Cinnamon is one of the most used spices in cooking, since there are many foods that can be combined with it to enjoy a wonderful flavor. And it is that not only can it be used for this purpose, but thanks to its medicinal properties you can use it to benefit from it, providing your body with great health advantages.
One of the ways you can do this is by making a delicious cinnamon infusion. Do you want to know how? Well keep reading, because in this article we tell you what cinnamon water is for and everything about this well-known spice.
What cinnamon water is for – benefits and uses
Thanks to the advantages that cinnamon water brings to your body, you can use it to improve your health and keep it in an optimal state. Here are the benefits and uses of cinnamon water:
- It brings advantages to women: cinnamon water is very useful when you want to speed up your period, as well as regulate it. It has also been used to stimulate childbirth by drinking one or two cups of this water when the expectant mother has passed the known due date.
- Purifies the body: due to its diuretic and purifying properties, in addition to having natural antioxidants, it can help you eliminate unwanted toxins from your body and prevent fluid retention.
- Helps with diabetes: This infusion helps regulate and control blood glucose levels, but check with your doctor first, as it can negatively interfere with certain medications used for this purpose.
- Control high cholesterol: surely if you have high cholesterol levels, you will be interested in this drink, since it is very useful to lower and control these levels. This happens thanks to its antioxidant properties.
- It is digestive: among the properties of cinnamon water, its stimulating and digestive action stands out. Because of this, it can be used against indigestion, lack of appetite, gas, flatulence and slow and heavy digestions.
- It is expectorant and anti-inflammatory: it also contains expectorant and anti-inflammatory properties, so it is useful against flu, colds and respiratory problems.
- Helps you lose weight: Cinnamon water also possesses certain properties that can help you lose weight. If you want to know more about the properties of cinnamon for weight loss, do not miss this other article from on How to lose weight with cinnamon.
- Improves blood circulation: thanks to the antiplatelet, antisclerotic and antithrombotic properties, cinnamon favors the correct circulation of blood.
- Fights bad breath: cinnamon has great aromatic, bacteriostatic and antiseptic properties, which help fight the main causes of bad breath.
How to make cinnamon water
Now that you know all the benefits of cinnamon water, you will surely be interested in knowing how to make this infusion, and in a few minutes, you can have it ready to enjoy its special flavor.
Ingredients for making cinnamon water
You will only need:
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
How to make cinnamon tea step by step
Next, you just have to do the following:
- Fill a saucepan of the size you want with water, depending on the amount you are going to ingest.
- Next, place it on the fire so that the water comes to a boil.
- Before the water starts to boil, crumble the cinnamon stick and add it to the saucepan with water. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
- After those 3 minutes, turn off the heat, cover the saucepan and leave to rest 3 more minutes.
- Finally, remove the cinnamon stick and you can enjoy this wonderful infusion.
If you need more information, you can check out this other article on How to make a cinnamon infusion.
Contraindications and side effects of cinnamon water
However, cinnamon water is not recommended in some cases, as we will indicate below.
Contraindications of cinnamon water
You have to take into account certain considerations when ingesting cinnamon water, since there are some contraindications of cinnamon that it is important that you know:
- Pregnancy or lactation: if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should not ingest this type of spice, since due to two compounds called glycyrrhizin and coumarin, it can be toxic and harmful to the baby, it could also cause problems in its development or even a spontaneous abortion. For more information, see this other article on Abortive plants prohibited in pregnancy.
- Under 6 years: its administration is not recommended in children under 6 years due to the high levels of glucocorticoids that it triggers in the body of the young person.
- Liver or kidney problems: If you suffer from any type of liver or kidney problem, refrain from taking this infusion, as due to coumarin, it could worsen your situation.
- Diabetes medications: If you suffer from diabetes and are medicating, keep in mind that cinnamon could negatively interfere with these medications, so it is best not to take cinnamon infusion.
Side Effects of Cinnamon Water
Side effects are very rare. However, excessive consumption of cinnamon can generate certain adverse effects, such as:
- Stomach pain: Sometimes cinnamon water can cause reflux or heartburn in some people.
- Exhaustion: another of the possible side effects of cinnamon tea is insomnia or, on the contrary, tiredness. In addition, it is sometimes accompanied by excessive sweating.
- Allergic reactions: If you notice that your eyes are itchy, that you have mucus or you notice rashes on your skin after drinking this infusion, you may have an allergy to cinnamon. It is vitally important that you go to the doctor immediately if you have swelling of the throat, lips and / or tongue.
- Heart problems: another of the possible adverse effects of cinnamon can be heart-related problems, since excessive consumption of this spice can generate arrhythmias, tachycardia and respiratory problems.
- Mouth ulcers: Mouth ulcers are also likely to appear, in addition to dermatitis, gingivitis and rashes.
- Bleeding: Excessive consumption of cinnamon tea can cause bleeding due to the anticoagulant properties of cinnamon.