Fleas are very small insects whose movement they make by moving through the hair of their hosts and jumping from one animal to another (or from one human to another). These parasites feed exclusively on the blood of dogs and cats, but sometimes choose to feed on the blood of humans and warm-blooded animals such as cattle, pigs, sheep, etc.
Do you have pets in your house? do they scratch a lot and you are starting to have the same symptoms? It's time for you to find a solution. In the following article we explain how to eliminate fleas in humans so that you are up to date with all the practical and effective tips you should know. Let's go there.
How to eliminate fleas in humans and avoid their bites
There are different insects that can attack humans and whose bites are very similar. That is, if you were bitten by a mosquito, a flea or a bedbug, you could easily confuse each of the bites, because they are not so different. Flea bite in humans produces small red dots with holes in the center of the bite, in addition to intense itching in the affected area.
Flea bite does not hurt right after it occurs, however, if the person in question scratches due to itching, this wound can prove painful. Knowing this, it is normal to wonder how to eliminate fleas in humans and animals, so before talking about some of the most effective methods that exist, we discover some prevention measures that will help you fight these insects.
- Keep an eye on your pets: If there are pets in the home, you should constantly monitor that they are not infected. To avoid any contamination in animals, you should bathe them with products that prevent flea infection, examine and comb them with some constancy. If you do not see yourself able to apply this measure on your own, you should take them to a veterinary center or hairdresser to carry out the necessary process.
- Disinfect your clothes: If you have attended farms or centers where there are warm-blooded animals exposed (or any other place where you can contaminate yourself with these insects), you should make sure to shake your clothes very well before entering the house and washing them quickly. Take a deep bath to remove possible fleas from your body.
- Fumigate your house: If you have dogs or cats at home, you should periodically fumigate it with products that prevent contamination with fleas. These insects can be lodged anywhere, mainly in carpets, upholstery and curtains.
- Do a thorough cleaning: to perform the cleaning at home it is recommended that you make use of the vacuum cleaner, because this way you can eliminate eggs and larvae, food, dust and other elements that could improve the development of these insects. You should attack the dark areas of the home and those rooms where pets sleep. In addition, we recommend that you vacuum the carpets and upholstery constantly; spraying them with insecticide, for example, will help you get better results.
- Wash your sheets often: It is also advisable that you periodically wash your sheets, curtains and oversized garments with hot water and insecticides.
How to remove fleas on human hair
As we have said, fleas are insects that move through the hair and are able to jump up to 15 meters high. This makes it possible for these parasites to glide through human hair with some speed (whether it's through arm hair, leg hair, head hair, etc.) Do you want to figure out how to get rid of fleas in human hair? We propose a simple step by step:
- First, you should avoid scratching. We know it's complicated, but if you rubbed your skin, you could make the bite hurt or even get infected.
- Buy a cream with cortisone, a calamine lotion or get a flea repellent for humans from the pharmacy. Apply the cream wherever you see the bites, either on the body or on the scalp (keep in mind that you will have to buy different lotions if it is for the hair than if it is for the body).
- If you think fleas may be on the hair on your head, take a lice comb and proceed to run it through each section of hair.
- Afterwards, take your daily shampoo and add 4 drops of tea tree oil. This oil has incredible properties that will help you to carry out a good control of pests. Leave the mixture in your hair for about 5 minutes and then rinse with plenty of water.
- Take the comb again and mix it in the mixture you have made with tea tree oil. Brush your hair again to remove fleas completely.
- If fleas are lodged in your body, a deep bath and applying the same oil on the liquid body soap will suffice. Let the mixture act for 5 minutes, then rinse your body with plenty of water.
If you want more information about the Properties and benefits of tea tree oil for hair, do not miss this other article from.
Flea repellents for people – homemade and effective
Apart from the products you find in specialized sites for the elimination of pests, you can also manufacture your own homemade and effective flea repellents. Among the most effective formulas are:
Citrus concentrate with lemon
The strong smell of lemon is detested by fleas, which is why it is a perfect repellent. If you want this home remedy to work, you will only have to fill a bottle with lemon juice dispenser and spray abundant concentrate in the surroundings of the house: on furniture, curtains, carpets, pets, etc. If you plan to enter stables or livestock centers, we recommend spraying yourself with this preparation before entering, so you can fight any flea infection.
