Surely, when someone hears the name of Vicks Vaporub comes to mind that cream with a strong mint smell that was applied to the chest by his parents or other family members, because it served to relieve nasal congestion caused by a cold or flu. However, did you know that this medicinal product can also be used to relieve other types of conditions such as headaches?
It is a topical drug that is used to reduce different symptoms caused by flu and cold processes. But it can also be a very effective home remedy for other health problems such as headaches due to its different health properties. That is why, in the following article of, we explain how to remove the headache with Vicks Vaporub. Read!
Why Vicks Vaporub is used to relieve headaches
Vicks Vaporub is a pharmacological product that is used topically to mainly relieve the symptoms of colds such as cough, nasal congestion and muscle aches. This cream is composed mainly of a base of petrolate or, what is the same, petroleum jelly due to the texture and moisturizing properties of the substance, and oils such as menthol, eucalyptus and camphor for their aromatic and refreshing properties that help decongest the nose.
However, the ingredients of this medicinal ointment contain other types of properties that are very useful to remove annoying headaches. Next, we explain why Vicks Vaporub is an effective remedy for cases of headaches:
- Its composition in menthol or peppermint oil provides this cream with powerful vasodilator properties that help reduce blood pressure and relax blood flow. As a consequence, Vicks vaporub reduces both headaches and other symptoms related to this problem, such as palpitations and dizziness.
- The combination of different aromatic oils make this drug have powerful analgesic properties. Thanks to this effect we manage to both calm and prevent tension and pains located in the head.
- Another very common cause of the appearance of headaches is the stress that we accumulate day after day. The aroma granted by menthol and eucalyptus contains relaxing properties that help release that daily nervousness and therefore helps prevent headaches.
- Finally, its composition in eucalyptus and camphor gives Vicks Vaporub an anti-inflammatory and very relaxing effect, very similar to that of prescription drugs for chronic headaches and migraines.
How to remove headaches and headaches with Vicks Vaporub
When we intend to attenuate the symptoms of any cold, Vicks Vaporub is usually applied to areas such as the chest, neck and / or back. In the case of using Vicks Vaporub to remove headaches, you can apply it in two different ways that we will explain below through a simple step by step:
- Smear your fingers with the Vicks Vaporub and apply the product to your temples or the front of your head, depending on where you notice the swelling or pain. in the case that it is behind you can apply it on the temples and the nape of the neck.
- To make it more effective, massage the area where you have applied the product. To do this, you must press the affected area for 5-10 seconds with your fingers and then make gentle circular movements. Perform this massage for 2-3 minutes.
- When you have performed the massage, let the product act for a few more minutes on the head and then remove it with cold water.
Steam bath with Vicks Vaporub
- Heat half a liter of water in a saucepan without boiling.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Vicks Vaporub to the hot water and stir the mixture so that everything is well integrated.
- Put the mixture back on the fire until it boils and begins to release steam.
- At that time, cover yourself with a towel and inhale the steam that releases the mixture for a few minutes.
- In a few seconds, you will begin to be more relaxed and, as a consequence, notice fewer headaches.
Other home remedies to remove headache
In addition to Vicks Vaporub, there are also other natural and inexpensive remedies that can help you feel less discomfort in the head area. Below, we show you the best home remedies to remove the headache:
- Chamomile infusion: contains excellent anti-inflammatory properties ideal for relieving the symptoms of headaches. You just have to make an infusion with this medicinal plant, let it cool and apply it on the forehead with the help of a compressor gauze.
- Apple cider vinegar: It is a powerful natural analgesic that has an effect similar to that of medicines such as Ibuprofen. To use this remedy, mix a tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of water and take it. Although the taste may be unpleasant, the pain will begin to go away in a matter of a few minutes.
- Ginger infusion: This plant is also an effective remedy against headaches due to its potent anti-inflammatory properties. To do this, mix two slices of ginger root in a cup of boiled water and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then strain the drink and drink it when you notice this tension in your head.