Basil, scientifically known as Ocimun basilicum L., is a plant of the labiada family that is grown in different tropical regions of Asia, although it was originally native to areas such as Iran and India. Also called by other names such as basilica or alhabaga, it is an herb that stands out for its leaves, which have a very pleasant aroma so it is used as a condiment in many food dishes.
In addition to being a spice to flavor meals, basil is popularly considered a natural remedy for weight loss since it has different digestive properties that facilitate the burning of fats. However, if you want to know more about the properties of basil to lose weight, we recommend that you continue reading this article of where we will also explain some ways to use it. Notes!
Nutritional composition of basil
Basil is an edible plant native to India that is characterized by the aroma of both its leaves and flowers. However, in addition to being considered as an aromatic herb, basil can be beneficial for our health due to its composition. This is the nutritional composition of basil:
- Essential oils: estragole, linalool, methylcavicol, cineole, eugenol, pinene, methylcinamate and geraniol.
- Vitamins: vitamin E and vitamin B1.
- Minerals: potassium and calcium.
- Acids: caffeic and rosmarinic.
- Other nutrients: tannins, saponosides, flavonoids, fiber and beta-carotene.
Properties of basil for weight loss
As we have anticipated, the basilica or albahaga is a plant that is used as a spice to flavor different foods for its aromatic leaves. However, this herb has different digestive benefits can be very useful in diets as they favor weight loss. Next, we will explain the different properties of basil for weight loss:
- Diuretic properties: thanks to its potassium and flavonoid content, basil helps us reduce fluid retention in our body as it stimulates our renal system and increases the amount of urine.
- Depurative properties: its richness in fiber gives it a powerful detox effect that eliminates the accumulation of toxins and impurities from our body.
- Satiating properties: in addition to purifying the body, the fiber with which basil is composed has a satiating effect, which helps us reduce appetite.
- Carminative properties: its antispasmodic effect is ideal for weight loss as it prevents the formation of gas and flatulence and therefore reduces both abdominal pain and bloating.
- Stimulating properties: basil is considered as a digestive stimulant since it improves gastric metabolism, which favors weight loss.
- Aromatic properties: the aroma that its leaves give off have a relaxing power that can come in handy to control anxiety about food.
How to use basil for weight loss – natural remedies
Now that we know the properties of basil to lose weight, here are some natural remedies that are the best ways to take basil to lose weight:
Basil essential oil
This natural product can be found in any herbalist or make your own basil oil with the help of one of our articles. Once you have it you will only have to mix 2 or 3 drops in a tablespoon of water and add the mixture to one of your meals either in salads, meats or soups.
Basil infusion to lose weight
We can also choose to use this plant in the form of an infusion. To make it you will have to add in a pot 1 liter of water along with 30 grams of basil leaves and let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes. When you have boiled for the indicated time, strain the contents to remove the remains of the leaves.
As you may have seen, the infusion we have made gives for a few cups. In case you want to lose weight, take between 2 and 4 cups a day of this infusion, preferably on an empty stomach or during the hour’s furthest from your meals.
Basil juice is also an excellent option for weight loss since it has ingredients with diuretic, antioxidant and digestive properties such as celery, tomato and garlic, which are ingredients you can include in the juice.
To prepare it you will have to peel 2 cloves of garlic, chop them and add them to a blender. Then peel 3 tomatoes and add them to the glass along with 3 celery branches and 1 bunch of basil leaves. Process everything and drink this juice 1 time a day.
You may be interested in how to keep basil fresh so that you can store it well and last longer.