The American cranberry or scientifically called Vaccinium oxycoccus macrocarpus is a fruit that is extracted from a deciduous plant native to the eastern part of North America and, although it is currently the area where this type of blueberries are most produced, they can also be found in other regions of Europe and South America.
This type of blueberry, in addition to being characteristic for its color and acidic flavor, is a fruit that thanks to its composition in vitamins and minerals has become a natural remedy in both medicine and cosmetics. In this article we explain what are the different properties of the American cranberry and its great benefits for our health.
Composition and nutritional values of the American cranberry
American cranberries are the fruit of a deciduous plant that belongs to the family of shrubs that have the name of ericaceas. Also known as cranberry, in English, the American cranberry is a well-known berry due to its medicinal use and is formed by the following nutritional composition:
- Flavonoids: The American cranberry is rich mainly in anthocyanins, although it also contains rutin, bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene and quercetin.
- Vitamins: among them, its content of vitamin A and C stands out.
- Tannins: polyphenolic compounds with astringent power.
- Organic acids: among them we find gallic acid, citric acid, benzoic acid and quinic acid among others.
- Minerals: The American cranberry is rich in potassium, iron and magnesium.
American cranberry as a treatment for cystitis
One of the properties of the American cranberry is its antibacterial power to fight and prevent urinary infections such as cystitis. In addition, thanks to its content of hippurcic acid that increases the acidity of urine, the consumption of American cranberry eliminates bacteria and prevents their development in the urinary tract.
This cranberry is also used as a natural remedy for the dissolution of kidney stones as it contains both astringent and diuretic properties that facilitate the expulsion of calcium oxalates and in the dissolution of grit.
Discover in this other article of the best Juices for cystitis with blueberries and other fruits and vegetables.
American cranberries improve blood circulation
Another of the properties of the American cranberry is that, due to its high content of bioflavonoids that contain antiplatelet, antihemorrhagic and vasodilator properties, they are an effective treatment for those with blood circulation problems. The use of american cranberry will improve the following cardiovascular diseases:
- Hemorrhoids: The American cranberry can be used to improve blood circulation in the case of hemorrhoids since, in addition, it contains anti-inflammatory properties that reduce itching in the area.
- Varicose veins: its vasodilator properties manage to visibly reduce varicose veins in addition to improving their blood circulation.
- Arteriosclerosis: its different properties manage to reduce some of the symptoms of this disease such as leg pain, dizziness and headache.
It is a natural remedy that promotes the health of the eyes
Another of the properties of the American cranberry is thanks to its richness in flavonoids called anthocyanins, which have excellent antioxidant properties that protect and repair the damage that occurs in the eyes due to free radicals. In addition, anthocyanins are also responsible for the cellular repair of the nerve area of the retina and accelerate the formation of rhodopsin, proteins that are responsible for the correct entry of light into the eye.
Thanks to these properties, the American cranberry has been used as a treatment for the following vision disorders:
- Glaucoma: Thanks to its cell regeneration properties, cranberry protects the formation of collagen in the eye, which helps keep the ocular structure firm and strong.
- Night blindness: its richness in rhodopsins and its oxidizing properties, make the American cranberry can combat this disorder since it manages to regulate the entry of light into our eyes.
- Astigmatism: the tension in the eye tissue that occurs because of this disease can be remedied with the American cranberry since it has anti-inflammatory properties that decrease this symptom.
American cranberry to treat digestive problems
In the list of properties of the American cranberry, you can also include the effectiveness against digestive problems due to its richness in hydroquinones and gallic acid that contain excellent anti-vomiting and astringent properties; to its content in potassium, rutin and quercetin that contain powerful antispasmodic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and, finally, also to beta-carotene and its composition in caryophyllene that give the American cranberry gastroprotective properties.
Thanks to this list of properties, the American cranberry is an excellent natural remedy that fights digestive disorders such as diarrhea, intestinal inflammations, poor or heavy digestion, heartburn and gastroenteritis.