Do you know chia and its health properties? For those who still do not know chia (also known scientifically as Salvia hispanica L) is a herbaceous plant of the Lamiaceae family that is cultivated mainly in different regions of Central America to later extract its seeds. These fruits have become very popular in the population of various countries due to their great nutritional richness ; in fact, it is one of the richest foods in omega 3 fatty acids.
Thanks to its composition, chia seeds are currently used both for the preparation of natural remedies and as a complement to different diets, especially those that are focused on losing weight.
Can you drink chia at night? – Is it good or not?
As we have already anticipated, chia seeds are used as a basic food and as an ingredient for different natural remedies due to their nutritional richness, especially in fatty acids. However, if you are thinking of including chia in your diet, it is normal for you to wonder when it is best to consume it. Among these questions we find the question: Is drinking chia at night good?
The answer is yes, chia can be taken before bed or even during dinner . In fact, chia seeds may offer the following benefits if taken overnight:
- Chia seeds have a good supply of antioxidant substances, which are easier to absorb when we sleep (that is, at night).
- If you are following a diet to lose weight, it will also benefit you to take them at night: on the one hand, they will provide you with a satiating effect that will help you calm your hunger before going to sleep. On the other hand, its contribution in some minerals will help you avoid lack of energy during this type of diet.
- Another benefit of drinking chia before bed is that it will help you regulate your intestinal transit and avoid problems such as constipation.
- Finally, drinking chia at night is good, since its anti-inflammatory power will help you relieve muscle tension and, therefore, have a more restful sleep.
We have already seen that chia can not only be taken before going to sleep, but also offers you some benefits during the night. However, chia seeds are a food that you can include at any time of the day, since in addition to being rich in omega 3 fatty acids, they are also made up of other nutrients such as soluble fiber (or mucilage), proteins, vitamins (A , B, C and E), minerals (calcium, magnesium and zinc), acids and flavonoids. Due to this, chia has the following health properties:
- Cardiovascular properties : its richness in fatty acids and antioxidants improve the health of our heart and the walls of our blood vessels. In addition, its richness in fiber reduces cholesterol levels and the risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension.
- Digestive properties : its high mucilage content improves the intestinal flora and prevents some gastrointestinal problems such as constipation, diarrhea and heartburn. This is due to the gel it forms upon entering the stomach. If you want to discover how to improve digestion , don't miss this other article from.
- Hepatic properties : its richness in fatty acids and soluble fiber help eliminate the accumulation of fats and toxins to prevent the formation of toxic substances that harm the liver and intestine. Also, due to these nutrients, chia is a useful remedy for cases of fatty liver .
- Hypoglycemic properties : again due to its contribution in omega 3 and soluble fiber, chia forms a gel that stops the sugars in food, causing slower absorption. In this way, it prevents some problems due to excess sugar such as poor circulation and diabetic foot.
- Respiratory properties : its contribution in mucilages manage to soften the throat, thus relieving some symptoms such as the cough that is usually present in common colds.
Properties of chia to lose weight
In addition to the above benefits, chia seeds are a perfect complement to low-calorie diets (as long as they are accompanied by exercise and a good diet), since they have the following weight-loss properties:
- Fat- burning properties : due to its richness in proteins and other nutrients, chia helps to speed up our metabolism in order to increase the elimination of accumulated fat in different parts of our body.
- Satiating properties : as we indicated in the previous section, the mucilage content of these seeds gives them a powerful satiating effect that reduces our appetite and therefore helps us eat less.
- Antioxidant properties : its flavonoid content prevents fats from re-forming and accumulating in the body. In addition, these properties help prevent other problems that often arise as a result of gaining weight, such as cellulite and orange peel skin.
If you want to discover in more detail how to lose weight with chia seeds , we will reveal it to you in this article.
How to consume chia at night
Although there are different recipes with chia seeds to lose weight , here we propose one that you can consume at night to help you in your goal of losing weight. You will only need the following ingredients:
- 30 grams of chia seeds
- 1 liter of water
- 2 lemons
Preparation and treatment:
- First of all, you will have to soak the chia seeds in a container for a couple of hours to soften them.
- Meanwhile, you can cut two lemons and squeeze them in another container to get the juice inside.
- Once you notice that the seeds are soft and form a kind of gel, add the juice of the two lemons and stir the ingredients so that they are well integrated. Do not remove the chia seeds from the water, as this way you will better preserve their properties.
- Finally, let the mixture rest for 10 minutes and then add a tablespoon of stevia or honey, if you want to sweeten your recipe a little.