Plantar warts , popularly known as fish eyes, are small lumps with a layer of hard, thick skin that appear in different areas of our feet, such as the toes and heels. These warts appear on the outside of the skin due to an infection caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV), which manages to enter our body through cracks and cuts found on the feet.
Although fish eyes appear mainly on the feet, the human papilloma virus is contagious, so if we have touched the infected feet without any security measures, these warts can appear on other parts of the body such as the hands.
Causes and symptoms of fish eyes on the hands
As we have anticipated, fish eyes or plantar warts are small lumps that appear on the skin of the feet (especially on the fingers and soles) due to an infection caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV) , which manages to enter our body through wounds and cracks in this area of the body. However, why do fish eyes appear on the hands? This type of warts can appear on the hands mainly for two reasons:
- The first reason is that there are more than 100 types of variants of the human papillomavirus. While some of these variants can cause warts on the feet, other types of HPV can cause fish eyes on other parts of the skin, including the hands.
- The second reason is that HPV is a contagious infection that can be transmitted by direct contact. Therefore, if we have touched our feet infected with these warts without gloves or without taking hygienic measures, the condition can be transmitted to other parts of the body such as the hands.
Now that we know the reasons why we have these warts on our hands, below we will explain the main symptoms of fish eyes :
- Small lump with rough, grainy skin.
- Hardened and thick skin around the wart.
- Wart seeds or black dots in the center of the wart. They are actually clotted blood vessels inside the warts.
- Pain and tenderness in the affected skin of the hands.
Medical treatments to remove fish eyes on the hands
Now that you know both the causes and the symptoms of this viral infection, below we will explain what the main medical treatments are to eliminate fish eyes , both on the hands and on the feet:
- Cryotherapy: also known as “freezing therapy” is one of the most recommended methods by doctors to remove these warts. It consists of applying liquid nitrogen to the wart until it freezes so that the blood stops reaching its tissue. After a few minutes, the specialist will remove the remains of fish eyes with a scalpel or other sharp tool.
- Trichloroacetic acid: this treatment consists of the application by a podiatrist of a compound to eliminate fish eyes. It can only be done by a specialist since it is a substance rich in caustic agents, so if it is not applied to the specific area it can cause skin burns.
- Cauterization: it is a type of minor surgery performed by a doctor in which the entire area around the warts is cauterized in order to extract and eliminate them from the root.
- Laser therapy: like the previous one, this therapy also consists of a minor surgery that will be carried out by a specialist. It consists of a method where the doctor limits the blood vessels of the wart so that it cannot receive oxygen and other nutrients. In this way, the fisheye ends up drying out, making it much easier to remove.
- Salicylic acid: although this treatment can be used at home, it is recommended that it be done regularly by a doctor. It consists of the application of a substance that progressively eliminates both the layers of skin affected by the infection and the fish eye. Although it is an effective treatment, it is also slower than the rest since it usually lasts about 2 months.
How to remove fish eyes on hands with home remedies
There are also natural remedies that we can use to reduce these warts, but it is recommended that you discuss their use with your doctor, especially if you are going to start a medical treatment of the aforementioned. Due to the properties of these treatments, they can progressively eliminate warts on the hands and feet. Therefore, below we explain how to remove fish eyes on the hands with home remedies :
This vegetable is one of the best natural remedies for both fish eyes and any other infection as it has antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and antibiotic properties. To use it, you only have to crush a clove of garlic and apply it to the warts. Then cover it with a gauze and let it act for 1 hour. Finally, remove the ointment and wash the affected area well. Use this remedy 2 times a day. Here you can consult more about How to remove warts with garlic .
Tea tree oil
This compound is another very useful remedy for its antifungal, antibiotic, antiviral, antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Apply a few drops on the warts, cover the area with gauze and let the remedy act between 1 and 3 hours. Then remove the gauze and clean the area well. Apply it 2 times a day on the days that are necessary. In this other article we give you more instructions so that you know how to remove warts with tea tree oil .
Thanks to its composition in acetylsalicylic acid, aspirin manages to very progressively eliminate fish eyes from the hands. Dilute an aspirin pill in a finger of water and then apply the mixture to the warts, leaving it to act for 30 minutes. Clean the area with lukewarm water and then scrape the skin to remove dead cells. Use this remedy 2 times a day.