Canary seed is a cereal that has always been used as food for animals, especially birds. However, did you know that people are currently consuming it as well? This product comes from a plant known scientifically as Phalaris canariensis, which belongs to the grass family and was traditionally grown in the Canary Islands, although today it is also produced in the rest of the world.
But why have we started eating a food that was traditionally for animal consumption? What are its benefits? It has been discovered that canary seed is a cereal that has an excellent nutritional composition in which its richness in proteins and different acids stands out. If you want more information about this cereal, do not miss the following article from, where we will explain what birdseed is for and how it is taken. Don't miss it!
Properties of canaryseed
As we have advanced, the canaryseed is the fruit extracted from the plant known scientifically as Phalaris canariensis. Traditionally, canaryseed was a cereal that was used to feed different animals. However, it is currently also consumed by people due to its nutritional composition:
- Acids: This cereal has a high content of omega 3, omega 6, omega 9, oxalic acid and salicylic acid.
- Vitamins: canaryseed is a cereal that has a good supply of B vitamins.
- Minerals: canaryseed is a fruit that stands out for its richness in potassium, although it also has a good contribution of calcium and magnesium, among others.
- Proteins: canaryseed can provide 13 grams of this nutrient for every 100 grams consumed.
- Other nutrients: This food is rich in amino acids (such as tryptophan), enzymes (especially lipase), dietary fiber, and antioxidants.
Due to this nutritional composition, canaryseed is a cereal that has the following health properties:
- Cardiovascular properties
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Diuretic properties
- Fat burning properties
- Satiating properties
- Circulatory properties
What is canaryseed for – benefits and uses
We already know what the nutrients are and the different properties that this cereal contains. But what is canary seed for? Below we explain the uses and benefits of consuming this food:
Reduces cholesterol levels
As we have advanced, the apiste has great cardiovascular properties. This is mainly because it is a food rich in acids, especially omega 3.
It is good for the kidneys
Another reason why people have begun to consume canary seed is due to its excellent diuretic properties, as these helps eliminate the accumulation of fluids and toxins in the body, something very beneficial for the health of the kidneys. In addition, thanks to this diuretic power, canary seed is recommended to treat urinary tract infections such as cystitis.
Improves blood circulation
In addition to the above benefits, thanks to the nutritional composition of canary seed, this cereal also has circulatory properties. Thanks to these properties, the consumption of this fruit stimulates the blood circulation of our body, thus minimizing the presence of cellulite and preventing other skin problems such as varicose veins.
Protects tissues from free radicals
As we have indicated above, canary seed is cereal rich in antioxidant substances, which stimulate cellular metabolism and protect our skin against free radicals, mainly responsible for cellular oxidation. Thanks to these properties, canary seed can prevent premature aging of the skin.
Birdseed to lose weight
The excellent slimming properties of canaryseed are the main reason why many people have decided to include this cereal in their diet.
On the one hand, canaryseed has a high content of lipase, an enzyme that hydrolyzes or breaks down the fats that are stored in our blood. Thanks to this function, canaryseed transports fat to the cells to spend them as energy instead of accumulating them in our body. On the other hand, canaryseed is rich in protein and potassium, which favors the increase of muscle mass and improves performance during sports practices.
In addition to these properties, canary seed has satiating properties due to its contribution in dietary fiber, so its consumption will help us reduce the feeling of hunger during diets to lose weight. If you want more information about How to lose weight with birdseed, do not miss this other article from.
How to take canary seed
Now that we know what the benefits and properties of this food are, we will explain how to take canaryseed in case you want to use it to lose weight. All you have to do is prepare vegetable canaryseed milk with the following ingredients:
- 90 grams of canary seeds: make sure that the fruit you choose is free of silica, a substance harmful to health.
- 1 liter of mineral water.
Preparation of canary seed milk
- First of all, you will have to pour the indicated seeds with a cup of water into a saucepan and let them soak for a whole night. In this way, we will be able to enhance the nutrients of the canaryseed such as fiber and proteins.
- Once the indicated time has passed, you will have to remove the water that has been left over from the saucepan and add the canary seeds in a blender with the remaining 3 cups of water.
- Process the ingredients for a few seconds until you get the vegetable canaryseed drink.
To use this drink to lose weight, you will have to take 1 cup before breakfast. The milk that is left over, will have to be distributed between 2 or 3 cups more a day. Do you want to know more about this amazing vegetable milk? Do not miss this other article about Canary seed milk: properties, benefits and how to make it.