Celery is a vegetable that was previously cultivated by the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians in the Middle East due to its medicinal and aromatic properties.
Many are the people who usually drink water made with this vegetable, as it helps them lose weight and solve the problems of constipation, among other conditions. As if this were not enough, its fasting consumption has a lot of advantages for different parts of the body such as, for example, the kidneys, stomach, skin and even the scalp. If you want to know what celery water is for, we recommend that you continue reading this article from.
Nutritional composition of celery
This vegetable has a large amount of nutrients that provide innumerable benefits to the body. It should be noted that celery is rich in nutrients such as:
- Vitamins A, B1, B2, B16 and C
In addition, it should be noted that for every 100 g of celery this gives us about 15 calories.
What is celery and its water for?
Believe it or not, celery water is an excellent medicine for the human body. For example, there are many people who usually prepare celery water with lemon, adding just a few drops of this citrus, and consume it as a remedy to lose weight. But what exactly is celery water for?
Celery water for weight loss
For example, the use of celery water to lose weight is due to the fact that it is composed of 95% fiber and water. Similarly, it will help you reduce anxiety about eating at any time, as it is satiating. To see the results in the shortest possible time, you should consume a cup on an empty stomach and before each meal, apart from having an overall healthy lifestyle.
Celery for intestinal problems
It should be noted that celery water helps strengthen the intestinal flora and reduce inflammation of the intestines, which is why it will turn out to be a good medicine for those who suffer from diarrhea or intestinal problems such as irritable bowel.
Celery water for hair and skin
With celery water, the hair will also benefit because it eliminates dandruff, controls hair loss and, as if that were not enough, provides shine and keeps it hydrated.
Its consumption will also greatly benefit the skin, helping it to stay hydrated thanks to its high content of Omega 6, in this way, it will be responsible for nourishing the skin and dermis, also avoiding its dryness.
Benefits of Celery on an Empty Stomach
Although consuming celery always brings benefits and, in fact, it is recommended to take it both in the morning and before meals, it is true that most of these are best used when taking it on an empty stomach. The main benefits of drinking celery water on an empty stomach are:
- It helps prevent premature aging: this is because it has a large number of antioxidants that lessen the effects of free radicals. Its fasting intake will be a great ally to help prevent and reduce the symptoms of diseases of the immune system, such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Helps prevent cancer: within the components of this vegetable, there is lemonella, which helps prevent premature aging and cancer of some types, such as liver, breast and stomach.
- It has antibacterial effects: celery has antibacterial properties and, in fact, is able to help eradicate some types of harmful stomach bacteria.
- It acts as a diuretic and depurative: it is perfect for reducing uric acid levels in the body and for eliminating toxins and retained fluids.
- Promotes digestion: helps improve the movement of the intestines, which is why it facilitates digestive processes and recovery from intestinal conditions.
How to make celery water – step by step
To prepare this nutritious drink, you will only need a liter of water and a large stalk of celery. Then, you will have to follow these indications to make celery water step by step:
- Cut and wash with plenty of water the celery stems.
- Put in a pot the liter of water to boil it.
- When you have reached the boiling point, place the celery stalks inside the water in the pot and let it continue to boil for no more than 5 minutes.
- Once this time has elapsed, turn off the stove and let the stems rest in the water for a few more minutes.
- When they are at room temperature, strain the liquid so that, in this way, you can drink the celery water without the stems or other residues.
For some people, its taste can be very bitter, so in this case that you do not want this flavor, sweeten the celery water with honey, stevia or sugar or add a few drops of lemon to give it a fresher and more acidic flavor. In case you are going to take it to purify the body, we recommend you prepare celery water with lemon to lose weight and cleanse your body.
In addition, in such a case, we also recommend you consult these other articles of that will help you prepare this food for this purpose: How to prepare celery tea for weight loss and Pineapple juice and celery for weight loss.
Contraindications of celery water
The consumption of any vegetable in excess can be harmful to health and in the case of celery it is necessary to mention that its intake should be made, as far as possible, for 3 consecutive weeks and then make 1 week of rest.
In this regard, celery juice or water is contraindicated in the following cases:
- People with stomach problems: those who suffer from a digestive condition should stop drinking celery water, as it can worsen their situation.
- Pregnant women: celery in quantity, as with parsley and for the same reason, is contraindicated for women who are in the gestation period. The reason is that it contains a large amount of apiine, a chemical compound that in excess can predispose to an abortion, since it has emmenagogue or menstruation-stimulating properties.
In addition, some of the side effects of celery water if used in excess or badly are:
- Stomach and intestinal conditions.
- Excessive increase in urine output.
Finally, in case you observe any unexpected alteration in your body after having consumed this vegetable directly or its water, you should stop consuming it and communicate it to your trusted doctor.