Taking star anise in tea or infusion is a very effective remedy to treat digestive problems, such as gas. Illicium verum comes from Asia, specifically the star anise plant is known as badiana or badiana from China and is well known for being a natural remedy to treat various digestive health problems. However, it is best to first consult with a doctor who helps us know exactly what problem we suffer from and what is the best treatment in each case. If star anise is part of the remedies that we can take according to the specialist, then we will need to know how it is prepared to be more effective.
In we want to help you by telling you how to prepare star anise for gas and other digestive disorders, such as inflammation of the colon, as well as explaining why it works in these cases, among other aspects. To prepare a star anise tea you will need a couple of teaspoons of this plant and little else. It's very easy, so take note and forget about gases.
Properties of star anise for gases
What properties does star anise have to treat gas and other digestive problems? This is the first thing to ask yourself when we consider taking it to treat these conditions, since it is convenient to really know what effects it can have on our body, so it is equally relevant to know the contraindications and side effects, which we will also see later. These are the reasons that answer why star anise is used to treat gases:
- Carminative: this plant has carminative properties, that is, thanks to its composition with anethole, estragole, limonene, caryophyllene and linalool among other components, it has the ability to reduce gases throughout the digestive, from the stomach to the colon, reducing flatulence, belching and colic.
- Digestive: it is widely used to improve especially difficult and heavy digestions, since it not only relieves gas but also improves the function of all this part of the body and is even anti-inflammatory. Therefore, this infusion can help you if you have a heavy digestion, whether you have a lot of gas or not.
- Diuretic and detoxifying: Another known effect of this plant is its ability to help remove toxins, retained fluids and other residues. For this reason, star anise is also used for weight loss and for people with fluid retention problems.
When thinking about gas colic problems it is easy to think that this is one of the most common problems of babies. But, in this case, it is very important to keep in mind that star anise was formerly recommended to treat gases in babies, but that today it has been shown to be harmful and that there are other remedies for this problem equally effective and that do not harm the health of the little ones.
But, in the case of adults, how do you prepare and drink star anise tea to relieve gas? Take note of the following recipe.
How star anise is prepared for gases
What is the amount of star anise for an infusion and how is it better to prepare it? This is the first thing that those who want to use this plant to relieve problems of gas and heavy digestion, as well as colon conditions, wonder. As we mentioned at the beginning, with two teaspoons of this plant per infusion is enough and to prepare an infusion of star anise to treat gases you just have to follow these indications:
- 2 small tablespoons star anise
- 1 large cup of water
- Put the indicated amount of water in a saucepan and let it warm up.
- When it breaks to boil, add the indicated amount of star anise and lower the heat leaving it at medium or low heat, depending on the power of your kitchen.
- Allow it to boil for 3 minutes and then turn off the heat, remove the saucepan and leave it covered by resting for 2 more minutes.
- Strain the resulting liquid and you will have the infusion ready to take.
How to take star anise for gases
To drink tea or infusion of this plant and relieve flatulence, belching and colic, as well as to improve difficult digestions, it is best to take it after each main meal. It is best to take it 2 times a day, after lunch and dinner, and if taken up to 3 times a day, include one more after breakfast.
In this amount it is only recommended to take it for a week, then it is best to reduce it to a daily infusion or stop taking it as soon as we are well.
How to prepare star anise for inflamed colon
Colitis or inflammation of the colon is one of the conditions of the intestines that can produce more gas and discomfort. For this reason, the infusion of star anise is also effective in these cases, as it will relieve gas and reduce inflammation. To prepare it for this digestive problem follow these steps, you will see that lemon is added, as it is a citrus that helps relieve this condition by being digestive and anti-inflammatory.
- 2 teaspoons star anise powder
- 1 large cup of water
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel zest
Preparation and treatment
- Boil the water in a saucepan and when it breaks the boil add the powdered anise.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes over low heat and after this time remove it from the heat.
- Cover the pot or saucepan so that the mixture sits for 15 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the end of the rest add the lemon rind zest.
- When the total 15 minutes have passed, strain the mixture and keep only the liquid to take the infusion.
- Take 2 cups a day, after lunch and dinner, and at most take up to 3 cups, adding one after breakfast. Take this infusion for 1 week, although you can stop taking it if you feel better before the end of the week.
Side effects and contraindications of star anise
It is very important to know well the possible side effects as well as the contraindications of any product, whether natural or chemical, before deciding to take it. Therefore, apart from informing yourself on sites like this, it is vital to discuss it with our doctor first. Thus, this is information that must be taken into account before taking this remedy for gases and problems such as inflammation of the colon:
Side Effects of Star Anise Infusion
If taken in the indicated amounts it does not have to be harmful to health, except if it is taken in some of the contraindicated cases that we also mention below. If this plant is taken in excess the side effects are as follows:
- Mental confusion.
- Muscle spasms.
- Nausea and vomiting.
Contraindications of star anise
- During pregnancy.
- In lactation.
- It is contraindicated to take it in children under 2 years of age.
- It is not recommended for people suffering from hypoestrogenism.
- People who are allergic to the Badiana plant or others in the same family.
Other Effective Home Remedies for Gas
Apart from the seeds of the Badiana plant from China, you can take other home remedies and even some you can mix, such as lemon juice with star anise. Take note of these juices and other infusions for the gases that contain as main ingredient plants, vegetables or fruits with effects similar to those of the badiana that we have discussed.
- Lemon balm
- Common yarrow
- Lemon juice
- Celery juice or broth
All these home remedies to eliminate gas are very effective, but it is always advisable to discuss them beforehand with a doctor.