Cholesterol is a serious health problem because there is a direct relationship with coronary heart disease and an increased cardiovascular risk. A reason why it is very important to have bad cholesterol under control and lower it while trying to increase the good cholesterol in the body to ward off any possible health condition.
Achieving this goal is not really that complicated. In fact, it is a combination of proper eating and exercise guidelines. In, we are going to explain the main guidelines of these two axes of action so that you know how to lower the bad cholesterol and raise the good one.
Foods that raise good cholesterol and lower bad cholesterol
To lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol, following a proper diet is totally fundamental and key. In addition, there are foods that, due to their properties, are great allies that will help you achieve this goal. These are the best:
- Tomato: This garden product is very beneficial because it is rich in lycopene, which is an antioxidant that prevents cholesterol from oxidizing. In addition, various investigations have shown that it slows down dyslipidemia, the name by which the increase in bad cholesterol or the decrease in good cholesterol is known. However, to take advantage of its benefits it is better to take it hot through, for example, natural sauces. This is because the heat causes more lycopene to be released.
- Olive oil: For many years this product has been on the food blacklist. The latest research has given you back the site you really deserve. And it is one of the best products to keep cholesterol at bay for its oleic acid content. Of course, you should always take it in moderate amounts, choosing (as far as possible) extra virgin olive oil and with cold extraction because it maintains all its properties better.
- Nuts: they are synonymous with good health, especially in relation to the cardiovascular system. Among the best are walnuts for their content of alpha-linolenic acid, which is a type of omega 3, which precisely lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol. In addition, with its consumption, the formation of clots is also prevented. You should always take them raw and without adding salt.
- Brown rice: this food is also beneficial because it provides a large amount of magnesium. The deficit of this mineral is associated with an increase in the level of lipids or fats in the blood, thus favoring the appearance of bad cholesterol.
- Oily fish: it is another of the key foods in a diet to raise the good cholesterol and lower the bad. As you know, its secret is in its high content of Omega 3.
- Green tea: This infusion is the best possible cleanser and degreaser of the arteries, thus helping to eliminate bad cholesterol. A process that it carries out thanks to its content of polyphenols.
- Apples: It is one of the best fruits that can be taken because it contains flavonoids, which prevent cholesterol from sticking to the arteries and the wall of blood vessels.
Foods that do NOT raise bad cholesterol
When preparing meals, you will surely have doubts about some foods because, on some occasions, as has happened with olive oil, they have become demonic, although it has later been shown that they are not harmful. Therefore, they can be taken:
- Ham: The latest research has shown that ham is not bad for cholesterol. Of course, you should consume it Iberian because the fats it provides are healthy and beneficial for the body by raising these pigs. Of the rest, you have to forget.
- Avocado: this food has the characteristic of being very fatty. This makes that, surely, you get the doubts about whether or not it can be eaten. The answer is yes. Their fats are also healthy. What's more, they raise good cholesterol.
- Wine: this drink is a little more doubtful. Actually, unless medically contraindicated, you can have a glass at meals because wine contains polyphenols, which raise good cholesterol. However, it is always best to take these polyphenols directly from grapes and avoid alcohol consumption.
- Egg: without a doubt, it is another of the foods that in recent years has generated more controversy. The latest research has shown that it can be eaten. What's more, it's even good to eat an egg every day because its white contains fatty acids that help raise good cholesterol. However, do not always take it fried. It is better the hard-boiled or cooked egg or in French omelets.
Exercise to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol
Physical exercise is another of the key pillars to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol. But, as always, not all activities are equally beneficial to this goal. In addition, everything depends on the capacity of each one and the intensity with which the sport in question is practiced:
- If you are going to do a light physical activity: it is best to walk at your normal pace, but always trying to make the walk last at least one hour. If possible, it must be done every day.
- If the activity is moderate: walking at a brisk pace is the best option, as is cycling, dancing or skating. Half an hour a day may be enough.
- If the activity is going to be intense: the best options are running or sports such as basketball, swimming, tennis or football.
As we have seen, there are really no home remedies to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol, but everything consists of exercising and eating an adequate diet to lower bad cholesterol quickly. Now that you know how to lower the bad cholesterol and raise the good one, you may also be interested in this other article on Cholesterol Diet.