Epsom salts are widely used in the field of health due to the many properties it contains. Thanks to these properties, Epsom salts have such different uses as cleaning the liver or colon or to lose weight, among many other uses that it can have.
What are epsom salts
Epsom salts are a chemical compound made up of sulfate and magnesium, which is why they are also commonly known as magnesium sulfate or magnesium sulfate. However, this compound is also called English salt because it was in England where they were first made.
But what is magnesium sulfate ? Magnesium sulfate is actually the basis of the composition of Epsom salts. The difference is that magnesium sulfate has to undergo a hydration process in order to be called a salt. In fact, unhydrated magnesium sulfate is less common and is used in industry due to its drying effect.
What are Epsom salts for?
Epsom salts have been used for many years for different uses, since properties are attributed to them that allow people to receive various benefits from this product.
The key is that magnesium is easily absorbed through the skin and by the body, although when used orally, it is more difficult to digest. In addition, magnesium is a mineral that the body needs, and the intake of around 300 milligrams per day is recommended . But what are Epsom salts really for? These are the main uses :
- Bath salts – Epsom salts are used like normal bath salts for the bathtub. Its properties, in this case, focus on being an excellent exfoliant.
- Detoxification : Magnesium sulfate is very commonly used to detoxify the body. In fact, it is common to use Epsom salts to cleanse the colon. But this is not the only use, since they also allow the body to be purified to eliminate heavy metals, medicine residues or environmental contaminants. Epsom salts for liver cleansing are also quite effective.
- Digestive system : these salts act on the digestive tract, thus helping to strengthen it. Also, taking Epsom salts to lose weight can be a great solution, as they are known to significantly speed up metabolism.
- Circulatory system : this chemical compound also has benefits for the circulatory system. Besides, it helps in the prevention of blood clots and hardening of the arteries. In general, Epsom salts improve heart health.
- Joints : Magnesium sulfate promotes the strengthening of joints, as it provides strength to the proteins found in these bones. In addition, they help to reduce pain related to bones and muscles, as well as cramps.
- Nervous system : in this case, the benefits of Epsom salts focus on improving the functioning of the nervous system in general and, in particular, they help to produce serotonin, thus favoring a better mood. It is also useful to combat the signs of stress and anxiety.
If you want to know more about the possible uses of these salts, take a look at this article on How to use Epsom salts .
Contraindications of Epsom salts
Despite the benefits of Epsom salts, it must also be taken into account that they can have harmful side effects related to misuse and abuse of their use or intake.
Knowing the contraindications of Epsom salts is key, since otherwise, the consequences could be serious for health. What warning signs of misuse or excessive use of Epsom salts? :
- stomach distinction
- Low blood pressure
- Decreased heart rate
- Redness of the skin
Before any of these symptoms, it is important to see a doctor immediately and stop taking Epsom salts.
Where to buy epsom salts
Epsom salts can be purchased at many places. For example, it is common for them to be purchased in supermarkets and in stores specializing in the sale of natural products. In some cases, they are even sold in garden stores, since they can also provide benefits to plants. However, in this case, you always have to make sure that they are suitable for the people and for the use that you want to give them.