Oregano ( origanum vulgare ) is much more than a garnish in Mediterranean cuisine. Originally from Southeast Asia, this herb is also known for its many uses outside the kitchen, as it is used in some cosmetics and natural remedies for its medicinal properties.
Oregano tea or infusion of oregano is a very effective natural remedy to stop cough and relieve inflammation and sore throat.
What is oregano tea for?
If you are looking for a home remedy for a cough, oregano tea can become your greatest ally. This herb is especially suitable for treating respiratory tract conditions, although it is also well known for providing great nutritional benefits.
Oregano infusion is mainly a powerful natural pain reliever that is used as a treatment to relieve the symptoms of respiratory conditions, especially in the throat area. In addition, it is also an excellent antiviral that you can consume to avoid virus infection.
To find out how good oregano tea is for coughs, it is best to review some of its most important properties:
- Anti- inflammatory : it is due to its contribution to an active compound called beta-caryophylline, which acts directly on conditions and disorders that derive from an inflammatory process.
- Expectorant : oregano tea opens and cleanses the bronchial tubes, preventing the accumulation of microbes that lead to infections.
- Antiseptic : helps treat respiratory infections thanks to its powerful antimicrobial power.
- Antitussive : acts as a soothing agent in the throat area, reducing redness and inflammation, and consequently, cough.
Oregano tea is one of the most effective home remedies for cough , both dry and productive. Due to its expectorant properties, its consumption is recommended to treat cough with phlegm. In the case of dry cough and localized irritation of the throat, oregano infusion is ideal for its anti-inflammatory and soothing power.
Benefits of oregano tea for cough
Among the many benefits of this medicinal herb for our body, its positive effects to end cough stand out. The contribution of oregano in respiratory conditions is threefold: it is a natural antitussive , it has a high anti-inflammatory power that relieves bothersome symptoms and helps fight infections due to its antiseptic properties.
Oregano tea has often been used as a natural syrup for coughs , whether dry or with phlegm. So that you do not miss any of its benefits, we leave you below a list with the most outstanding:
- Relieves symptoms : its multiple properties allow you to put an end to the uncomfortable cough, derived from many diseases such as colds or flu.
- Eradicates bacteria : its antimicrobial power is essential to combat respiratory infections.
- Reduces inflammation : Although it is a symptom derived from both types of cough, the inflammation and redness of the throat is especially accentuated with a dry cough. For this reason, oregano tea should be taken into account when it comes to a home remedy for dry cough, since it helps fight inflammation due to its contribution of beta-caryophyllin.
- Eliminates accumulated mucous : its expectorant properties contribute to the dissolution and expulsion of phlegm in the respiratory tract.
In addition to the benefits for dry cough, oregano is known to have many more properties and benefits for the body. If you don't want to miss any, check out our article What is oregano tea good for .
How to prepare oregano tea for cough
At this point, you are probably wondering how to prepare oregano tea for cough . Therefore, we leave you below the detailed step by step:
- Put 1 liter of water to boil.
- Prepare the dried oregano for the infusion. You can use reusable tea bags to infuse your oregano, which you only have to fill with about 20g of product.
- When the water reaches a boil, add the bag with the oregano.
- Let it rest for about 5 minutes before taking it.
- If you have not used a reusable bag, strain the tea before consuming it so that the leaves do not bother you when drinking.
If you find it too intense in flavor, you can sweeten it to your liking with honey. This ingredient will also help relieve sore throats caused by irritation from coughing. If you want to discover more about it, do not miss our article How to use honey for cough .
Also, you can opt for a variety of oregano more suitable for natural remedies, such as French oregano oregano. In addition to its dry format, you can buy it as a concentrated natural oil. The properties and benefits of oregano orejón tea for cough are similar to those of ordinary oregano, where its application for ear infections also stands out.
Oregano tea for cough: contraindications
Generally speaking, oregano tea for cough is a very safe infusion, as long as it is consumed in moderation. However, as with most medicinal plants for cough , there is a margin of risk that we must take into account when consuming it.
Oregano belongs to the labiatae genus, a family of plants that can cause gastric disturbances and liver poisoning. Therefore, the consumption of oregano tea or infusion is discouraged in the following circumstances :
- In pregnant or lactating women.
- In children under 12 years of age.
- In patients with previous intestinal problems such as gastritis or irritable colon.
- In people allergic to plants of the labiatae family.
In these cases, it is best to consult a doctor before starting any type of treatment, even if it is a natural remedy. In any case, always avoid excessive consumption of oregano tea, and try not to prepare it too concentrated.