The red onion or also known by scientific name of Allium strain L. is a biennial plant that belongs to the Lily family and that has its origin in southwest Asia, although it is currently cultivated in different regions of the world. The red onion is one of the most popular varieties around the world that not only stands out for its striking color or for its recognizable smell. This food, in addition to having a hole in almost any food, is full of essential nutrients for our health.
In this article we explain the different medicinal properties of red onion in addition to its nutritional composition and its incredible health benefits. Include this wonderful food on your shopping list!
Nutritional composition of red onion
The red onion is a very famous variety that stands out for having within its composition the following nutrients:
- Thiopropionic acid: it is responsible for the famous smell of onions, which produces tearing.
- Glycolic acid: it is a substance that has excellent anti-acne properties.
- It also contains other acids such as sulfocyanic, psychotics, gallic, tartaric, caffeic and oleanolic acid.
- Essential oils: onions are rich in sulfur components such as alliin and allicin, which contain wonderful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and circulatory properties.
- Flavonoids: red onion is the richest in quercetin, a substance that has capillary properties that strengthen the hair.
- Amino acids: among them stands out its content in arginine, lysine and glycine.
- Minerals: among its long list are potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus although they also have other minerals such as zinc, selenium, iron and manganese.
- Vitamins: it is rich in vitamin C, vitamin E and B vitamins (B6 and B9).
The red onion to activate circulation
Thanks to its richness in some essential oils such as alliin and allicin, red or purple onion contains excellent antithrombotic properties that give us the following benefits in our cardiovascular health:
- It prevents the formation of clots and improves blood circulation.
- Fights circulatory diseases such as arteriosclerosis and hypertension.
- It also regulates bad cholesterol levels.
- Finally, it also helps to improve other circulatory problems such as the formation of hemorrhoids.
Red or red onion, an excellent diuretic
The red onion also has diuretic properties thanks to the fact that it is a food rich in minerals such as potassium, caffeic acid and flavonoids. These properties help reduce fluid retention and accelerate our metabolism, as it also favors the expulsion of residual substances that slow it down. These benefits make red onion an ideal food for those who suffer from obesity or who simply want to lose weight.
Red or red onion is a powerful natural antibiotic
This food has powerful antibacterial properties due to its richness in sulfur substances, which makes it an effective treatment in infections related to the digestive system such as gastroenteritis, diarrhea and intestinal putrefaction and, also, can prevent some sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea.
The onion also has anti-inflammatory properties thanks to its high content of quercitin that can also make it a good treatment for infections related to the intestine, since it can relieve the swelling that usually occurs in this type of conditions.
Red onion, effective remedy against respiratory diseases
Red onion is a food with powerful antitussive, expectorant, mucolytic and anti-inflammatory properties thanks to its high content of flavonoids (especially quercitin) and essential oils such as allyl disulfide and thiosulfinate.
All these properties make red onion an excellent natural remedy that can relieve the symptoms that occur in respiratory diseases such as asthma, flu, colds, bronchitis, cough and pharyngitis among others. Although it is always advisable to combine this remedy with the treatments prescribed by a specialist doctor.
Other healing properties of red onion
In addition to all the properties and benefits of the red or red onion that we have just discussed, there are other medicinal properties of this type of onion.
- The red onion and its richness in quercetin, sulfur components and gallic acid, make it a powerful antioxidant with anticancer properties.
- It relieves the symptoms produced by an allergic reaction to pollen due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Its antibacterial properties make it an excellent natural remedy that reduces acne.
- It can also be used to combat hair problems such as dandruff and hair loss thanks to its disinfectant properties and its ability to activate circulation.
- Finally, red onion promotes bone growth and prevents diseases such as osteoporosis.