Some women have an irregular cycle in their menstruation and this leads to a lot of doubts. Most women's cycles range from 25 to 36 days. If your cycle is shortened or lengthened, or varies each time and you get to have 4 days of difference compared to the last cycle, then you have an irregular cycle. One of the most frequent doubts in this situation is whether you can get pregnant as easily as if you have a regular cycle. If this happens to you and you want to know more about this topic, this is the article you are looking for because in we bring you the answer to your question about “if I am irregular can I get pregnant easily?”, so we recommend that you continue reading.
If I am irregular, can I get pregnant easily? – the answer
The answer to the question if you can get pregnant having irregular cycles is yes, but not as easily as having regular cycles. There are difficulties when it comes to an attempted pregnancy on these occasions, which we explain below.
One of them is that sometimes ovulation does not occur when there are irregularities in the cycle. Faced with this, you should go to a doctor who will look for where the problem comes from and give you some treatment to regulate it. Most of the time the problem is solved after this, but if not, the doctor will resort to other solutions, the most frequent assisted fertilization.
Another problem that arises is that you will not know that you are pregnant with a simple delay in your period, since it could only be a normal delay present in women with irregular cycles and you will have to resort to safer tests such as tests and pregnancy symptoms.
A drawback when it comes to wanting a pregnancy, or wanting to avoid it, is that you will not know how to calculate your cycle and, therefore, you will not know what your most fertile days are. For this you will have to look at other symptoms such as the change in vaginal discharge, basal temperature, and pains in the abdomen and breasts.
It is recommended that the pregnancy attempt is done naturally for a year, but if after this you have not achieved a pregnancy, you will have to go to a gynecologist to give you the guidelines and achieve it with the help of assisted fertilization.
Also, keep in mind that the fact that it is more difficult to get pregnant if you are irregular does not mean that you cannot stay in a state of gestation. Some women believe that because it is more complicated to achieve pregnancy so they can be calmer and not protect themselves so much against unwanted pregnancies and this is a mistake, it is not a contraceptive method.
How to calculate fertile days in an irregular menstrual cycle
As we've mentioned before, there are a number of changes in your body that you can detect and use to keep track of your ovulation as effectively as possible, especially your most fertile days. In this section we explain how you can calculate the fertile days if you are irregular:
- Keep a calendar with your cycle. Even if you are irregular, aim when the period arrives and when you leave to keep track and find a pattern.
- Vaginal discharge. It changes color and texture when you're ovulating. During the first days after the period this flow will be transparent, but with the arrival of ovulation it will become more whitish, sticky and abundant.
- Basal temperature. Take your temperature and you will see that an increase occurs as ovulation approaches.
We tell you more about this topic in this other article on How to Calculate My Fertile Days.
Ovulation test and fertility monitors
If for whatever reason you do not have time or do not want to keep a manual control of your cycle by performing the guidelines explained above, there are the so-called ovulation tests that allow you to predict when you are going to ovulate. The function of this test is to detect the production of luteinizing hormone (LH) the function of which is to produce the ovarian follicle to expel the egg, which marks the beginning of ovulation.
There are different ovulation tests but the easiest and fastest is the digital test. This test will be performed every day at the same time, advisably after the meal, which is when LH levels are most detectable in the urine. Anyway, consult with your doctor or gynecologist and he will give you the guidelines to use the fertility test or monitor that best suit you.
How to Get Pregnant Easily If You're Irregular
The reality is that there are a number of guidelines to follow to increase the possibility of getting pregnant with irregular cycles, but they never guarantee success since it depends on the body and metabolism of each woman. Some will have more ease and others less. However, we tell you if you want to try it, since it is claimed that it helps regulate cycles, facilitating fertilization, among other advantages.
- Not controlling your weight can be a cause so you have irregular cycles, so it is best to monitor it, to have a weight as normal as possible, that is, a weight appropriate to your body. If you have thought about making a diet for this, consult with your doctor before to give you the necessary guidelines.
- Do not smoke or use alcohol and drugs.
- Exercising helps improve your fertility. When doing it, it is important that it is moderate, since if you exceed it, you could conclude in a result contrary to the one you are looking for.
- Take foods, vitamins, and nutritional supplements intended for women with this problem, as they increase fertility and/or help regulate the cycle.
- If you really want to get pregnant it is recommended that you have sex every other day between your periods, as it is effective in increasing the chances of conceiving.
- If you think you are stressed or have anxiety, try to do relaxation exercises and lead a life as quiet as possible, since anxiety and stress is one of the most frequent causes of having irregular cycles.
Now that you have a little more information about this topic, we encourage you to apply everything described to achieve your goal! In addition, you can check here more Tricks to get pregnant.