Surely, it has ever happened to you that, after eating a very hot or acidic food such as pineapple, your tongue burns and after a while you are numb. Although this does not usually lead to serious health problems, it is very unpleasant, since the tongue bothers you and the food does not taste like anything.
In those moments, it is very possible that you are wondering how to remove the scalding of the tongue quickly , so we bring you the best known and most effective home remedies to relieve this discomfort, remove the burning in the tongue and help you heal as much as possible. Fast possible.
Why is the tongue scalded?
Do you wonder why your tongue feels scalded? There are many reasons that cause tongue scalding, but they can be summed up in two main blocks: the reaction of this organ to certain sudden external factors, and recurrent or chronic health problems. In medical language, these situations are known as primary burning mouth syndrome and secondary burning mouth syndrome. In this case, we will refer exclusively to when these conditions affect the tongue.
Primary burning mouth syndrome is caused by damage to the nerves that control pain and taste. This syndrome is not associated with diseases and generally arises suddenly as a result of an accident or bad practice. The two most common causes are:
- Irritation: it can be caused by any food, medicine or oral hygiene product consumed in large quantity or incorrectly. For example, brushing your tongue too hard or too many times, using a very abrasive toothpaste or rinse, eating a lot of pineapple or spicy food, etc.
- Burn : usually occurs, if you consume a very hot food (drinks or food). These injuries can be mild (first degree burn) or much more severe (second and third degree burn). In the first case, you can treat yourself at home, but in the second, you need to go to the doctor immediately, and before leaving, you can apply first aid.
Secondary burning mouth syndrome refers to health conditions that describe a constant or very recurrent burning in any area of the mouth. The cause of this syndrome is not yet clear, but it is suspected that it is related to some of the following aspects:
- Problems with salivary gland function.
- Side effects of cancer treatments.
- Oral problems (infections or other types of conditions).
- Nutritional deficiencies.
- Allergies or reactions to certain products (medicines, food or hygiene products).
- Gastric reflux.
- Endocrine disorders.
- Psychological factors.
- Use of dentures.
- Hormonal imbalances.
- Oral habits (for example, biting the tip of the tongue).
If you suffer from a constant burning tongue sensation, we recommend that you visit your GP to understand the reasons for your condition.
If you have burned your tongue after consuming a very hot food or have suffered a similar accident, you can relieve the pain and heal faster with the home remedies for a burned tongue that we bring you below. Keep in mind that these remedies only apply to minor tongue burns, if you have suffered serious accidents you should see a doctor as soon as possible.
The cold helps to reduce the inflammation of the scalded tongue and also relieves the pain. This method will serve you both for irritation and for minor burns of the tongue (if they are severe, use better water, and apply it only as primary care before going to the doctor). With that said, follow these directions:
- Fill a glass with very cold water or milk. If you don't have milk in the fridge, add ice to cool it down quickly. Use water instead of milk if the burn is severe.
- Rinse with cold water or milk. Make swishes and keep them 10 minutes. Repeat the remedy every 30 minutes to 1 hour until you feel relief.
- Avoid applying ice directly to the area, because it can worsen the situation (ice burns cold).
There are many benefits of honey , but in this case it is important to know that honey is a very effective natural healing agent, in addition, it also works as a bactericide and anti-inflammatory. If you use it to cure a scalded tongue, do it like this:
- Place 1 tablespoon of natural honey on the tongue and spread it over the affected area.
- Leave it there until it dissolves. She waits as long as you can, before swallowing it.
- Repeat the operation every half hour or an hour until the injury improves.
Papaya contains enzymes that not only facilitate digestion, but also help burnt skin, soothing and regenerating it. To use it as one of the scalded tongue remedies, just follow these 2 steps:
- Apply it as a puree on the affected area or simply chew it well and leave it on your tongue.
- Wait until it dissolves or you swallow it.
- Repeat the treatment until you feel improvement.
Chamomile infusion has bactericidal and anti-inflammatory power, so it is an excellent natural remedy to improve burns on the tongue. To relieve a scalded tongue with chamomile tea, just follow these directions:
- Immerse two sachets of chamomile tea in a cup of boiling water.
- Refrigerate the infusion in the fridge , until it cools as much as possible.
- Once cool, place one of the tea bags on the injury . Leave it for a while or as long as you can.
- Alternate the bags and repeat the process for 15 minutes.
Chamomile is one of the most used plants in health treatments, discover why in What are the medicinal properties of chamomile .
Milk or yogurt
The fatty and lactic acids in both milk and yogurt have soothing properties that soothe wounds. Therefore, if you are wondering what to wear if you have a scalded tongue , these two products can be your great allies. Follow any of these options to apply this home remedy:
- Rinse your mouth with a glass of cold milk. Keep a few minutes each crop.
- Apply 1 tablespoon of yogurt on the injury. It will be even more effective if you mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey. Leave for 10 minutes.
- In both cases, if you don't feel relief, repeat the treatment after 30 minutes.
- This remedy is not advisable in cases of severe burns .
Aloe vera or aloe vera is a medicinal plant that has anti-inflammatory, soothing and regenerative properties that are especially beneficial for the skin. For this reason, it is ideal for curing a scalded tongue and with a few steps you can feel relief from the irritation:
- Open an aloe vera leaf and take out the gel.
- Spread it directly on the tongue.
- Hold it there, for a few minutes. Despite the bitter taste of it, you will feel almost instant relief.
- Rinse your tongue and do not swallow the gel.
- Repeat this treatment until you feel better.
If it is the first time that you open an aloe stalk, here we will tell you how to cut the leaves of aloe see a.
Sugar is an effective healing and bactericide. So if you have a scalded tongue, you will find instant relief with this home remedy, just put the following instructions into practice:
- Sprinkle a little sugar on the lesion (1 tablespoon).
- Press your tongue against the palate until the sugar dissolves.
- Repeat the treatment every 30 minutes to 1 hour until you feel relief.
Water with salt
Salt water has a healing effect. So if you're wondering how to remove scald from your tongue, with this method, simply add 1 teaspoon of salt to a glass of water and rinse your mouth.
Physiological serum is used to clean superficial wounds or burns, as well as for the treatment of periodontal disease and surgical treatments related to the gums. Therefore, it is very effective to use it in the mouth and on the tongue to treat minor burns.
If you use saline to soothe a scalded tongue, rinse your mouth with a glass of saline. Wait 30 minutes and repeat the process until you feel relief on your tongue.
Vinegar contains acetic acid, which helps relieve irritation caused by burns on the tongue. So if you need to relieve a scalded tongue, this remedy will help you.
Just mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or regular vinegar in a glass of water, you can also add 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Rinse your mouth with the mixture.
Tips to relieve a scalded tongue faster
The sensation of a burned tongue can be very unpleasant and, although it does not last for a long time (around 3-6 days) , it is normal that we want to remove it as soon as possible to enjoy food without discomfort. Although all these natural remedies will help you, it is important that you take these tips into account so as not to worsen the irritability of the skin:
- Do not drink alcohol or tobacco, as they increase irritation on the tongue.
- Eliminate acidic, spicy or very hot foods.
- Do not eat crunchy foods, as they can scratch your tongue (nuts, chips, among others).
- Eat cold and easy-to-digest food (infusions, creams, yogurt, juices, gazpacho, non-citrus fruits, mousse, and gelatin, among others).
If you want to know more tips and tricks to get rid of tongue irritation, feel free to visit our Home Remedies for Burnt Tongue article.