Albendazole is a medicine whose use is indicated against infestations by intestinal parasites, tissues and, above all, for giardiasis in children. It is important to know the symptoms that may appear when these parasites are present in order to treat and eliminate them as soon as possible. Your body has an abundant microbiota and although it is prepared to prevent the entry of these organisms, a high consumption of sugars, dairy products, refined products or poor hygiene can produce the perfect habitat for these parasites to proliferate.
What is albendazole and what is it for?
It is a drug from the benzimidazole family with great capacity as a broad-spectrum antiparasitic , which can be used against nematodes, cestodes and some trematodes. Its effect as an anthelmintic occurs by preventing the growth of the larvae until they cause their death.
It is used to treat and kill a wide variety of intestinal or tissue parasite infestations , such as hookworm, ascariasis, giardiasis and strongyloidiasis. However, it must be taken into account that albendazole only kills the adult worms and prevents the larvae from growing, but it does not kill the eggs, so hygiene and feeding measures will be necessary, which we will explain later, to prevent the reproduction of these parasites.
How to take albendazole for purging – dosage
Albendazole is usually found in oral solutions, such as syrups, or in pills or tablets , which you can swallow by chewing or with water in doses of 200 mg and 400 mg . Taking this drug together with fatty foods increases its bioavailability and the dose to be ingested will depend on the parasite to be treated. As soon as the parasitic problem is known, the doctor will start the appropriate treatment and will indicate the dose you should take.
This medicine can be given to adults and children, although the dose varies according to weight.
Is albendazole taken on an empty stomach?
Albendazole can be aggressive for the stomach, especially if it is taken long-term or in larger amounts than appropriate, so it is always recommended to consult a doctor so that he can tell you how to take it in your case.
This medicine can be taken at any time of the day, but it is recommended to take it with food as it is aggressive for the stomach and can cause diarrhoea, vomiting or abdominal pain if not taken properly. In fact, if it is ingested with meals, its absorption is favored. Therefore, it is not advisable to take albendazole on an empty stomach .
How do I know if I have intestinal parasites?
Intestinal parasites are a problem that can greatly affect your daily routine, it is also necessary to know the symptoms that may indicate this problem since some of us do not easily relate them to it. The symptoms of intestinal parasites in people are the following:
- A very common symptom is digestive disorders, such as diarrhea, vomiting, gas and abdominal swelling.
- Intestinal parasites can cause stress in your body and even if you don't realize it, they can cause nervousness, irritability and anxiety.
- They cause alterations in appetite, so it may happen that you are excessively hungry or, on the contrary, you feel unappetite without knowing the cause. This in turn can lead to weight gain or loss.
- Itching, especially in the anal and perianal area, may also indicate this type of problem.
- Fatigue can also be a warning sign of intestinal parasites.
In these other articles we explain more about What are the symptoms of intestinal worms and about How to know if my child has worms.
How to eliminate intestinal parasites quickly
The treatment for intestinal parasites is usually the use of antiparasitics prescribed by the doctor , such as albendazole, among others. In addition to this, it will be necessary to apply hygiene measures and a proper diet. So how can I get rid of intestinal parasites fast? You just have to follow these tips to eliminate the infestation of intestinal parasites :
- Go to the doctor to properly diagnose the problem to be treated and prescribe albendazole or another antiparasitic.
- Wash clothes and sheets twice a week.
- Wash your hands frequently, especially before cooking and after going to the bathroom.
- Don't share toothbrushes or towels.
- Thoroughly clean the bathroom, bedrooms, and kitchen at least once a week.
- Do not put your fingers in your mouth and avoid biting your nails, in addition to keeping them short.
- Reduce or eliminate fatty dairy, alcohol, and sugar. You can replace them with healthy and fresh foods, as well as with fermented products such as natural skimmed yogurt and without added sugars.
- To speed up the evacuation process of the parasites and prevent them from reproducing, you can eat ground pumpkin seeds, garlic, ginger, low-fructose fruits, such as oranges, pears, etc.
As you can see, it is not enough to take albendazole to eliminate intestinal parasites , since the medications indicated to end this problem, normally, only kill the adult worms and not the eggs, so it is very important to carry out all the advice indicated above in order to prevent them from reproducing and being transmitted to other members of the family.