The bran are the outer layers of the wheat cereal, extracted after the refining of each grain. Although many think that these layers are just waste, they contain multiple medicinal properties and excellent nutrients for constipation and weight loss.
For this reason, wheat bran has become an ideal complement to a healthy diet.
Wheat bran: properties and benefits
The main reason why wheat bran is considered a highly healthy product, and not a waste from wheat cultivation, is its natural properties and the benefits they provide to the body.
Thanks to them, wheat bran is recommended by nutrition specialists for overweight people with stomach problems. If you have ever wondered what wheat bran is for , here we show you its main properties and benefits.
Properties of wheat bran
The layers that surround the wheat are composed of cellulose, polysaccharides, fats, minerals and proteins. Its nutritional value gives it the following properties:
- Its composition is rich in insoluble fibers that are easy to digest for the digestive system.
- It is rich in vitamin K and B vitamins, necessary for healthy blood, brain and bones.
- It contains unsaturated fatty acids that help promote good cholesterol in the human body.
- It is rich in phosphorus, iron and antioxidants to purify and strengthen the immune system.
Benefits of wheat bran
Thanks to its properties, we can take advantage of the following benefits of wheat bran :
- Its fibers optimize digestion, helping to mitigate constipation. In addition, they prevent the weakening of the colon walls and diseases such as hemorrhoids.
- Likewise, the fibers and minerals of wheat bran regulate appetite, generating satiety in our body. Therefore, it is an ideal complement to lose weight.
- Being rich in iron and phosphorus, it provides energy and vitality to people who perform high-intensity physical exercise. Similarly, its vitamins reduce the risk of anemia.
- The B complex vitamins contained in wheat bran mitigate stress and help fight migraine and depression.
- Thanks to its antioxidant properties, it helps prevent irregular cell formations that lead to carcinogenic conditions. Also, the bran protects the circulatory system, reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Wheat bran works as a healing agent, since its fibers favor cell rejuvenation. Therefore, it is also effective in curbing the appearance of wrinkles.
How to take wheat bran
You can buy wheat bran at any trusted supermarket or herbalist. It usually comes in sachets, so be sure to check its issue date to get fresh bran. In the same way, check its description and check that, really, the product is 100% natural and without chemical additives.
You can also consume wheat bran in whole wheat flour. If you substitute refined corn flour for wheat flour, you will be able to acquire a greater amount of fiber daily.
The best way to take wheat bran is as an accompaniment to your meals, mainly at breakfast, as this will purify your body more. Later we leave you some recipes with wheat bran so you can learn how to take it.
As well as wheat bran, many people incorporate wheat germ into their diet, as it is the most nutritious part of the grain. Discover what are the benefits of wheat germ by clicking the link.
A fruit and wheat smoothie is a perfect breakfast to start the day with all the energy you need. Likewise, you can also take it mid-morning. To prepare this delicious wheat bran smoothie you will need:
- 2 pears
- 1 red apple
- 2 tbsp wheat bran
- 2 tbsp of honey
- 100ml orange juice
After gathering the ingredients, follow these simple steps:
- Cut the pears and the apple into pieces.
- Add the chopped fruit to the blender.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of wheat bran and the honey.
- Add the 100ml of water and blend for 15 seconds. You can add some ice cubes to serve it cold.
Crackers with wheat bran
Do you want to use wheat bran for constipation ? This ingredient is an excellent complement to prepare delicious and nutritious whole grain crackers, perfect for facilitating digestion! With these ingredients you can prepare them:
- 125g softened butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 2 eggs
- 125g flour
- 25 g of wheat bran
- 1 tsp baking powder
Now, follow these simple steps to make it:
- Place the fine wheat bran, flour and salt in a bowl. Mix all ingredients well.
- Add the sugar and butter. Stir and crumble the ingredients with your fingers until they form a sandy mixture.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Add them to the mixture and knead to form a ball.
- Divide the bun in two. Stretch them with your fingers on a cookie sheet previously buttered or floured.
- Cut the cookies into 18 circles. Then prick them with a fork.
- Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
- You take the cookies to the oven for 15 minutes at 220 ºC.
- Remove from oven.
- Let them cool before serving.
Vegetable soup with wheat bran
If you need wheat bran to lose weight , this is also perfect for lunch. In this case, vegetable soup is your best option, since this way you will get more fiber and vitamins. These are the ingredients you need to prepare this delicious recipe with wheat bran:
- 20 grams of wholemeal noodles
- 2 tablespoons of wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 200 g of pumpkin with its peel, well washed
- 1/2 eggplant
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped, seeded
- 2 tablespoons of chicken broth
- 1 liter of water
- 3 eggs
- chopped chives
- Mint leaves
Now, to prepare this delicious soup, follow these instructions:
- Put the chopped vegetables (carrot, onion, eggplant, pumpkin and green pepper) in a saucepan with a non-stick bottom and add the sesame oil. Stir until the vegetables are well soaked.
- Cook the vegetables over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and the liter of water.
- Stir well and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When it starts to boil, lower the heat to medium to add the eggs, the wheat bran and the mint.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring every 3 minutes so that the eggs set.
- Add the noodles and chopped chives. Stir continuously and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, let rest and serve.
Wheat bran water
Wheat bran water is one of the easiest and most effective ways to take wheat bran. Just soak a couple of tablespoons of wheat bran in a liter of water for half an hour. Drink the water throughout the day to stay hydrated and purify your body. If you wish, you can add honey to improve its flavor.
You can also add wheat bran to other recipes that you use daily such as fruit smoothies, brownies, chocolate balls, porridge, among others.
In addition to wheat bran, there are also bran from other types of cereals. One of the most popular is oat bran, commonly used to regulate cholesterol and treat hemorrhoids. In our article Wheat or oat bran: which is better? , we compare the properties and benefits of both so you know which one is better for your body.
Does wheat bran make you fat?
Wheat bran is ideal for weight loss, as it helps the body burn calories and toxins more quickly. Although it is rich in carbohydrates, wheat bran is not fattening. On the contrary, its fibers favor the absorption of nutrients to eliminate bad cholesterol and control blood glucose levels.
Thanks to its properties, wheat bran produces a feeling of satiety. That is why it is ideal for losing weight and a great ally in any healthy diet.
If you want to know more foods to lose weight, be sure to visit our article The best foods to lose weight .
How much wheat bran should I take?
Every 100 g of wheat bran contains approximately 216 calories . You can take it as a companion for breakfast or lunch, but one or two tablespoons a day will be enough to not exceed the daily dose of carbohydrates that your body needs.
Nutritionists recommend consuming a maximum of 25 grams of fiber daily , and a minimum of 12 g. Similarly, remember to hydrate well when you consume fiber, as you will facilitate its purifying action and the burning of calories.