Lemon balm, also known as lemon balm, is considered a medicinal plant thanks to the great benefits it provides to health. This plant, increasingly used, can be purchased in natural product stores or in a specialized store. You can also grow it and keep it in your home, in order to prepare a delicious tea and take advantage of everything it can contribute to the body.
Benefits of lemon balm tea
Lemon balm is an herb native to the Mediterranean known for its mental health and pain-relieving properties. Although the power of its effects is still being investigated, many people claim that consuming lemon balm tea brings innumerable medicinal benefits to the body. Among them are:
- Helps relieve nerves : thanks to its chemical composition, lemon balm has a calming and sedative effect.
- It has diuretic properties : taking lemon balm tea could help us reduce fluid retention.
- Relieves digestive problems : helps reduce stomach cramps, thanks to its antispasmodic properties.
- Soothes pain : due to its analgesic characteristics, lemon balm tea can be useful to treat pain such as migraine, toothache or menstrual pain.
- It is an antioxidant : it helps protect cells and promotes their regeneration.
If you want to learn more about all the benefits of this wonderful plant, do not hesitate to visit our article about the benefits of lemon balm.
What is lemon balm tea good for?
Thanks to its benefits, lemon balm tea is widely used to treat mental and physical health problems. In addition, it is also a delicious flavoring, as it has a rich lemon aroma that helps repel insects such as mosquitoes. Other uses of lemon balm tea include:
- Use lemon balm tea to sleep : thanks to its relaxing and calming properties, you will surely sleep better if you drink a cup of this infusion before going to bed, especially if you have trouble sleeping.
- Relieve stomach aches and gas, as well as other digestive disorders.
- Calm stress, anxiety and hypertension : a cup of lemon balm tea helps us to be more serene and calm.
- Purify the liver and improve liver function.
- Help lose weight : thanks to its properties to improve digestion and anxiety, lemon balm tea for weight loss can be an excellent complement to a balanced diet and a good exercise routine to lose a few extra kilos.
- Improve concentration – Thanks to its concentration-boosting qualities, lemon balm tea is excellent for students.
- Help expel the accumulation of fluids from the body, thanks to its diuretic properties.
- Relieve menstrual cramps , as well as migraines and dizziness.
- Improve symptoms of a cold , flu, or flu.
As you can see, there are many uses that we can give to lemon balm tea, so don't hesitate to try this infusion! If you want to know more about its qualities, go to our article where we talk about the properties of lemon balm .
On the other hand, you can combine lemon balm tea and valerian to achieve a state full of tranquility. In this way, you can calm your nerves and, in addition, you can use it to sleep, since valerian is the best known natural tranquilizer.
How to make lemon balm infusion
Do you want to know how to prepare a magnificent lemon balm tea? Next, we will explain it to you step by step. Too easy! You will only need a tablespoon of lemon balm leaves and a cup of water.
- Put a cup of water in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- When it starts to boil, add a tablespoon of dried lemon balm leaves, cover and let stand for about 7 minutes.
- After those 7 minutes, remove the infusion from the heat and let it rest for a few more minutes until it cools.
- Strain the tea and enjoy this infusion.
If you prefer, you can also prepare the infusion with fresh lemon balm . The process is similar to the one explained above. You only have to add a good twig with its leaves and this amount will be enough to make a cup.
How to make lemon balm water
You can also make lemon balm or lemon balm water . To refresh yourself with an excellent drink to relax, you just have to follow the following steps:
- Place a lemon cut into slices in a container with a liter and a half of water.
- Next, shake out a few lemon balm branches and add them.
- Then, put the container in the freezer and let it sit for three to four hours before consuming it.
- You can sweeten it with sugar or honey, but it is preferable not to add anything else to make the most of its properties.
If you want to benefit from all the properties of this wonderful herb in the purest and most natural way, you can have your own lemon balm plant at home! To learn how to care for and how to plant lemon balm , just visit the link. It is a very easy to maintain and very generous plant, in addition, its leaves give off a pleasant aroma that you can use as a flavoring agent in your home.
Lemon balm tea contraindications
There are not many side effects when it comes to consuming lemon balm tea. However, there are certain considerations that must be taken into account before incorporating this infusion into the diet. Some of them are:
- It can slow the heart rate, cause drowsiness, and cause a drop in blood pressure.
- It is not recommended for people with hypothyroidism.
- Lemon balm tea is not recommended for pregnant or lactating women. If you want to consume it, it is advisable to consult your doctor in advance.
- Lemon balm tea can irritate the stomach, so it is not advisable to take it if you have ulcers or other irritating digestive disorders.
- In excessive amounts, lemon balm tea can be toxic. It is recommended not to drink more than 3 cups a day.
- It is not recommended to drink it if, at the same time, antidepressants, antihistamines, narcotics or other serotonin reuptake inhibitors are being taken.
If you want to know more natural ways to treat anxiety and stress, we invite you to visit our article about the best infusions to calm anxiety .