Dizziness is a common discomfort in many people that, despite being temporary, can alert you to a bigger problem. Therefore, before the appearance of frequent dizziness, it is essential that you take action on the matter and go to the doctor to discover what the cause is.
Possible causes of dizziness
Dizziness is not a symptom that occurs out of nowhere and for no reason, as it is almost always a manifestation that something is wrong with our body. In general, there are two typical sensations when we refer to this illness: feeling that you are going to faint and pass out (motion sickness or motion sickness) and feeling that everything around you moves or “spins” (vertigo).
The latter is often confused with dizziness; however, vertigo can be caused by anxiety, as a side effect of taking a medication or by a vestibular system disorder.
Motion sickness, on the other hand, is usually caused by acute dehydration (for example, by being subjected to very hot weather or fasting for a long time), by an abrupt drop in blood pressure or by pregnancy. Dizziness causes loss of balance, which is often accompanied by a strong lightheadedness that can cause serious injury if you fall. Nausea, cold sweats, problems speaking, hearing and focusing vision can occur with both dizziness and vertigo.
In addition, it should be noted that if dizziness is frequent, these are a symptom of another disease; migraine, vision problems (myopia, cataracts, astigmatism, etc.), digestive problems, inner ear disorders (Ménière's disease), cervical problems, anemia, circulatory and/or neurological disorders, etc.
To rule out any of these diseases, if the dizziness is frequent and is accompanied by any of the symptoms mentioned above, you should go to the doctor to detect the origin of the dizziness and find the best treatment for your case.
If, on the other hand, the dizziness is not intense and you want to relieve the discomfort quickly, here we leave you the best home remedies to get rid of dizziness quickly.
Eliminate dizziness and nausea with ginger tea
Ginger has many very beneficial properties for dizziness and nausea, something that we must thank gingerols and shogaols, two substances in its composition. These substances have antiemetic properties , so that they increase gastric motility, promote digestion and significantly reduce the feeling of discomfort, dizziness and nausea.
So, if you are looking for natural remedies to prevent motion sickness before a trip , ginger tea is one of your best options. Do you want to know how to get rid of dizziness and nausea with ginger tea? Follow this step by step:
- Bring two cups of water to a boil in a pot.
- When the water is about to boil, add the grated ginger root. It is important that it is the root, since it is the part of the food where almost all the properties are concentrated.
- Let the water boil for five minutes, then remove it from the heat.
- Strain the infusion and, if you wish, add a splash of lemon or honey to your tea.
Lemon juice to get rid of dizziness fast
If you feel like vomiting, you feel sick and you don't know how to get rid of dizziness quickly, lemon juice can become your best ally.
And it is that this citrus is ideal for treating stomach problems naturally; helps clean the intestinal walls and balances the pH of the stomach in a matter of minutes. So, before the appearance of dizziness and stomach pain, do not hesitate to follow these steps:
- Wash and cut 4 lemons in half.
- With a manual juicer or juice extractor, extract all the juice from the citrus.
- Strain the juice (if you don't want to find the lemon pips and their pulp extracts) and pour it into a glass.
- If you want, you can add two tablespoons of honey to improve its flavor.
You can drink a glass of lemon juice at any time of the day to stay hydrated, purify your stomach and avoid dizziness caused by a digestive problem.
Valerian tea for anxiety and dizziness
Anxiety, a disorder that can cause intense dizziness and a feeling of instability (among other things), must be treated at its root to lead a healthy life free of constant worries. we advise you to go to a health professional so that they can diagnose your problem and come up with an effective and appropriate treatment, since no home remedy alone can take away your anxiety.
However, it is possible to alleviate the symptoms and discomfort of this nervousness with natural infusions if they are combined with relaxation techniques and healthy habits. In this case, valerian tea is an effective and natural remedy for anxiety, since it is a plant that acts directly on the main inhibitory neurotransmitter of the nervous system and reduces stress and anxiety levels .
- Put half a liter of water on the fire and, before it starts to boil, add 10 g of valerian root.
- Let the water boil for 10 minutes.
- Once this time has passed, remove the mixture from the heat and let it rest for a few more minutes.
we recommend you drink 2 to 3 cups a day and always drink one of them a few minutes before going to sleep, as it will help you rest better. In addition, this article on The best infusions to calm anxiety may be useful to you.
Celery juice to relieve symptoms of vertigo
Known for its medicinal properties, celery juice is excellent for purifying the body, relieving stomach and liver disorders, and raising blood pressure naturally .
Faced with a sudden drop in blood pressure and an intense feeling of dizziness, we recommend that you go for celery juice. In addition, this ingredient has antiemetic and antinauseous properties that will help you get rid of that discomfort as soon as possible.
- Cut 6 fresh celery stalks, removing leaves and stems.
