitamins, which gives it excellent antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
- Strengthens defenses: parsley is composed of minerals such as zinc, essential for the proper functioning of the immune system, the growth of cells and wound healing.
- Maintains the health of the bones and nervous system: it is an important source of calcium and potassium, important for maintaining the health of the bone system, the muscular system and the nervous system.
- Enhances blood health: In turn, it is consumed for its high content of iron, one of the main components of the blood, Therefore, it is ideal to combat anemia and enhance the development of blood cells.
- Improves digestion: Parsley also contains fiber, excellent for good digestion.
What is parsley water for?
Because parsley possesses all the vitamins and minerals mentioned above, it is widely used in both traditional and conventional medicine. One of the ways of preparing this plant that brings more benefits to health is in infusion. Among the uses of parsley water, we can find:
- Eliminates toxins from the body: it serves to purify the body and eliminate toxins from the blood, as it has diuretic properties.
- Helps you lose weight: it can help you lose weight, as it causes satiety and deflates the stomach.
- It could prevent cancer: According to studies from the University of Missouri-Columbia, a combination of parsley with other natural products can stop the multiplication of cancer cells and the growth of malignant tumors in breast cancer.
- Helps to look healthier skin: improves the appearance of the skin thanks to its antioxidant properties.
- Improves sports performance: prevents injuries by maintaining good health of the bone and muscle system.
- Improves eyesight: Drinking parsley water improves and maintains eye health thanks to its source of vitamin A.
- Prevents diabetes: helps control blood sugar levels.
What is fasting parsley for?
Parsley, whether prepared as an infusion or as water, combined with fruits or herbs, will always be beneficial to health. However, drinking parsley on an empty stomach is more beneficial for the body, as it will facilitate the absorption of its nutrients and enhance its properties. Next, we tell you what fasting parsley is for:
- It helps you expel gas and make better digestion throughout the day
- Improves appetite
- Strengthens the body against external agents
- Beautifies hair and nails
- Tones the skin
- Acts as a dilating vessel that helps improve blood circulation for the rest of the day
- Reduces menstrual cramps due to its analgesic action
Parsley is one of the most popular plants for planting at home and for starting a home garden. If you want to know more about How to plant parsley at home and its care, be sure to visit our article about it.
How to make parsley water
To benefit from all the benefits of parsley water, we just have to learn how to prepare it at home. There are several ways to know how to prepare parsley water. Among the most outstanding we have:
Natural parsley water
If you prefer not to consume parsley leaves directly, you can prepare a parsley water that absorbs all its properties. Just follow these steps:
- Place a few sprigs of parsley in a liter of water overnight.
- Cool the water and enjoy it.
Liquefied parsley water
To consume parsley fully integrated into the water, you can prepare liquefied parsley water. It's very simple:
- Add about 5 sprigs of parsley to a liter of water.
- Blend until well mixed.
- Place the preparation in a glass jar, cover with a cloth and put it in the fridge for at least 5 hours.
Parsley water with lemon to lose weight
If you want to use parsley water or tea to lose weight, you can combine parsley with lemon water.
- Bring to a boil 1 liter of water.
- Add several sprigs of parsley.
- Bring to a boil for about ten more minutes.
- Add the juice of two lemons, honey to taste or sugar to sweeten a little.
Parsley water with cucumber and lemon
Cucumber water and lemon water are highly recommended for weight loss. Combine them, add some parsley and enjoy a drink loaded with nutrients and health benefits.
- Wash and chop a lemon and a sliced cucumber.
- Add them in a liter of water.
- Add about 5 branches of fresh parsley.
- Let it sit overnight and then put it in the fridge until you want to take it.
In addition to parsley water, you can also enjoy its properties by preparing a parsley juice with other ingredients. In this way, you will make a super healthy juice. Learn how to make parsley juice by clicking on the link.
Contraindications of parsley water
Not everything is rosy when drinking parsley water, as it has certain contraindications. Pregnant women should not drink parsley water as it can cause them to have an abortion. Nor should lactating women drink parsley water. Parsley water is not recommended for people suffering from kidney problems or heart disease. If you have any questions, consult with your doctor about the effects of drinking parsley water.
How to prepare the infusion of Parsley
In addition to parsley water, parsley infusion is also a very effective way to reap the benefits of parsley. In addition, it is perfect for cold days and is very easy to prepare. Follow these steps:
- In a small pot place to simmer about 3 or 4 cups of water, depending on the amount you are going to drink or the number of people who want to taste this drink in infusion.
- When it boils, place a few sprigs of fresh parsley or 3 to 4 tablespoons of dried parsley. Dried parsley can be found already ground in pharmacies or spice shops. Fresh parsley can be found in supermarkets or popular markets.
- Bring to a boil for about 3 more minutes and turn off the heat.
- Cover the pot and let this drink sit for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the infusion and, if you want to sweeten it, place about 2 teaspoons of sugar.