Do you know the properties of Jamaican water for health? The Jamaican flower, also known scientifically as Hibiscus rosa-sinensis L., is a plant of the malvaceae family that comes mainly from the warm areas of Asia. However, the cultivation of the shrub from which the flowers of Jamaica are extracted has been spreading over the years to other warm areas of the world since it has now become a very popular natural remedy due to its different medicinal benefits.
Although these flowers can be added as a condiment to fruit juices and smoothies, Jamaican water or hibiscus tea is the best-known way to take advantage of this plant as it has a pleasant taste and can be used as a natural remedy for different health problems. Do you want to know more about homemade preparation? In the following article.
Facts of water from Jamaica
The flower of Jamaica, also popularly known as hibiscus or rose of China, is a plant that is used to make different natural remedies such as Jamaican water, since it has a wide variety of nutrients among which its contribution in vitamins (C, B2 and B1), minerals (calcium, iron and phosphorus), acids (hyposcic, malic and citric), soluble fiber and flavonoids.
Due to this nutritional composition, these are the main properties of Jamaican water for health:
- Emollient properties: thanks to its richness in mucilage or soluble fiber, hibiscus has a powerful moisturizing and healing effect that protects our skin and accelerates the healing process of wounds, cuts, burns and other wounds.
- Hypotensive properties: its flavonoid content (especially anthocyanins), which gives it a great antioxidant effect, improving blood circulation and reducing capillary fragility.
- Diuretic properties: its contribution in potassium provides the ability to eliminate fluids accumulated in the body.
- Properties for the relief of respiratory problems: its anti-inflammatory power accompanied by its febrifuge and antibacterial effect helps to relieve some symptoms of respiratory diseases.
- Digestive properties: its content in different acids grant it a digestive and toning effect that helps relieve some stomach problems.
- Fat burning properties: its richness in flavonoids regulate the metabolism to increase the elimination of fat accumulated in different areas of the body. In addition, it also helps to reduce the size of adipocytes or fat cells.
What Jamaican Water Is For – Benefits
Due to the different properties that we have explained in the previous section, Jamaican water is a natural remedy that is used for different health problems. Below, we will list the different benefits and uses of hibiscus tea:
- It regulates blood pressure and prevents the occurrence of cardiovascular diseases.
- It reduces the levels of bad cholesterol by protecting the blood vessels and reducing the likelihood of suffering from heart disease.
- It improves liver functions and protects our liver from possible conditions due to its depurative podeer.
- It increases the defenses of our body thus strengthening the immune system.
- It relieves cough, fever and other symptoms of some respiratory diseases such as the flu, the common cold or bronchitis.
- It improves digestion and reduces some gastrointestinal problems such as gastritis, constipation and heartburn.
- Jamaican water for weight loss is also used as it speeds up metabolism and reduces glucose absorption.
- It is a good remedy for sleep as it calms the nervous system and reduces anxiety, giving you a feeling of relaxation.
- It relieves the pain and discomfort caused by menstruation due to its analgesic power.
- It accelerates the healing of skin problems and moisturizes our skin.
In this other article we tell you more about what are the benefits of the Jamaican flower.
How to Make Jamaican Water
Now that we know what this excellent natural remedy is for, then we will explain a recipe for Jamaican water so you can make it at home. You will only need the following amounts to make hibiscus tea:
- 4 cups Jamaican flowers
- 4 cups water
Jamaican Water Preparation
- First you will have to add 2 cups of water and 4 cups of Jamaican flowers to a pot and let them boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Once the time we have indicated has elapsed, you will have to add the remaining 2 cups of water to the same pot and let the mixture continue to boil in it for 10 more minutes. However, now you will have to go down to low heat so that the flowers give off both their flavor and their color in the water.
- Once the 10 minutes have passed, turn off the heat and let the mixture sit for a few minutes to cool.
- Now strain the liquid we have obtained to remove the remains of flowers and add it to a jar to take it whenever you want.
- Although it is optional, you can add some ice cubes to make Jamaica's water more refreshing.
How to Drink Hibiscus Tea or Jamaican Water
Finally, we tell you some guidelines on how to take the infusion of hibiscus or Jamaican flower water depending on what the goal is.
- If you want to use it to lose weight you will have to take 3-4 cups a day half an hour before the main meals.
- If Jamaican water is to relieve symptoms of respiratory diseases or digestive problems you can drink a couple of cups a day. However, in this case you will have to make the infusion with a tablespoon of the dried plant per glass of water.
- In the case of hypertension or cardiovascular diseases, consult your doctor before consuming this infusion.
- For bites, cuts, burns or other wounds you will have to wet a compress with the infusion and apply it to the affected skin area.