Diabetes is a disease that consists of having very high levels of glucose in the blood and can be of two types: type I, where the body does not make insulin, and type II, where the body does not use insulin properly. Diabetes can appear at any time in a person's life, even in childhood. However, it is more common for this disorder to make its first appearance from the age of 45.
Among the most common symptoms of diabetes are increased appetite, blurred vision, fatigue and poor circulation in areas such as the legs, which can cause, in turn, varicose veins, numbness and tingling in that area. That is why, in the following article of, we explain how to improve the circulation of the legs in diabetics through a series of very easy to follow tips. Read!
Symptoms of poor circulation in the legs in diabetics
As we have advanced, one of the most common symptoms in people suffering from diabetes is poor blood circulation especially in legs, feet and hands. This means that these limbs do not get enough blood and, therefore, neither oxygen, which can bring us health problems in the future. Symptoms for recognizing poor circulation in the legs include the following:
- Cramps and numbness in the area.
- Appearance of varicose veins and varicose veins.
- Cold feet and little sensation in the extremities.
- Appearance of pruritus and edema in the area.
- Difficulty walking.
- Weakness in the feet.
- Headaches frequently.
If you want to know more, you'll find more information in this other article on Symptoms of Poor Blood Circulation.
Natural remedies to improve leg circulation
Poor circulation in the legs is a fairly common problem among people suffering from diabetes, either type I or type II. However, this does not mean that the symptoms of this problem cannot be reduced and even prevented. One of the best ways to improve blood circulation is through some natural remedies that contain nutrients with the ability to activate blood flow, either in the legs or in feet and hands. Next, we recommend that you try some of the following home remedies with circulatory properties:
Aloe vera juice
This plant has circulatory properties that activate the blood flow of our body. In addition, due to its richness in water and antioxidant substances, it also has a cooling effect that relieves other symptoms of poor circulation, such as cramps and pain in the legs.
To use aloe vera juice you can buy it directly made in any herbalist or prepare it at home, if you have a plant, and follow one of these two options:
- Take it directly: you will have to take three tablespoons a day of this juice, trying to take them not during meals. In this other article we teach you how to make aloe vera juice.
- Topical use: put the juice in the fridge and, when it is cold, apply it on your legs with the help of your hands. Perform a massage making small circles and always from the bottom up for 5-10 minutes.
Massage with almond essential oil
Thanks to its richness in healthy fatty acids (omega 3 and omega 6), antioxidants and vitamin E, almond oil has excellent circulatory properties that, through a massage, relieve heaviness in the legs and activate their circulation, in addition to leaving it softer and smoother.
To do a massage with almond oil that activates the circulation you will have to apply it on your hands and start from the ankles to the thighs. First you will have to massage for 5 minutes from the ankles to the calves, and then from this point to the thighs another 5 minutes. The massage will have to be exerting a little pressure with the fingers and making upward movements. Finally, when you're done, remove the oil with cold water.
Green clay poultices
Green clay is mineral rich in magnesium, potassium and silica, which makes it an ideal remedy for the treatment of this problem, as it contains anti-inflammatory, analgesic, absorbent and Remineralizing properties. Thanks to them, green clay relieves other problems of poor circulation in diabetics such as edema, pain and cramps in the legs and varicose veins or varicose veins, among others.
To prepare a green clay poultice you will first have to mix this mineral with a little cold water until a kind of mud is made and apply it on the thighs. Then with the clay on the skin, you will have to bandage your legs and let the remedy act overnight. The next day, remove the bandages and clean the area with cold water.
Exercises for the circulation of the legs in diabetics
In addition to using natural remedies, another way to gradually improve circulation in the legs in the case of diabetic people, is through a series of exercises. Try doing some of the following at home:
- Exercise 1: Lie on a mat upwards, raise your legs, and then bend them to your chest. Perform 20 repetitions of this exercise.
- Exercise 2: Lie on your back and raise your legs to a 90º angle. Then he simulates pedaling on a bicycle. Perform this exercise for 1-2 minutes.
- Exercise 3: Lie down again looking up, raise your legs so that they are stretched, and then separate them as much as you can. Then return to the starting position. Perform 15 repetitions.
- Exercise 4: Lie to the side and then elevate one leg so that it is stretched. Now you need to make circles clockwise. Perform 20 repetitions with each leg.
Now that you know how to improve leg circulation in diabetics, you may also be interested in this other article on How to Make Sweets for Diabetics.