Table of foods with vitamin D

0
95

To maintain the proper functioning of the body and also excellent health in the bones and teeth, it is essential to obtain a good daily dose of vitamin D, the so-called vitamin of the sun. There are two basic ways to obtain this substance: the exposure of ultraviolet rays – with which we can achieve up to 80% of the necessary amount of vitamin D – and that which comes from food, with this we can cover the remaining 20%. Therefore, it is essential to include in our diet foods with vitamin D that allow us to maintain the resistance and strength of our bone system and prevent serious diseases.

Table of foods with vitamin D

Want to know more? Next, in we provide you with a table of foods with vitamin D that you cannot miss in your day to day. Discover the functions of this substance and how to maintain correct levels in your body. Notes!

What is vitamin D

Vitamins are substances that help the body grow, develop, and function normally. In the case of vitamin D, it is a fat-soluble vitamin that has a fundamental role, in this case it helps regulate the functioning of our body. Vitamin D is a vitamin that is involved in numerous physiological processes. Among them, it is worth mentioning one of its missions: the absorption and maintenance of the correct levels of calcium in the bones. In addition, it favors free phosphorus in the blood. We point out that the deficit of this vitamin can lead to bone problems, such as osteoporosis or bone fractures.

On the other hand, vitamin D in the body performs other functions, such as:

  • Muscle maintenance.
  • The regulation of the immune system.
  • Participation in the brain development of infants and children.
  • The maintenance of skin health.

Which foods are rich in vitamin D

To obtain vitamin D it is enough to expose ourselves to the sun between 15 and 20 minutes a day, that is why it is known as the vitamin of the sun, however, not all people have this possibility nor in all countries it is so easy to have hours of sun. Therefore, you should know that this is not the only way to obtain an adequate daily dose of vitamin D, since it is also necessary 20% of this substance through a healthy, varied, balanced diet rich in foods that contain this vitamin.

If you're wondering what are the foods richest in vitamin D, here are the main groups:

  • Fatty fish (both fresh and preserved)
  • Eggs
  • Dairy products and derivatives

In addition to these food groups, it should be noted that some products in particular are a great source of vitamin D.

  1. Cod liver oil
  2. Salmon oil
  3. Veal liver
  4. Pig liver
  5. Salmon
  6. Sardines
  7. Mackerel
  8. Herring
  9. Tuna
  10. Oysters
  11. Prawns
  12. Prawns
  13. Anchovies
  14. Whole milk
  15. Yogurts
  16. Cheese
  17. Butter
  18. Eggs
  19. Mushrooms
  20. Sardines

How to Increase Vitamin D Levels

Since there are not many symptoms that indicate vitamin D deficiency in the body, it is important to know what are the recommended amounts of vitamin D daily in international units (IU) so that our body has the appropriate dose of this vitamin.

  • Up to 12 months: 400 IU
  • From 1 to 13 years: 600 IU
  • From 14 to 70 years: 600 IU
  • Over 71 years: 800 IU
  • Pregnant and lactating women: 600 IU

In case you are at risk of vitamin D deficiency or have not obtained the recommended amount, it is important to consult the doctor to determine what dose is needed and how to increase it correctly. However, through food and sun exposure you can get vitamin D properly. To increase vitamin D levels, follow these tips:

  • Diet. Eating a healthy and varied diet is essential to obtain good doses of vitamin D. You can find it in foods such as fatty fish (salmon, mackerel or herring), the yolk of eggs, meat or fortified foods.
  • Sun. Sunbathing moderately and with protection helps the body synthesize vitamin D. Taking between 10 and 15 minutes of sun three times a week is enough to cover our vitamin needs.
  • Vitamin D supplements. Another option to increase vitamin D levels is to take food supplements or multivitamins.

If you want to know that fruits and vegetables contain vitamin E, do not miss this article.

Author

Leave a Reply