Do you have a sebaceous cyst or lumps of fat and want to remove it as soon as possible? Sebaceous cysts are protrusions that form under the skin, are covered by it, move easily, are painless and usually contain sebum accumulated inside. Normally, their size is small and they disappear on their own after a while, however, if they become excessively inflamed or infected, drainage may be required through a simple surgical intervention. If you have a cyst of this type, find it unsightly and want to accelerate its disappearance, pay attention to this article in which we explain what are the best methods and natural remedies to remove a sebaceous cyst without surgery. What is a sebaceous cyst and why it occurs.
A sebaceous cyst or lump of fat is a kind of pouch that forms under the skin and that inside contains a liquid or semi-solid, viscous and fatty substance (sebum), which is rich in keratin, which is the protein found in the most superficial part of the skin, hair or nails.
These types of cysts usually occur when sebum, which is the substance that protects the skin naturally, blocks the sebaceous gland or hair follicles. In addition to this, they can also appear due to skin lesions or genetic factors. They usually appear most often on the face, neck, trunk, behind the ears, in the scrotum and in women, also in the external genitalia. Next, we list what are the characteristics and symptoms of a sebaceous cyst so that you can easily identify it:
- Small, round bump firm and easy to move with your fingers.
- They can be flesh-colored, although in some cases they have a white or yellowish coloration.
- They may have an opening or central point.
- Its size can vary from a few millimeters to about 5 cm in diameter approximately.
- It's painless.
- They grow slowly.
However, when a sebaceous cyst becomes infected or inflamed, it can also cause the following symptoms:
- Enlarged cyst.
- Reddened skin.
- Sensitive skin.
- Very warm skin on the affected area.
- Outflow of a foul-smelling grayish white matter from the cyst.
When to go to the doctor for a sebaceous cyst
Sebaceous cysts are usually not dangerous or a serious health problem. In many cases, these bumps disappear on their own or by applying moist heat on them to facilitate their drainage, as we will see in the next section on how to remove a sebaceous cyst at home. However, in the event that the cyst shows signs of infection or symptoms such as the following are observed, it will be necessary to go to the doctor to undergo the appropriate treatment:
- The cyst grows rapidly.
- It oozes a lot.
- It causes pain.
- He is very irritated.
- You have a fever.
When the sebaceous cyst is large, painful, highly inflamed or infected, the treatment required is surgical removal. In this case, treatment may vary depending on the duration of the infection:
- In an initial state of infection, the specialist usually prescribes the taking of analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antibiotic medications.
- When the infection has advanced and inside the cyst there is a significant amount of purulent material, it will be necessary to make a small incision around it for total drainage and completely eliminate it. This can also be combined with analgesic and antibiotic treatment. It is important to remove all the keratinous fluid and the sac that contains it so that it does not reproduce again. It is a simple intervention of short duration (between 15 and 30 minutes) that does not require hospital admission.
How to remove a sebaceous cyst at home without surgery
If you have a sebaceous cyst of reduced size that shows no signs of infection and you want to accelerate its disappearance and healing, you can carry out the natural measures or treatments that we show below. They will favor its drainage, reduce its inflammation and provide you with great relief. Take note of what are the most effective natural remedies to remove a sebaceous cyst without surgery:
Application of warm compresses
One of the best ways to remove a sebaceous cyst naturally is by applying warm compresses to the affected area. This will facilitate the rupture of the skin and the subsequent drainage of the cyst, eliminating all the fluid it contains inside. In addition, it will also reduce inflammation in the area and improve blood circulation. To do this correctly, follow these steps:
- Clean the area where the cyst is located with a little water and neutral soap. Do it carefully and gently.
- Apply a compress moistened with warm water to the cyst and leave on for about 15 or 20 minutes. When the compress has cooled, moisten it again.
- Repeat this treatment about 3 or 4 times a day to cure the sebaceous cyst more quickly.
- In the event that pus begins to come out of the cyst, place a clean bandage over the area to prevent infection.
Aloe vera is another of the best home remedies for sebaceous cysts, as it is antiseptic and anti-inflammatory, so it can be of great help to reduce swelling and fight bacterial infections. In addition to this, it is a great natural regenerator that accelerates skin healing and wound healing. Use it as follows:
- Apply a little aloe vera gel on the cyst and with your fingers massage the area gently.
- Let the skin absorb it completely and the aloe dry on its own.
- Repeat the treatment about 3 times a day for best results.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is a product with antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and healing properties, so it can help heal sebaceous cysts more quickly and prevent infections that can make it worse.
- Dilute about 4 drops of tea tree oil in 1/2 cup of water and stir.
- Using clean gauze, apply the diluted tea tree oil over the affected area and let it dry on its own.
- Repeat the treatment about 2 times a day.
Apple cider vinegar
You can also treat a sebaceous cyst at home with the help of apple cider vinegar. Its antibacterial and antiseptic properties are excellent for removing excess oil in the skin and avoiding possible infections. It is also anti-inflammatory and reduces discomfort.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in equal parts.
- Moisten a clean gauze in the mixture and place it on the fat cyst.
- Let it act for about 15 or 20 minutes.
Witch hazel water stands out for its astringent properties that reduce excess sebum and cleanse the skin deeply. It also has anti-inflammatory effects and helps improve blood circulation to the area affected by the cyst. If you want to use it to remove a sebaceous cyst without surgery, apply it as follows:
- Soak clean gauze in witch hazel water.
- Place the gauze on the bump for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat the treatment about 3 or 4 times a day.
How to Prevent Sebaceous Cysts
There are a number of habits and measures that you can adopt in your daily life to try, as far as possible, to prevent the appearance of sebaceous cysts:
- Lead a healthy lifestyle, follow a healthy and balanced diet, try to get enough rest and reduce stress to maintain a strong immune system. In the following article, you can learn in detail about how to strengthen the immune system naturally.
- Avoid overexposure to the sun and always use sun protection. This should be oil-free.
- Take care of your skin daily by moisturizing it with moisturizers suitable for you and exfoliate it frequently to avoid the accumulation of dead cells and ensure that the layers of the skin regenerate continuously.
- Avoid using cosmetic products with oils.