- Wash the stems well, chop them and put them in the blender. Be sure to remove blemishes and uneven textures from the stems.
- Blend the stems until they are mush. Then, add two glasses of water and blend for 20 more seconds.
- Pour the juice into a 1 liter glass container and complete the measure of the container with cold water.
- Add sugar to taste (if you want to sweeten the drink) and mix well before serving.
Take celery juice with your meals when you feel dizzy and you will see how it is possible to recover from dizziness and nausea almost instantly. In this article on How to combat vertigo, we will talk in more detail about this disorder and how to alleviate its symptoms.
Peppermint for nausea and stomach problems
Ideal for relieving intense stomach pain and preventing nausea, mint will help you get rid of dizziness and that discomfort typical of digestive disorders. Among its medicinal properties, we find that this plant relieves intestinal spasms , stimulates the production of bile and acts as a vasodilator.
Keep in mind that this natural remedy to get rid of motion sickness will only work if the sensation is caused by stomach problems or general discomfort.
- Boil several mint leaves in a pot for 10 minutes.
- Serve the tea infusion by adding some honey to sweeten the drink.
- If you prefer, you can also eat the mint leaves cooked. You will see how, by eating or drinking this plant, you quickly recover the energy and stability necessary to combat dizziness.
Apple juice to get rid of dizziness fast
If you suffer from dizziness caused by hypoglycemia problems, apple juice will help you get rid of those unpleasant blackouts. The apple allows you to regulate blood sugar levels , also providing fiber and nutrients that improve digestion. To prepare apple juice to remove motion sickness, follow these steps:
- Wash and cut into pieces four red apples. Scoop out the seeds from the center.
- Put the apple pieces (with the skin included) in a pot with 1 liter of boiled water.
- Bring the apple pieces to a boil over medium heat and let them cook until they soften completely.
- Strain all the juice and pour it into a glass container. If you find the taste unpleasant, you can add a teaspoon of honey.
Remedies for cervical dizziness
Dizziness caused by cervical contractures is much more common than it seems, since it is a muscle in constant movement that protects a very delicate area of our body. So, how can we get rid of the inflammation of this musculature? Are there remedies for cervical dizziness?
Although, as always, it is best and safest to go to the doctor, exercises and stretches to correct posture and relieve neck pain are very useful. In this article on How to do cervical stretches, we propose a few perfect exercises to relieve muscle pain and stop feeling those annoying dizziness.
In addition, applying heat to the affected area for a few minutes (no more than 15) will perform a vasodilator function that will relax the entire area. we recommend the use of a mat, as it is an economical and very effective solution that will relieve your discomfort in a matter of minutes.
In addition, ibuprofen and other mild anti-inflammatory drugs are very beneficial for cervical dizziness, as they manage to relieve pressure in the area.
How to get rid of motion sickness fast with food
Dizziness often occurs when we have a strong drop in blood pressure. At that moment we feel weak and we are invaded by the feeling that we will fall at any moment… this also happens when we are dehydrated, since the lack of water in the body makes us feel intensely tired.
In this case, when you begin to feel the symptoms of dizziness, it is best to start hydrating yourself by always having a bottle of water at hand. If the symptoms have already worsened and you feel very weak, eat one of the following foods:
- Dark chocolate
These foods are perfect for raising blood pressure quickly and naturally, however, they will only work when the problem is caused by low blood pressure. If you often suffer from dizziness and you don't know what is causing it, see your doctor first, as it could be a more serious problem.
Other tips to eliminate dizziness fast
As we have already seen, dizziness can be a symptom of anxiety, inner ear disorders, stomach problems or tension, and even cervical contractures. But in addition, many times we find the origin of these dizziness in bad habits, since a busy and poorly cared for life can often lead us to suffer from this unpleasant discomfort.
Here are some more tips so you know how to control and avoid your dizziness. Take note:
- Avoid getting up suddenly when lying down.
- Always stay hydrated, especially when you are in very hot areas.
- Avoid fasting for a long time.
- When you travel, try to keep your eyes forward, avoid reading books and do not eat heavy things.
- Always carry mint, liquorice or a bit of dark chocolate in your pocket.
- When you feel dizzy, sit in a comfortable chair and remain still, inhaling and exhaling deeply and continuously to regain stability. If you feel that fainting is imminent, lie down on the ground to avoid a sudden fall.
- Go to the psychologist if you think that your dizziness and instability may be due to a state of constant nervousness and anxiety.
- Propose to your doctor the option of doing balance therapy, clinically known as vestibular rehabilitation. This therapy is ideal for people who suffer from vertigo, since in it they learn exercises to optimize the vestibular system.
In addition, we insist that you go to the doctor as soon as possible if your dizziness is frequent or very intense, since an exact diagnosis will be necessary to find the best medications for dizziness or vertigo.