Inflammation of the lymph nodes of the neck, also known as lymphadenitis, is mainly caused by viruses or bacteria, although it can also occur due to other pathologies such as, for example, the presence of cancer.
The causes of the inflammation will determine the symptoms and treatment to prevent you from having swelling in the nodes and overcome the problem that causes this symptom. Anyway, from we are going to tell you the main symptoms and treatments of swollen neck nodes. In addition, we explain some natural remedies that can help you relieve symptoms.
Symptoms of swollen neck nodes
Although the human body has lymph nodes throughout the body, it is more common for those located in the neck area to become inflamed. The cause is clear, because it is common for them to act as authentic filters of viruses and bacteria to prevent their passage into the body, which facilitates their concentration in this part.
In general, if you have swollen neck nodes, you will notice two clear symptoms such as pain in the area, as well as increased sensitivity. You will also notice the inflammation itself, since the nodes, when inflamed, acquire a larger size, which can exceed that of a bean.
Apart from these two generic symptoms, the symptomatology can vary depending on the cause that has originated the inflammation, being confused with other clinical pictures because, some of the symptoms, are very common in many diseases. Thus, these are the symptoms of lymphadenitis in the neck:
- Tenderness and pain in the neck.
- Fever is one of the main signs. And it is that you always have an infection in the body raises the body temperature. Swollen lymph nodes are no exception.
- Sweating, especially nocturnal sweating, is also another indication that you may have swollen neck nodes. This symptom is usually accompanied by a feverish picture.
- The increase in mucus is related to this type of infection, mainly, with those that take place in the respiratory tract. If a flu or cold, for example, is the cause, you'll also notice fever and sweating. Another related symptom is pain in the throat.
- The size of the nodes increases considerably and rapidly when the inflammation is caused by the presence of a possible tumor.
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck, which is accompanied by their appearance in other parts of the body, is another clear symptom. In this case, it points to other diseases such as an immune system disorder or HIV. Other pathologies are mononucleosis, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.
Drug treatment for swollen neck nodes
The treatment for swollen nodes will vary depending on the cause, as we have already discussed above. In general, if it is due to a process caused by bacteria, it can be solved by taking antibiotics.
On the contrary, if the infection has been caused by a virus, it is possible that it will disappear on its own without the need to follow any clinical treatment, once the virus has completed its cycle. Sometimes, doctors simply prescribe medicines to relieve symptoms.
In more serious cases, such as HIV or cancer or other pathologies, you should attend to all the indications that the doctor gives you, after having carried out the relevant tests, regarding the possible treatment and possible changes in habits.
Natural Remedies for Swollen Neck Ganglia
Apart from the pharmacological treatment that the doctor prescribes, at home we can follow a series of tips and natural remedies to be better and help the inflammation disappear more quickly. For example, one of the best home remedies to reduce inflammation of the neck ganglia is to apply heat to the area through compresses or cloths soaked in warm water to reduce inflammation, as well as taking steam baths, especially if it is a respiratory infection.
Apart from applying heat to the neck, another remedy is to keep in mind that the feeding is convenient that you monitor it until you recover and see that the inflammation of the nodes of the neck has been reduced. For example, here are some tips on eating:
- Reduces the consumption of salt to avoid fluid retention and, consequently, fats that promote the appearance of lumps. It is also good to increase your intake of protein from meat, eggs and dairy to eliminate toxins.
- Pineapple is a good food in these cases for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Orange will help you increase your defenses when your nodes are swollen from an upper respiratory infection.
From we hope to have helped you detect and know the symptoms and treatments of swollen neck nodes, although remember that it is very important that you always consult the doctor to prescribe the medications and indicate the best care according to your case, as they can vary greatly depending on the cause.