Ginger and lemon are part of that group of prodigious foods that nature gives us and that, in addition, are a privilege for the palate. Ginger has a characteristic spicy flavor, which makes it a highly appreciated ingredient in cooking, and lemon has a lot of freshness, provides acid flavor and a pleasant fragrance. If you put both ingredients together to prepare a tea, you will be drinking a real source of health and benefits.
In we tell you what ginger and lemon tea is for and how to make it. We talk about both the properties, benefits and uses of this tea, as well as when it is not convenient to consume it.
Ginger: nutrients and properties
Ginger and lemon tea is a drink that can be drunk hot or cold, with a pleasant flavor and that brings together the benefits of these two ingredients. Ginger is the inner stem of the zingiber officinale plant. Its cultivation originated in South Asia from where it has spread to East Africa reaching the Caribbean. It is widely used in natural medicine, as it has many beneficial properties for our health.
Properties of ginger for health
- It helps regulate glucose, triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
In addition, two of its compounds, shogaol and gingerol, contribute to accelerate metabolism, which helps the body consume more calories and eliminate fats. Therefore, there are people who take ginger to thin the abdomen, hips, buttocks or other areas where cellulite usually accumulates and there may be fluid retention; however, we must bear in mind that it is necessary to follow a balanced diet and exercise to lose weight and do it in a healthy way.
Lemon: nutrients and properties
For its part, lemon has its origins in Southeast Asia and it was the Arabs who introduced it to Europe. In the eighteenth century, it was a very popular fruit among sailors, who consumed it to prevent scurvy, thanks to its high content of vitamin C and citric acid. Lemon contains a significant amount of minerals such as potassium, selenium, iron and magnesium. Thus, this prodigious fruit is considered an essential food thanks to the properties it has.
Properties of lemon for health
- Immune system stimulant.
- Thanks to vitamin C, it helps in the process of collagen production, iron absorption and wound healing.
Regarding the last property of this fruit, we want to clarify that, although it may seem strange, lemon is an alkaline food for the body. In itself it is acidic, but when we digest it, the resulting substances are alkaline, which helps us maintain an alkaline pH of the blood, and in general of the whole organism, which helps to have a healthier body.
What ginger and lemon tea is for: benefits
In short, taking into account the properties of both foods, these are the main benefits of this tea.
Benefits of Ginger and Lemon Tea
- It helps to lose your weight.
- Reduces abdominal inflammation.
- Relieves stomach pain and flatulence.
- Relieves coughing.
- Facilitates digestion.
- It helps regulate glucose, cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- It facilitates the absorption of calcium, so it helps strengthen bones.
- It makes it easier for us to maintain good skin health.
How to make ginger and lemon tea
If you want to benefit from these properties, do not hesitate to tell your doctor if it is right for you, especially if you suffer from a chronic disease. Once you know that the doctor can take it, you can start making the tea. Preparing ginger and lemon tea is as simple as having these ingredients on hand and following the steps:
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 piece of ginger root
- 1 cup with hot water
- Heat the water in a saucepan and when it comes to a boil add the ginger.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes and then turn off the heat, cover it and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Once the time has passed, serve the ginger tea in a cup and squeeze the half lemon, to add a little to the tea. You will have a delicious cup of tea with ginger and lemon.
- If you want to sweeten your prodigious drink, use a natural sweetener like Stevia or a teaspoon of honey.
- You can also add cinnamon, because ginger, cinnamon and lemon tea is also delicious and, thus, you will add the benefits of cinnamon tea that are many.
Contraindications of ginger and lemon tea
Regarding the contraindications of drinking ginger and lemon tea, we want to indicate that, generally, it is that it is not convenient to consume it daily and, above all, if you suffer from any of these problems:
- Ginger is not recommended if you suffer from hyperthyroidism.
- In addition, as it is vasodilator, stimulant and accelerates circulation, it can increase blood pressure, so it is not recommended in people suffering from cardiovascular diseases.
- It is also possible that this tea causes some allergic reactions in people very sensitive to some of its components.
- It can cause gastric discomfort in those who suffer from gastrointestinal diseases frequently, since both ginger and lemon are quite acidic ingredients.
- In addition, because of its anticoagulant effect, it is not suitable for people who consume anticoagulant drugs, such as warfarin or aspirin, or for people with blood clotting problems.
- It is also not recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
At we always want to provide you with information that can be useful to improve your quality of life. However, it is very important that you consult with your doctor about the advisability or otherwise of including ginger and lemon tea in your daily diet.