Lactose intolerance is more common than initially thought. In fact, many people are, although it is also true that they are not always aware of this and tend to think that dairy products simply feel bad or that they have a stomach problem. To alleviate this situation and make it possible to consume products with lactose, lactase tablets have been developed for some time.
However, although they work and help people who have this intolerance, it is not always good to use them.
What are lactase tablets used for?
Lactase tablets are tablets that are characterized by including lactase enzymes. This enzyme is generated by the body naturally to process lactose, although the body does not produce it by itself when a person has this intolerance, or it produces it in very small amounts.
In this way, the main function of lactase tablets in the body is to help digest lactose so that, with the intake of food, intolerance or any other adverse reaction does not occur. One reason why it is common for them to be recommended for people who have lactose intolerance so that they can eat products that contain it. And this is especially important because it is not only found in dairy products, but also in some sausages or precooked dishes.
Is it good or bad to take lactase pills? – here the answer
As always when talking about health, you cannot give a clear answer to the question of whether it is bad to take lactase pills. And it is that, in general, they are not bad and have been prescribed for many years in other countries, but they must be used with caution because they can also have side effects.
Also, it is important to know that not everyone should take them . In fact, they are only recommended for people who are truly lactose intolerant. For example, they should not be taken in these cases:
- Intolerant to milk protein : lactose is the natural sugar in milk, very different from the protein in said milk. For this reason, lactase tablets would not work in a person with milk protein intolerance.
- People allergic to lactose : allergy to lactose is caused by a series of antibodies to this sugar, not by the lack of production of the enzyme lactase. Therefore, lactase tablets would not only not work in this case, but would not be recommended at all, since if someone allergic to lactose consumes a dairy product after taking the lactase tablet, they would suffer from all the symptoms of lactose. allergy.
In this other article we talk about How to know if I have a lactose allergy .
Benefits of taking lactase pills
Once all of the above is clear, it can be affirmed that lactase tablets have a series of benefits for the lactose intolerant:
- Avoid other problems : when we stop consuming products with lactose, we also stop eating another series of nutrients. In this way, taking lactase pills in moderation is good to prevent people with this intolerance from having calcium, vitamin D, protein and riboflavin deficiencies due to having to follow a diet with foods that are not rich in these components.
- You can treat yourself : on the other hand, it makes it easier for lactose intolerant people to treat themselves to foods that, otherwise, it would not be convenient for them to take, such as dairy products or desserts that include them.
- You can eat away from home in peace : business dinners, birthdays… many of these situations can be a problem, especially if other people do not know what they can or cannot feed you. For this reason, taking lactase tablets in these cases can be very good to be able to eat whatever you want, wherever you want, in peace.
In any case, before you start taking lactase pills on your own, it is a good idea to talk to your GP or specialist.
You may also be interested in How to eat well without lactose .
Side Effects of Lactase Pills
However, do not forget that lactose pills can also have a series of side effects, such as:
- abdominal swelling
- Allergies to the medication due to having consumed more than the recommended dose
- Symptoms of lactose intolerance from taking a lower dose than necessary.
In any case, we always recommend that you consult your doctor to find out the most appropriate dose and if lactase tablets are the best solution for you because it is not the only remedy for lactose intolerance.
You may also be interested in What are the symptoms of food intolerances .
Precautions for taking lactase pills
To take lactase pills, it is always good to take a series of precautions and follow some tips so that there are no problems. As we have already mentioned before, the key is to be sure that you have lactose intolerance. Remembering this, it should also be clear that :
- The effect of lactase tablets is limited for a certain amount of lactose.
- It is important to know the appropriate dose, which will depend on the relationship between the level of intolerance of each person and the amount of lactose ingested at each meal.
- The proper dose of lactase pills is personalized. In fact, each person usually has to find their own dose through trial and error tests. It may be helpful to always have a laboratory equivalence table at hand or to know the grams of lactose in the food you are going to eat, but these are indicative data.
- The lactase pill has to be taken just before consuming foods with lactose.