Canaryseed is a cereal that has always been used as food for animals, especially for birds. However, did you know that people are also consuming it today? This product comes from a plant scientifically known as Phalaris canariensis , which belongs to the grass family and was traditionally cultivated in the Canary archipelago, although today it is also produced in the rest of the world.
But, why have we started eating a food that was traditionally for animal consumption? What are its benefits? It has been discovered that canary grass is a cereal that has an excellent nutritional composition , in which its richness in proteins and different acids stands out.
As we have anticipated, canaryseed is the fruit extracted from the plant scientifically known as Phalaris canariensis . Traditionally, canary grass was a cereal that was used to feed different animals. However, it is currently also consumed by people due to its nutritional composition :
- Acids : This cereal is high in omega 3, omega 6, omega 9, oxalic acid and salicylic acid.
- Vitamins : Canaryseed is a cereal that has a good supply of B vitamins.
- Minerals : Canaryseed is a fruit that stands out for its richness in potassium, although it also has a good supply of calcium and magnesium, among others.
- Proteins : birdseed can provide 13 grams of this nutrient for every 100 grams consumed.
- Other nutrients : this food is rich in amino acids (such as tryptophan), enzymes (especially lipase), dietary fiber and antioxidants.
Due to this nutritional composition, canaryseed is a cereal that has the following health properties :
- cardiovascular properties
- anti-inflammatory properties
- diuretic properties
- fat burning properties
- satiating properties
- circulatory properties
What is birdseed for – benefits and uses
We already know what the nutrients are and the different properties that this cereal contains. But, what is canary grass used for? Here we explain the uses and benefits of consuming this food:
Reduces cholesterol levels
As we have anticipated, the apiste has great cardiovascular properties. This is mainly due to the fact that it is a food rich in acids, especially in omega 3.
It's good for the kidneys
Another reason why people have begun to consume birdseed is due to its excellent diuretic properties, as these help eliminate the accumulation of fluids and toxins in the body, something very beneficial for the health of the kidneys. In addition, thanks to this diuretic power, canaryseed is recommended to treat urinary infections such as cystitis .
Improves blood circulation
In addition to the above benefits, thanks to the nutritional composition of birdseed, this cereal also has circulatory properties. Thanks to these properties, the consumption of this fruit stimulates the blood circulation of our body, thus minimizing the presence of cellulite and preventing other skin problems such as varicose veins.
Protects tissues from free radicals
As we have indicated previously, canary seed is a cereal rich in antioxidant substances, which stimulate cellular metabolism and protect our skin against free radicals, the main responsible for cellular oxidation. Thanks to these properties, canaryseed can prevent premature aging of the skin .
Canary seed to lose weight
The excellent slimming properties of birdseed are the main reason why many people have decided to include this cereal in their diet.
On the one hand, canaryseed has a high content of lipase, an enzyme that hydrolyzes or breaks down the fats that are stored in our blood. Thanks to this function, birdseed transports fat to the cells to spend it as energy instead of accumulating it in our body. On the other hand, canary seed is rich in protein and potassium, which favors the increase in muscle mass and improves performance during sports practices.
In addition to these properties, canary seed has satiating properties due to its contribution in dietary fiber, so its consumption will help us reduce the feeling of hunger during diets to lose weight.
How canaryseed is taken
Now that we know what the benefits and properties of this food are, we will explain how to take canary seed if you want to use it to lose weight. The only thing you will have to do is prepare vegetable canary seed milk with the following ingredients:
- 90 grams of canary seed: make sure that the fruit you choose is free of silica, a substance that is harmful to health.
- 1 liter of mineral water.
Preparation of canary seed milk
- First of all, you will have to pour the indicated seeds with a cup of water in a saucepan and leave them to soak overnight. In this way, we will be able to enhance the nutrients of the canary seed such as fiber and protein.
- Once the indicated time has passed, you will have to remove the remaining water from the saucepan and add the canary seed in a blender with the remaining 3 cups of water.
- Process the ingredients for a few seconds until you obtain the vegetable canary seed drink.
To use this drink to lose weight, you will have to drink 1 cup before breakfast. The leftover milk will have to be distributed between 2 or 3 more cups a day. Do you want to know more about this incredible vegetable milk? Do not miss this other article on Canary seed milk: properties, benefits and how to make it .