Once again, we come across a smell and taste that are very unpleasant for fleas. If you are thinking of entering somewhere where there is a possible pest or these insects have already entered your home, you will only have to take a clean cloth and impregnate it with this preparation. Then, rub it gently on the most sensitive parts of your body (especially those where you've already been stung). This flea repellent is highly effective and very easy to find, because if you ask for a flea repellent for humans in the pharmacy, you will see that many contain brewer's yeast.
Spray the eucalyptus oil lotion on your uncovered skin to repel fleas and you will see how they do not even approach your body. Do the same with your pets; place a few drops of this oil in the water with which you are going to bathe them and proceed to wash them as you usually do.
This plant is an excellent flea repellent. To make it properly, you will only have to put several pennyroyal sheets to boil in a saucepan of water and, subsequently, pour the liquid into a bottle with sprayer. Spray all parts of the house where you think there are fleas as well as your pets and your body.
These are some of the best home remedies for fleas that you will find, however, you should know that the flea repellents for pets that you will see in the pharmacy are also very effective and comfortable, because you will find them in pills, collars, spray, drops, shampoos, etc. On the other hand, flea repellent for humans from pharmacies is available in the form of ointments or creams, sprays and sprays.
If you want to discover more home remedies against fleas, take a look at this article from.
Flea bites: how to remove them
Flea bites can provoke in animals and humans many pathologies and even diseases. To identify a flea bite, you will only have to look at how they appear on your skin, as fleas usually bite several times at once and in a straight line. These are the symptoms that accompany flea bites:
- Intense itching in the affected area.
- Redness and skin irritations.
- Allergic reactions around the bite or sting.
- Scabs on the skin.
- Hair loss in both animal and human.
- In extreme cases, skin infections and high fever.
Generally, and after two days, the discomfort from the flea bite usually disappears. However, to avoid or reduce the discomfort caused by these wounds, we will give you some effective and easy tips:
- When detecting flea bite on the skin, avoid scratching, as this would increase skin redness and swelling. Place cold compresses over the bites to decrease the itchy sensation.
- If the bites bother you a lot, you should go to the doctor immediately to prescribe an antihistamine that decreases the itching. Avoid self-medicating.
- Finally, rub the affected skin with some creams containing calamine to decrease itching. You can also go to the pharmacy and ask for some cream with cortisone so that
How long the flea bite lasts
The duration of a flea bite will depend on each person and how they react to the wound. Normally, the discomfort of flea bite subsides in a matter of days, although the redness can remain on your skin for a week or so.
However, it is possible that the bite in question will cause you to have an allergic reaction. In that case, you should go to your family doctor immediately to prescribe the necessary medications.
How to remove fleas from home
Now that you know how to get rid of fleas on your body and on the hair of your beloved pets, we help you disinfect your house to combat the appearance of these pests, because surely the problem has originated there.
- When fleas are already installed in your home, you should use insecticides to counteract them. To do this, seek advice from experts who can help you find the best insecticide on the market. It is recommended that the insecticide contains, at a minimum, Permethrin to kill adult insects and Methoprene to kill eggs and larvae. You can also use this article on How to make natural insecticides, because you will find a step by step of the most useful to make your own insecticide.
- Read carefully the label of the insecticide you are going to use and follow its instructions to the letter so as not to cause poisoning in people and animals by misapplication.
- When a fumigation is carried out, animals and people who are not participating in it must leave the house for a reasonable period of several hours.
- after you have done the spraying, you should not touch things at home until the applied insecticide has dried.
- You have to select very carefully the most infected areas to fumigate them with greater intensity, since if any remain unsampling or poorly fumigated, the development and proliferation of fleas could occur again.
- It is recommended that you continue to vacuum daily until you do not see more fleas, but if after two weeks you continue to see them, you will have to perform another fumigation.
- You will have to treat your pets the same day of the fumigation, as this way the disinfection will give the desired effect. This article on How to eliminate fleas in pets can be of great help to you.
And if you want more information on How to scare away fleas both inside the house and in the garden, check out this other article from.