As its name suggests, bad breath is a condition where the sufferer gives off a repellent smell from the mouth. This oral problem is quite common today and usually appears for various causes or bad lifestyle habits such as poor dental hygiene, frequent drinking of alcoholic beverages, being a smoker and / or consuming certain foods that leave a bad smell such as coffee, garlic or onion. This condition can also appear due to the consumption of certain medications or as a symptom of a digestive problem.
In any case, there are different home remedies to combat this oral problem. One of the most effective natural treatments to reduce halitosis is cinnamon, as it is a medicinal plant with excellent aromatic properties. That is why in the following article of, we explain how to remove bad breath with cinnamon through a series of home remedies that you can do at home.
Properties of cinnamon to eliminate bad breath
Cinnamon, also known scientifically as Cinnamomum verum, is a medicinal plant from India that is used in different culinary dishes for its aromatic principles. However, in addition to being a popular spice, cinnamon is also used as a natural remedy to eliminate bad breath for its following medicinal properties:
- Cinnamon is an effective natural remedy to remove bad breath due to its high content of terpenes, which gives it approximately almost 50 aromatic active ingredients. These powerful aromatic properties make the usual use of this spice progressively give a good smell to our mouth.
- Its richness in coumarins and essential oils (especially vanilla) gives it excellent bacteriostatic properties, which help eliminate and prevent bacteria and other microorganisms accumulated in our mouth that cause halitosis.
- Its content in essential oils and vitamins provide this plant with antiseptic properties, which are very effective in deeply cleaning our mouth of food and other remains that produce a bad smell inside it.
- Finally, cinnamon also has digestive and carminative properties, which makes it a good remedy for some stomach problems that can cause symptoms such as flatulence, bad breath and vomiting.
How to remove bad breath with cinnamon
Now that we know why cinnamon is effective in removing bad breath, then we will explain how to prepare a mouthwash with this spice that will progressively reduce the unpleasant smell of your mouth. You just have to have the following ingredients at home and follow these instructions:
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 1 glass of mineral water
Preparation and treatment
- Add in a glass of warm mineral water, a tablespoon of cinnamon powder and then stir it well with a spoon until the mixture is well diluted.
- Once you have prepared the natural rinse, you will first have to brush your teeth in the usual way.
- Now take the rinse (without swallowing it) and gargle and move it through the mouth to rinse it for about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Finally, spit out the home remedy with cinnamon for halitosis and rinse your mouth with a little water.
This remedy is composed of natural ingredients, so if the bad breath is strong or you have been suffering from it for quite some time, then you will have to be very constant to notice the results well. Use cinnamon rinse to remove bad breath daily, after brushing your teeth, and from the beginning you will notice improvement.
Other home remedies with cinnamon for halitosis
In addition to the previous treatment, we can also make other natural remedies with cinnamon that are very effective in reducing halitosis. Among them we find:
Cinnamon and lemon rinse
For this remedy we will use lemon since, like cinnamon, it also contains excellent antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help cure bad breath quickly.
To prepare it first you will have to add in a glass with boiled water, two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and let it sit for a couple of minutes to infuse. When the infusion is warm, add the juice of half a lemon and stir everything with a spoon so that it mixes well. Finally, you will have to use it as in the previous step by step, as a mouthwash.
Ginger and cinnamon tea
Ginger root is considered a natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory, so mixing it with cinnamon creates a powerful remedy against bad breath.
To prepare the infusion we will fill a saucepan with half a liter of water and once it is boiling, we will add 2 small slices of ginger root with 3 cinnamon sticks. Let it boil for 5 minutes and then sit for about 5 more minutes. Then strain the contents and take it 3 times a day.
In this other article we discover the best infusions to combat halitosis, we recommend you read it and choose the one you like the most to make the treatment easier for you.
The last remedy is also simple but also effective as cinnamon powder or stick and chew it. To do this, add a little cinnamon powder in a spoon, or take a twig, and put it in your mouth. Then chew the spice for 1 minute without ingesting it as it could cause irritation. Finally spit out the seasoning and rinse your mouth with water until you remove the cinnamon residues.